How, Get Rid of Interefence from DVD

I have a memorex dvd, in my living room, and in my bedroom I have 2 am radios. If the dvd player is plugged into the outlet(even in standby mode, switch off) I get a tremendous amount of static on my am channels. But if I unplug the dvd player static or interefence stops. How can I correct this problem?

Larry

Reply to
Larry Von

Keep the dvd player unplugged.

Reply to
Rose

Try a REAL DVD player. Most of the Memorex stuff I've seen in the last ten years is pretty well bottom rung Chinese crap.

Reply to
clare

On 1/4/2009 1:56 PM snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca spake thus:

How 'bout a power-line filter to stop stuff from going out from the player? Seems as if a couple of small capacitors (0.01 uf or so) should do the trick.

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

Hi, Even on stand by, the power supply is active which is generation hash noise being a switching type power supply. Quickest fix is buy ferrite cores, wrap the power cord around the core(you may need more than one) to choke off the noise. You can install core(s0 inside the player. Generally cheap product has a reason to be sheap.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

In the old tube-type radio days, 60-cycle hum could be mitigated by simply turning the plug 180° in the socket. Today, it's tougher, what with polorized plugs and sockets.

Reply to
HeyBub

Go to your local Goodwill and buy a new DVD player for ten bucks. (Or spend a few more at the big-box and buy a new one.) Cheaper than screwing with filters and such.

-- aem sends...

Reply to
aemeijers

On 1/4/2009 2:22 PM HeyBub spake thus:

Yes, but that was a different problem: here, it's noise, probably somewhere in the low RF range, being generated by the DVD and transmitted over the power lines.

As someone else said, ferrite beads in strategic places in the DVD (maybe just on the power cord) might work, as well as my suggestion of a couple of filter capacitors.

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

Of course one can cut off the polarizing wide parts of the plug, or use a rubber cube tap, which is usually soft enough that one can force the plug in the wrong way.

Reply to
mm

Hi,

60Hz hum and hash noise are two different animals. Reversing plug reversed polarity of the transformer winding minimizing inductive coupling. Poorly made cheap power supplies have no noise supression or shielding. For an example, compare mil-spec. vs. commercial grade vs. consumer grade power supplies.
Reply to
Tony Hwang

Hi, So he can have two DVD players emitting noise?, LOL!

Reply to
Tony Hwang

If you can, try another outlet that's on a different breaker in your breaker box. An extension cord is good for testing to see which receptable might or might not work before hauling things around; either the radio or DVD unit. Assuming the requisite FCC Part 15 or equivalent is marked on the product, this should work.

You could try re-orienting the radio (its antenna, actually) just in case it's an RF interference (usually in the intermediate freq area, not the station freqs). Often moving the antenna 90 degrees will stop that kind of interference. OTOH sometimes reorienting the DVD player works too but it's usually easier to move the radio. If the radio will run on batteries, try that & see what happens. IF it still get the noise when run by battery, then it's pretty sure to be an RF thru the air issue rather than ac wiring noise.

Does either the radio or DVD system have a 3-pin plug? If so, is the

3rd wire (earth ground) properly wired in the outlet, AND the 3-pin prong still completely in tact? e.g. not cut off? Radio Shack et al has a $10 cheapie plug in detector that will tell you whether the outlet's hot/neutral are in the right place and that the earth ground is connected. Output is just reading which of 3 or 4 LEDs or lites comes on. I think I saw one for $8 last weekend when I was in for batteries. Cyberguys.com carried them too, last I knew.

If reorienting and choosing a differen outlet on a different breaker don't make any changes, at least they were easy tests to make. After those, the interference is most often through the ac power lines. I just usually check the quick & easy things first, then they're at least eliminated.

You can buy "line filters" whose purpose is to stop such interference. Not expensive & often a Radio Shack item. Often works well. There are a couple different kinds from the ones you just plug into, to ferrite cores that snap around the power cord. Ferite cores are the easiest to apply, the plug-in types sometimes a little better at stopping the noise if made my a quality outfit.

BTW, it doesn't require the DVD have a switching power supply to create such noise altough most do these days: All it takes is the right diff in freqs between the source and the receiving point to make static sounding noises.

HTH

Twayne .

Reply to
Twayne

I wish I could help you but others have used up any ideas I might have. You just remind me of my situation. If I am watching channel 11 in analog, either tuned in through the tv, or tuned at the DVDR and watched on the same TV, and the FM radio is on, on some stations, I get a whited out picture on the tv. The blacks are grey and the other colors have low saturation. On other FM stations, the saturation is good but there are about 20 black stripes down the picture. On other stations, the picture is fine. The AM stations don't cause problems.

Because it takes several seconds for the relay to close when I turn the radio on, sometime I leave it on when watching tv to listen to it during the commercials. Can't do it if it I'm watchinng channel 11 and listening to C-span.

Worse yet, I can't listen to C-span when recording channel 11, or the picture is washed out.!!

I guess in February this all goes away.

Reply to
mm