How fast should interior temperature drop?

Page 2 of 2

kevins_news wrote:

Sounds like you have it under control.

OK. Here's my thoughts... Fist, one needs to know the "U" factor of the entire composite of the walls and ceilings in order to compute any heat loss. Second, wind speed around the house, and third (in the old days anyway) crack sizes anywhere in the house. I've seldom seen two houses that will leak heat at a given equal rate. There's always one or two things governing the heat loss of a building. You could actually try some night when the time is right but to "suggest" a guideline would be impractical. Lastly (and just a friendly jab at our wonderful Canadian neighbors whom I dearly love and respect) heat losses and BTU calculations are actually figured using the Farenheit scale simply because it's more accurate. 0 to 100 = 100 degrees but 32 to 212 = 180 degrees. It's more exact. Now I'll shut my mouth but I love you folks up north! Hell, you're only a mile from my house and I can hear your cows mooing at night!
Doug
Best way is to try it one night and chart the thermo.
--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math
Your just going to have to try it for yourself. In my center unit townhouse I have nobody living next door, but I can turn off my heat even on a very cold night and it never gets below 50 degrees. Actually, the only time I really run the heat is first thing in the morning, so I can step out of the shower into a warm room for a few minutes. And my house has no insulation in it. I'm sure that having a basement helps.