How does one drill a hole in a guardrail anyway?

I think they were joking ... :)

Reply to
James Gagney

Use a chain.

Reply to
HeyBub

I had a bucket disappear to the trashers, one time. Real shame, it was not quiet five gallon bucket, and fit nicely in the space between the table and the wall.

.

In all my years of putting garbage out at the curb, in multiple houses in multiple cities, I've never had a garbage man take a garbage can unless it was clearly marked as trash, regardless of the condition. I grew up in NYC where they used to beat the metal cans on the back of truck so I know what a crappy garbage can looks like.

One time I put an indoor garbage can, filled with garbage, inside the main garbage can. When I got home, the indoor can was still inside the main one, but both were empty. The next week I marked it as trash and it was taken.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

As to trash can on wood post, use a pilot hole, and then screw eyes. Bungee cords.

But, the titanium bits should go through the metal guard rail.

.

Yes. The wooden post, which has holes drilled in the bottom (presumably) to weaken it even further, is NOT on a highway. It's just a scenic road. A one-lane road which has a turnout where lovers congregate at night.

I 'could' mount the trash can to the wooden post - but that entails half a foot of drilling, versus the thin guard rail. So my first approach will be to see if the newly bought titanium (I think) gold-colored HSS Kawasaki bits will do the trick.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

HD has self drilling hex head screws, in the screws and bolts aisle. That, and some fender washers. Socket tip for your cordless drill (set to low speed, high torque setting).

.

That's a GREAT idea!

I didn't think of anything except a bolt ... but a lag screw should work just fine!

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Pull the trash bag out, and put another bag in?

How will Mr. Gagney keep the lid on, since it's a windy place? Bungee cords?

.

How do you plan to empty this can, once it's bolted down?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

True on both counts. Sigh. Well, it was a thought. Please forget I even suggested it.

.

What?

You don't own a gun, and are advocating unsafe use of one.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I've seen bullet holes in street signs, and years ago, a bullet hole in an ice box for bagged ice. That's where I got the idea. And, you're right, very few Mormons own a gun. I sure don't. they could go off at any time!

.

The Mormon does not own a firearm, and has no clue what he's talking about. Any idiot that suggests using a firearm to start a pilot hole has obviously no clue about gun safety.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I think they have seen street signs with holes in them. That's what they were thinking, but mostly joking. They would like to hear how it works, if you try it.

Christopher They Young Learn more about Jesus

.

I think they were joking ... :)

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Sounds like you're being a responsible citizen. And making it easier for responsible adults to "put litter in its place". This is the kind of thing that members of my family would do. Good on you!

I'll read a couple more posts, and see if you've made holes. Guess not. When you get your holes, please consider using some perforated strap, to go around the trash can. Make a big loop, so the trash can will nestle in. That way you can lift the trash can out, not have the trashcan permanantly bolted on.

Or, use carriage head bolts, and wingnuts. Carriage heads on the inside, so they don't rip the trash bag. Bolts and wing nuts on the outside of the rail. Bit of grease to keep the bolts from rusting. You may end up replacing the trash can as it weather cracks from UV rays.

.

It's in a spot where people park and leave stuff on the ground. We call it lovers leap. There's a cliff on the other side, hence the guardrail.

Even with the trash can, some people STILL litter the scenic area. Sigh.

But the trash can is blowing down in the wind, creating FURTHER litter from the people who DID put trash in it ... so I want to be responsible and bolt it down.

I guess a person 'could' drive a car into it ... but ... really ... do you think a plastic trash can on the end of a guard rail is really going to do that much damage to an incoming vehicle?

Note: The only way a vehicle can hit it, logically, is perpendicular to it as there's no road on the bent end where the trash can is (and the guard rail would be pointing toward were it an arrow).

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

30-06, 308, or similar rifle round will make a nice clean hole.
Reply to
Larry W

From 50 feet a .22 will not even reliably go through an aluminum road sign, let alone a steel guardrail.

Reply to
Larry W

I've recently been told that I am unsafe and an idiot, for joking about using a .22 gage rifle, to shoot holes in the guard rail. I'm thinking someone will need to comment on using a 308 gage shotgun, to make holes. Are those bigger than a .22 gage rifle?

"All I need to know about guns, I learned from Adam-12."

.

30-06, 308, or similar rifle round will make a nice clean hole.
Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Well, in that case, nevermind. Better to stick to titanium drill bits.

.

From 50 feet a .22 will not even reliably go through an aluminum road sign, let alone a steel guardrail.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

No lid needed.

Reply to
James Gagney

You could try putting up a sign stating that all activities in the area are recorded by surveillance cameras. You wouldn't even need any actual cameras, just the suggestion that people are being recorded is enough to keep honest people from misbehaving.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Danniken

Stormin Mormon wrote the following on 9/3/2012 8:30 AM (ET):

I learned how to shoot by watching TV's "The A Team".

Reply to
willshak

I wouldn't be shooting *at* it, either.

Reply to
krw

Not a lot of work. Bigots deserve at least a 21 word rebuke.

No, no hate at all. Keep telling yourself that.

You just make sure that everyone conforms to your wishes.

Have you been diagnosed schizophrenic?

Nonsense.

Reply to
krw