How glue to polythene?

Page 1 of 2
How can I best glue to polythene?
The polythene in question is dense and is taken from the nozzle of a bottle. I need to glue it into place.
Of course I will key the polythene with many scatches but I need a glue which will stick to it.
Will Araladite stick to polythene? Will superglue stick to polythene?
glue gun

roy davidson wrote:

This is deffinitely the best option for polythene (polyethylene).
--
Grunff

More like least-worst, as in nothing is really good.
I have experienced the "hot melt" glues including/and the glues used in glue guns to have some (but short of full) ability to stick to polyethylene and the similar polypropylene.
Epoxy sometimes has ability to stick to (and with much less than normal full ability) to polyethylene, and I suspect only that good to some grades of polyethylene - there are different grades of polyethylene.
Please consider similarity of polyethylene to the similar (but even less gluable) polytetrafluoroethylene, AKA PTFE, aka "Teflon" (I believe a trademark of one of the more major manufacturers thereof) - famously "no-stick"!

If you were to make mall holes through the polythene and epoxy on both sides, you might get better holding power
--
geoff

Is polythene the same as polyethylene?
Not knowing the answer to your question, I decided to do some research. A great number of glues say they will not work on polyethylene. I only found one that said it would; a 3M spray adhesive. But your application doesn't sound right for a spray adhesive.
Some people say they have had success with hot melt glue. I tried it once and it didn't work; but YMMV.
Cori popped their head over the parapet saw what was going on and said

May not be relevant but:- You can find worldwide very expensive LOCTITE glue (Loctite 406,20g), and its primer (Loctite 770,10g) for soft plastics (polyethelyne).
Always wondered is polythene and polyethelyne the same thing.
yours S

Polyethelyne is the correct chemical name. Polythene is actually the trade name for it, coined I believe by ICI.
Dave
again
Dave Stanton wrote:

No, polyethylene is the correct name.

Thats what I said or cant you read.
Dave
again

He can read just fine, and, no, that isn't what you said. You misspelled it. He didn't.
Dave Stanton wrote:

No, I can read, but you can't, and you can't spell either.
Look again. Carefully.

and then wrote in another post almost immediately:

I;d do this
Elessar wrote:

That's typing, not spelling.
Yes, but what window did she come in through?
soup wrote:

No, but polyethylene is...
The Natural Philosopher popped their head over the parapet saw what was going on and said

Thanks for correcting me was probably a typo, but I didn't proof read.
--
yours S

not helpful I know but P.E. is normally fused. Gas and water mains for example.
mark b
Cori writes:

Cannot be done, for most definitions of "glue".
Some contact adhesives will stick to it, but that is not "gluing" per se.
On Tue, 03 May 2005 20:52:54 -0500, Richard J Kinch

It can, but you need to flame flash the surface first by passing the flame from something like a propane torch over it briefly. Flashing is a method of surface preparation for many low surface energy plastics, such as polypropylene or polyethylene.
Surface energy defines the ability of adhesives to wet plastic surfaces and allow adhesion. Surface wetting refers to how well a liquid flows and intimately covers a surface.
Maximum adhesion develops when the adhesive thoroughly wets the surface to be bonded. The better the wetting the better the surface contact and the greater the attractive force between the adhesive and the plastic surface.
Surfaces with low surface energy are more difficult to bond because conventional adhesives cannot wet them resulting in minimal contact with the plastic surface and unsatisfactory bonds.
If you put a drop of water on polyethylene it beads, if you put it on the same surface after flame flashing it will spread. Once flashed even cyanoacrylate (Superglue) will work successfully on polyethylene.
--
Peter Parry.
http://www.wpp.ltd.uk/