How effective is the National Do Not Call Registry?

From the web site......... Scammers have been making phone calls claiming to represent the National Do Not Call Registry. The calls claim to provide an opportunity to sign up for the Registry. These calls are not coming from the Registry or the Federal Trade Commission, and you should not respond to these calls.

A message from the Department of Redundancy Dept.

Reply to
Seymore4Head

Hi, Here in Canada it fizzled off, done nothing. Unwanted calls are ever so increasing, real pain in the b#**. Now I screen calls with answering machine.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

We are on the list, and still get 3-5 calls per day. Latest ones show addr ess and telephone number of our local city government as the calling party, but it's just another credit card scam. Going to call the sheriff and pol ice depts about the use of official name and phone number

Reply to
hrhofmann

I find it very effective for most calls, but there are the few that ignore it. We get frequent calls from Card Services and from security alarm places.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

I used to be a real zealot in sending the AG's office information when people called me. They usually ended up sending me stuff that said the people were untraceable VOIP phones. Most of the time I was ratting out local small businesses and that seemed unfair. Now, I only rat the businesses that continue to call me after I ask them to stop. Although I am considering a policy to turn in every roofing contractor that calls me after a hail storm. '

Reply to
Kurt Ullman

It certainly used to be a lot more effective than it is today. I get an awful lot of junk calls. Some to my cell phone, as well.

I don't know for sure, but I'd bet that this tailing off in effectiveness is at least to some extent due to lack of enforcement funds. Remember the sequester?

Reply to
rangerssuck

Telescammers have moved their robodialer operations off US soil so they are essentially untouchable by the US government.

Reply to
Rick

Whole thing totally sucks. I have a business phone that I quit answering. Calls can come from anywhere in the world and US govt. can's do diddly.

Reply to
Frank

I had a call several weeks ago from some local home improvement company

- "Have you ever thought about improving your home". My response "have you ever thought about the fact that I'm on the not call list?". He claimed that the list of numbers they bought were supposed to have been cleaned to remove the DNC numbers. HA - get your money back! I do have to say though that I haven't gotten a call from that particular company lately.

Reply to
Lee B

It's not that our government can't do diddly it's that you-know-who is too busy fund raising to give a crap.

Reply to
Gordon Shumway

Oh goody! Another phony scandal fabricated by a rightwing retard!

Reply to
None

Up here in Canada it's never been effective at all. If I was cynical I'd think they sold the list to telemarketing firms as a "sucker list".

Reply to
clare

How effective is DoNotCall?

It's so effective that the number of unsolicited calls to my landline & cell has gone up EXPONENTIALLY since I registered them!

Reply to
thekmanrocks

One day I got a call from myself !!!??? I didn't answer it. Then, my smoke alarm low battery started to go off !!???

I did a lot of thinking that day.

Greg

Reply to
gregz

Its not, just like everything else the government tries to "help"us with. The only thing that is effective is caller ID and an answering machine. It's *MY* phone, I don't have to answer it if I don't want to, even if I know who's calling. One of these is nice to add to the mix too.

ChairMan

ChairMan wrote: "It's *MY* phone, I don't have to answer it if I don't want "

Yes, and it's MY house, and MY right to peace and quiet without the F___ING PHONE ringing every 10-10 minutes including during meals!

Reply to
thekmanrocks

ChairMan wrote: "It's *MY* phone, I don't have to answer it if I don't want "

Yes, and it's MY house, and MY right to peace and quiet without the F___ING PHONE ringing every 10-20 minutes including during meals!

Reply to
thekmanrocks

You don't even know what "exponentially" means.

Reply to
None

Is his statement incorrect or are you just a self-appointed usenet nitpicker?

Reply to
Chuck Finley

Chuck Finley wrote: "8:42 AMChuck Finley

Oh so you know about 'None' too? Use the search skills I'm sure you have, and find ANY IP addresses connected to him/her, and REPORT them to the authorities.

This prick follows me all over usenet deriding everything I post.

Reply to
thekmanrocks