How does one drill a hole in a guardrail anyway?

Couple of bungee cords solve tht problem. But litter bugs won't use it. I have picked up garbage right next to an empty can.
Harry K

Maybe the garbage was trying to escape.
On Fri, 07 Sep 2012 06:27:28 -0700, Harry K wrote:

That would work - but with the 'vagrants' who stop at that corner, I wouldn't put it past them to steal the bungee cords.
Not that bungee cords are expensive ... but bolts are cheaper.

30-06, 308, or similar rifle round will make a nice clean hole.

I've recently been told that I am unsafe and an idiot, for joking about using a .22 gage rifle, to shoot holes in the guard rail. I'm thinking someone will need to comment on using a 308 gage shotgun, to make holes. Are those bigger than a .22 gage rifle?
"All I need to know about guns, I learned from Adam-12."
30-06, 308, or similar rifle round will make a nice clean hole.

Stormin Mormon wrote the following on 9/3/2012 8:30 AM (ET):

I learned how to shoot by watching TV's "The A Team".

--
Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

But they never shoot anyone, at least not with guns.
I don't think the other sides shoot either.
Oh, man! You my hero!
Stormin Mormon wrote the following on 9/3/2012 8:30 AM (ET):

I learned how to shoot by watching TV's "The A Team".
On Sun, 02 Sep 2012 01:41:43 +0000, James Gagney wrote:

Woo hoo! The TITANIUM coated drill bit was the trick!
It drilled through the guard rail in a matter of 30 seconds!
Here's a shot of the now-attached garbage can.

Here's a closeup picture:

And, here's the inside of the garbage can (without plastic bag):

Thanks everyone for all the advice! - I used your idea of using the U bolt to make it not dangerous to vehicles or people - I used your idea of using a titanium coated drill bit - I used your advice of drilling a smaller hole first - I used your advice of making it not dangerous to vehicles etc.
I love you guys!
On Sat, 01 Sep 2012 19:55:07 -0700, Steve B wrote:

That's exactly what I did!

On 9/1/2012 8:41 PM, James Gagney wrote:

cutting torch
--
Steve Barker
On Fri, 07 Sep 2012 01:10:39 -0500, Steve Barker wrote:

Well, I guess if it were a steel garbage can, I could have welded it to the guardrail. That would be interesting. Or I could have chained it.
If I want to put a top on it, I can chain the top handle to the U-bolt to keep it from being flung over the cliff by the bad-ass litterers.