How flat for laminate countertops?

Greetings, While attempting to level the joint between the glued on oak edging and the plywood counter top, I accidentally sanded some of the plywood and created subtle undulations that follow the different grains on the plywood. How flat does it have to be or what can I use to fill these ' voids ' ?
handhillsrancher wrote:

It must be very flat. No voids. Although you can get away with having voids under the laminate, if you should drop anything on that particular spot, then you will have a cracked laminate countertop. Voids are easy to fill with rock hard water putty. Overfill, then lightly hand sand until flat.
--
Robert Allison
Rimshot, Inc.