How does the typical mains power connect in the USA anyway?

Page 13 of 16
Not very well. Near me, 5,000 people without power.
+1

On 11/27/2013 2:00 PM, Nightcrawler® wrote:

I wonder what people do, in such a case. Me, I get the generator out. Light a few stove burners, light off some candles, oil lamp, that kind of thing.
--
.
Christopher A. Young

I used to have a generator. Not here. I do have a 60,000 BTU floor furnace that could double as a stove. As for electrical stuff, I guess I could suffer without for a bit. Lights? I don't need no stinking lights! *thump, doh!*
On 11/27/2013 4:31 PM, Nightcrawler® wrote:

Thanks. Got a laugh out of that mental picture. So totally Homer Simpson, there.
--
.
Christopher A. Young

That why you're called a night crawler??
LOL! Sure, why not. :-)
On 11/27/2013 09:06 AM, TimR wrote:

It is not two phase, it is a single phase sin wave.
AC current changes direction 120 times per second.
At any point in time (with exception of crossing 0), the electricity is either flowing
from L1 thru the neutral to L2
or
from L2 thru the neutral to L1
On 11/27/2013 10:12 AM, Ed wrote:

So, 60 cycles per second changes 120 times?
--
.
Christopher A. Young

confusing, but yes. the key phrase is 'changes'
take a sine wave at the top goes from forward to reverse, at the bottom goes from reverse to forward, so in one cycle at 60 Hz, you've changed direction twice, or 120 times.
The better point might be to ask, "what the hell have you gained by this type of confusing model/dialogue?"
People should say what they mean, mean what they say; and get on with it. This thread has turned into a troll's paradise.
On 11/27/2013 10:39 AM, RobertMacy wrote:

Yah, you're right. There are a whole bunch of 2-phased trolls here.
On 11/27/2013 12:31 PM, Ed wrote:

Can't never trust two phased trolls, living in houses where they pay for sin waves.
--
.
Christopher A. Young

Actually, they only provide the sin waves. You still pay for them...

--
.
Christopher A. Young
On 11/27/2013 10:21 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Yes, reference a 60 hz AC sin wave. It changes direction twice per cycle.
On 11/27/2013 10:42 AM, Ed wrote:

I'm a church going man. Won't have sin wave in my house!
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On 11/27/2013 10:58 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

ROFLMAO! I'm so used to using the math function sin(Ø) that I forgot it was spelled sine.
On 11/27/2013 11:37 AM, Ed wrote:

Didn't know that. Nice to provide a laugh, now and again. Need a laugh, here, after moving six inches snow off the driveway. And then the church sidewalk.
--
.
Christopher A. Young

You must be boring to be around on New Year's Eve. :-)
On 11/27/2013 2:01 PM, Nightcrawler® wrote:

After the 27th round of "Angels we have heard on high", a couple people started to gnaw off their own legs to get away. They weren't at all impressed when I tried to put them to bed at 9 PM, sleeping separately of course.
--
.
Christopher A. Young