How does one drill a hole in a guardrail anyway?

Oh. Yes. I read EVERY post also ... but I don't REMEMBER them all! :)

As you inferred, they do leave 'that' kind of trash, e.g., the undies, one shoe (never two), condoms, and assorted beverage containers and fast- food bags amongst the various and sundry items littered about.

They also beat a series of trails that goes into the brush parallel to the cliff but that only go about ten or fifteen feet and then the trail just stops, as if they turned around and gave up or something, yet with crumpled toilet paper at various spots to the side of the trail.

I guess this is typical?

Reply to
James Gagney

Okay. :-) I'm easy to fool.

Oops: Minus. I just meant. If he's going 30 by the time I catch up with him, I stay back the rrecommended distance when following someone going 30. . Although usually he did't leave the accident very fast, and neither does the guy behind me.

I also try to go through left-turn arrows quickly too, and to be close on the tail of a guy turning left at an arrow, so that I don't hold back people behind me and they have time to turn on that arrow. This only matters where there is a lot of traffic.

I agree, but only about 2 seconds, and I meant that literally -- 2 seconds. . By taking my 2 seconds, i'm not mad at the people ahead of me who took a lot more. It's good for my blood pressure.

It's not stop and go when we're leaving the peeking zone. In fact there's less traffic than normal because the cars are piled up behind us. If it's stop and go in front of us too, I take a longer look, because being held up by my looking is no worse for others than being held up by stop-and-go traffic.

Reply to
micky

LOL... I dunno what planet you are from but on earth guard rails are placed in an attempt to keep the vehicles on the graded roadway corridor rather than freely plunging over some embankment or careening off into an area with lots of closely spaced older trees...

The guard rail itself is not designed to prevent injuries by collapsing but attempt to prevent serious injuries by redirecting vehicles to a safer area to crash... Crumple zones on cars do that work...

Crash tests are done crashing vehicles into solid objects (other cars and barricades) on the same level ground surface as the moving vehicle being tested, add falling any significant distance down an incline during a crash and impacting into immovable heavy objects and the weight of the vehicle, occupants and any cargo has more of an effect...

Reply to
Evan

Or, they have given good service, and need resharpening.

.

The gold colored bit drilled into the guardrail like it was soft steel.

Obviously my 'other' bits are junk!

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I had envisioned the muffler clamp the other way, with the bolts outside the guard rail. Use wing nuts, instead of wrench nuts. Cover the wing nuts with heavy grease, so they don't rust.

If the bag rips, put a second bag over the top of the trash can, and then invert the whole mess. Pull the trash can out of the new trash bag.

You did make a drain hole for when it rains, and the trash can fills with water?

.

Trust us, we got the message: Titanium rules.

Of course, twere it me, I'd have come up with a method that makes removing the can very simple.

The first time the bag rips and all of the used condoms, empty beer cans and DNA covered underwear ends up in the bottom of the can, you are going to wish that you could just dump it all out instead of having to climb inside and grab all that nasty stuff.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Good point. While the original Sheffield bits are about 30 years old, they didn't 'look' dull.

Of course, they didn't work - so it's 'something'.

I don't have a grinding wheel, so I'd have to get one before I could sharpen them (unless there is another way that doesn't use a grinder).

Reply to
James Gagney

Actually, that's a much better engineered solution: a) The smooth rounded end won't rip the plastic garbage bag b) The wingnuts would be easier to remove when needed c) The grease would forestall them rusting solid

The bad DOES rip at times ... and it gets full of water in the rainy season, so that's a good idea also!

It only rains in the winter out here, but funny you should mention that because, with the drill in hand, I decided to do just that. So, yes, now there are drain holes in the bottom of the trash can.

Thanks for the wonderful advice!

Reply to
James Gagney

I sharpen with a bench grinder, and the correct wrist twist. Some folks say "Drill Doctor" does a good job.

I wonder if it's worth having you ship me the bits, I'll give em a going over, and ship em back?

.

Good point. While the original Sheffield bits are about 30 years old, they didn't 'look' dull.

Of course, they didn't work - so it's 'something'.

I don't have a grinding wheel, so I'd have to get one before I could sharpen them (unless there is another way that doesn't use a grinder).

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Y'welcome. Glad we can be friends, even though we have never met.

.

Actually, that's a much better engineered solution: a) The smooth rounded end won't rip the plastic garbage bag b) The wingnuts would be easier to remove when needed c) The grease would forestall them rusting solid

The bad DOES rip at times ... and it gets full of water in the rainy season, so that's a good idea also!

It only rains in the winter out here, but funny you should mention that because, with the drill in hand, I decided to do just that. So, yes, now there are drain holes in the bottom of the trash can.

Thanks for the wonderful advice!

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I can't imagine any sharpening service being a good value (compared to the inexpensive price of the titanium bits I bought for $10 for a set of about 50 bits).

However, believe it or not, I 'do' know how to sharpen drill bits as I worked in a machine shop during my college years summers (decades ago).

So, for the $100 that a bench grinder costs, I 'should' just buy it (but funds are low at the moment).

Anyway, I'll be fine (as I have 50 brand new bits!) ... but thanks for the kind offer to help.

Reply to
James Gagney

You're right about value. Sadly, so. Have you looked at Harbor Freight, for a grinder? Might be worth it.

five dollars.

.

I can't imagine any sharpening service being a good value (compared to the inexpensive price of the titanium bits I bought for $10 for a set of about 50 bits).

However, believe it or not, I 'do' know how to sharpen drill bits as I worked in a machine shop during my college years summers (decades ago).

So, for the $100 that a bench grinder costs, I 'should' just buy it (but funds are low at the moment).

Anyway, I'll be fine (as I have 50 brand new bits!) ... but thanks for the kind offer to help.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

The trails are made by that kid who signs every attendance sheet ever handed out by a substitute teacher:

I. P. Daily

Reply to
DerbyDad03