How effective is the National Do Not Call Registry?

Page 2 of 3
In belched:

if people didn't answer and buy what ever they are selling, they would soon be gone. so obviously it is quite profitable

Typical of all things govnmt tells you on how *they* are going to help you.
Per Kurt Ullman:

+1 here in Pennsylvania. I still have a stack of their lame-sounding letters.
--
Pete Cresswell

Per Lee B:

I got one of those type calls and asked "Haven't you ever heard of the Do Not Call List?"
His reply - just before hanging up - "Haven't *you* ever heard of the Do Not Care List?".
--
Pete Cresswell

(PeteCresswell) wrote:

That was another good idea gone wrong. Since an unsubscribed/uninitialized cellphone is very difficult to trace they have been used to make false 911 calls, sometimes hundreds from the same phone. The flip side is unless you're able to give the dispatcher your location and personal data verbally they won't have access to it.
Even a subscribed cellphone can have problems. There have been instances where a call made from the western Virgin Islands is picked up by a tower in Puerto Rico rather than the VI. So, you may be explaining the nature of your emergency to a calltaker without much English and no clear protocol to contact responders in the VI.
At least in the CONUS, if you wind up talking to a PSAP in the wrong county or jurisdiction they are a little more used to transferring calls.
VOIP throws a little more fat in the fire. Even my home internet connection is wireless, so I'm assigned an ephemeral IP from Verizon's pool. I can tell by the weather forecast and ads that turn up on Google where I am that day, Sunnydale CA, Jordan UT, OK City, and so forth. Cute when you're getting the weather from someplace a thousand miles away, not so cute if you're bleeding out and call 911.
Per Buster Hymen:

This is the first solution I have seen that might work for me.
Only extra feature that I'd call a deal breaker is the ability for the user to manually add to the WhiteList. The audio Captcha is a bit onerous to inflict on everybody who calls me - so I would want to spare them even that one trip through it by pre-populating the WhiteList from, say, my cell phone's contact list.
But the link given on the vid points to some offshore/foreign language site.... so I wonder if the project got stepped on by somebody.
--
Pete Cresswell

In belched:

I just had a call that beats all calls that I've ever gotten. Caller ID showed my own home number calling my number and was a robo credit card service. They all should be lined up and shot!!!!!
On 06/30/2014 05:17 PM, ChairMan wrote:

Simple solution. The government just needs to put a nice bounty on them, dead or alive.

Since I put my number in the registry 6 or 7 years ago, I only get calls from charities. politicians, and my own credit card. It worked for me. Used to get all kinds of spam calls.
Vic Smith: Lucky you!
On Mon, 30 Jun 2014 20:06:01 -0500, Vic Smith

Yes, me too. The three things you name are not covered by the Do Not Call law and that's fine with me. I think the do not call list is great.
That said, about 6 months ago I started getting calls from Cardholder Services,
And I got one call wanting money or my computer woudl break. I insulted that guy and no one like that has called me back.
WRT Cardholder Services, I played games with them and insulted them, and perhaps that's why they call about 3 times a week, twice in one day once, but I think it more likely that they xeroxed the list of numbers and gave out several copies with mine on it.
I'm thinking of getting caller-id because of them and because of one lonely guy I met with no car who calls me when he has to walk some place, but I likely wouldn't remember the numbers of the people I do want to talk to.
They have a messgage push some number to be taken off our list, and I naively tried it. Maybe they just say that to verify the number. is in use. If they're playing that game, maybe I'll put that 3-tone number is not in service in front of my regular message and see if that stops them. The cordless phones I have light up when someone is calling and the light goes out as soon as they hangup. Maybe I'll see them hangup just as the 3 tones end.
It's several places online and I think I even dl'd it already.

Try filing a complaint. Might work. And I think you can tell a business where you're a customer to put your number on *their own* do not call list.

I've tried insulting those clowns, but it is impossible to insult a total idiot.

On Tue, 01 Jul 2014 22:41:21 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

I did get a rise out of one woman. I asked her if her father knew what she did to get money. And she said "Feck you". or some mispronunciation of the obvious well known phrase. (It's amazing that after only 2 months,I can no longer remembe exactly what she said. )
I ask women if their father knows what they do, and men if their mothers know. I know that some of these girls don't feel close to their fathers, maybe were even abused by them, but I think most girls even in the countries these people call from aren't in that situation, and they want the respect of their fathers. I'll admit, if I were broke and needed money to eat. I'd take a job like this too, and even worse.
I don't use the phrase, "earn a living". I just say "get money".

Since I only [well most of the time] use Win98, there is NO way that any messages went out from this system to microsoft telling of problems, PLUS am located in rural area so dial up is only access and that is NOT simultaneous to telco either, so when I received call I was curious, acted dumb, and followed the request, machine ON? yes, etc, etc. But when she asked me to find the "STAR" on my screen, I had NO idea what she was talking about. I asked what STAR? She said STAR in lower corner. I don't see any STAR. There is NO STAR on my machine. That is when she got foul mouthed Really shocking foul mouth, too. So I told her that all the incoming calls here are logged and tracked and traced for security and it's against FCC Rules to use foul language over the public telephone system, she went click! It was only then that I realized she meant 'START' not 'STAR' Boy did I feel foolish. Somebody should tell these ladies to annunciate better, AND to get a better VOIP because the one they're using was terrible! Well, that bit of entertainment was cheap.

I suppose you also wondered why your credit card company was giving you frog protection (grin).
but what they conceal is vital."
Rick posted for all of us...
And I know how to SNIP

+1
--
Tekkie

One day I got a call from myself !!!??? I didn't answer it. Then, my smoke alarm low battery started to go off !!???
I did a lot of thinking that day.
Greg

Its not, just like everything else the government tries to "help"us with. The only thing that is effective is caller ID and an answering machine. It's *MY* phone, I don't have to answer it if I don't want to, even if I know who's calling. One of these is nice to add to the mix too. (Amazon.com product link shortened)
ChairMan wrote: "It's *MY* phone, I don't have to answer it if I don't want "
Yes, and it's MY house, and MY right to peace and quiet without the F___ING PHONE ringing every 10-10 minutes including during meals!
ChairMan wrote: "It's *MY* phone, I don't have to answer it if I don't want "
Yes, and it's MY house, and MY right to peace and quiet without the F___ING PHONE ringing every 10-20 minutes including during meals!