How does one drill a hole in a guardrail anyway?

Page 4 of 7

Car A is travelling at 30 MPH in reverse gear. Car B is following Car A at 40 MPH in forward gear.
If Car A doesn't speed up or if Car B doesn't slow down, Car B will hit Car A "head on" even though they are travelling in the same direction.
From our friends at Wikipedia
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Head-on_collision
A head-on collision is one where the front ends of two ships, trains, planes or vehicles hit each other, as opposed to a side collision or rear-end collision.

Yes, I did mean median. I did use a poor choice of words. Maybe it would have been clear if I had said it was to prevent a car that is heading east and crosses the median from hitting the cars that are in the west bound lane.

So the cables are not there to prevent 2 cars from opposite sides of the highway from hitting each other if they are both *in* the median? ;-)
BTW...slightly related to highway guardrails...
I was traveling in the left lane of I-90 this weekend when something caught my eye in my side view mirror. I looked over and saw the car behind me only inches from the left guardrail, kicking up dirt and debris. He was so close behind me that at first I thought he was trying to pass me on the left shoulder when he suddenly swerved right to get back onto the highway.
My eyes went from the sideview mirror to the rearview mirror where I saw him overshoot the left lane, continue into the right lane, causing another vehicle to swerve onto the right shoulder, kicking up dirt and debris, and come within inches of that guardrail.
The wayward vehicle stayed in the right lane and the car behind him slowed down enough to let the innocent driver that was now driving on the shoulder back in.
I'm glad it all happened behind me and I only had to watch, not be involved. I'm also glad that there was no real accident, but I think the driver that got pushed out of his lane was pretty shook up. He slowed way down real fast and was soon out sight.
In article

If they're both in the median, then no problem. They aren't blocking the roadway, so to hell with them.

Ever heard of the term "rubber necking delays"?
On Tue, 4 Sep 2012 12:02:35 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03

Right. In the median they are free to hit each other. That's pretty much what "median" means. Medium, neutral, like a free-fire zone.
Since the cars are on equal footing (another meaning of "median") in the median, hitting is okay, but it's not when one car is in its own lane and another car isnt.

Not surprised. I don't remember any high speed problems but iirc a guy behind me was swerving on a wide city street, and I pulled over so he'd go past, and at the next red light, he hit the stopped car in front of him. Not much damage and probably no injury. He was probably drunk.

Except for the rubbernecking delay that will be caused by the accident.
Granted, there might still be a slight rubbernecking delay if drivers saw 2 vehicles in the median, one up against one side of the guardrail and the other up against the other...
"Would you look at that, Martha! Now what in blazes are those 2 fools up to?"
...but there would be less rubbernecking than in the case of the carnage resulting from a head on collision in the median.
You know, there is a theoretical fix for a rubbernecking delay, but it takes the cooperation of multiple drivers - one in each lane of the road being travelled. It won't help the drivers that break up the jam, but it'll help out everyone behind them.
Here's the idea...
A lot of people think that a rubbernecking delay is caused by drivers who slow down to look at an incident that is not physically blocking any lane.
While that may be the initial cause, more specifically what happens in a rubbernecking delay is that just about every driver, even the ones who have been stuck in traffic for a long time, don't accelerate even when they reach the front of the jam. That's because they are now even with the incident and want to have a peek. It's only after they have had their look at 5 MPH that they hit the gas, leaving the jam behind them. Had they been travelling at highway speed and saw cars on the side of the road, they may have slowed down a little, but not nearly as slow as the speeds (and stops) encountered while in the jam. Since just about every driver takes their 5 MPH peek as they reach the front of the jam, the jam can last until the incident is cleared.
OK, so here's the theoretical fix:
A driver in each lane stops when they are, let's say 10-15 car lengths from the incident and lets all the cars in front of them have their peek and then leave. This basically moves the front of the jam back 10-15 car lengths from the incident.
Now, once the other cars are all past the incident, the stopped drivers accelerate as rapidly as possible and *do not* slow down when they reach the incident. No peeking, eyes straight ahead!
If all goes as planned, the drivers behind them will see them clear out and accelerate also, happy to have a clear road in front of them. Hopefully, this trend continues backwards through the jam so that all drivers are travelling at a decent rate of speed when they reach the incident instead of the 5 MPH that allows them to dawdle and take a peek.
So the next time you are stuck in a rubbernecking delay, think of all the poor souls behind you, and coordinate the fix described above with the drivers on either side of you. We'd all appreciate it. Thanks.
On Thu, 06 Sep 2012 13:04:14 -0700, DerbyDad03 wrote:

Interesting theory!
BTW, I drilled the holes. The trick was the titanium.
I didn't get a chance to try the pistols & shotguns suggested! :)
For the record, here's a shot of the now-attached garbage can.

Here's a closeup picture:

And, here's the inside of the garbage can (without plastic bag):

Just an FYI...
Most people following threads in usenet read all of the posts. You've posted basically the same response and links in at least a half dozen posts. Trust us, we got the message: Titanium rules.
Of course, twere it me, I'd have come up with a method that makes removing the can very simple.
The first time the bag rips and all of the used condoms, empty beer cans and DNA covered underwear ends up in the bottom of the can, you are going to wish that you could just dump it all out instead of having to climb inside and grab all that nasty stuff.
On Thu, 06 Sep 2012 22:29:39 +0000, DerbyDad03 wrote:

That's amazing. How did you know the bag is filled with 'that stuff' (especially the used rubbers)?
It is, by the way. And it's disgusting! But I wonder how you knew that.

I know that because, as I said when I mentioned that you don't to repeat your responses a half dozen times, most people following a thread on usenet read every post, not just the direct responses to their own posts.
Earlier on you said:
"On the other side of the guard rail is a cliff ... hence the lovers lookout name of that part of the road. They leave trash (yes, even 'that' kind of trash) all the time."
Lovers and 'that' kind of trash usually means used rubbers, booze and DNA stained underwear.
On Sat, 08 Sep 2012 02:56:43 +0000, DerbyDad03 wrote:

Oh. Yes. I read EVERY post also ... but I don't REMEMBER them all! :)
As you inferred, they do leave 'that' kind of trash, e.g., the undies, one shoe (never two), condoms, and assorted beverage containers and fast- food bags amongst the various and sundry items littered about.
They also beat a series of trails that goes into the brush parallel to the cliff but that only go about ten or fifteen feet and then the trail just stops, as if they turned around and gave up or something, yet with crumpled toilet paper at various spots to the side of the trail.
I guess this is typical?

The trails are made by that kid who signs every attendance sheet ever handed out by a substitute teacher:
I. P. Daily
On Fri, 7 Sep 2012 22:17:41 +0000 (UTC), James Gagney

Every town or region as a place that the teenagers park. They all contains that stuff for the past 50 or so years since I started to drive.
I had envisioned the muffler clamp the other way, with the bolts outside the guard rail. Use wing nuts, instead of wrench nuts. Cover the wing nuts with heavy grease, so they don't rust.
If the bag rips, put a second bag over the top of the trash can, and then invert the whole mess. Pull the trash can out of the new trash bag.
You did make a drain hole for when it rains, and the trash can fills with water?
Trust us, we got the message: Titanium rules.
Of course, twere it me, I'd have come up with a method that makes removing the can very simple.
The first time the bag rips and all of the used condoms, empty beer cans and DNA covered underwear ends up in the bottom of the can, you are going to wish that you could just dump it all out instead of having to climb inside and grab all that nasty stuff.
On Mon, 10 Sep 2012 08:19:20 -0400, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Actually, that's a much better engineered solution: a) The smooth rounded end won't rip the plastic garbage bag b) The wingnuts would be easier to remove when needed c) The grease would forestall them rusting solid

The bad DOES rip at times ... and it gets full of water in the rainy season, so that's a good idea also!

It only rains in the winter out here, but funny you should mention that because, with the drill in hand, I decided to do just that. So, yes, now there are drain holes in the bottom of the trash can.
Thanks for the wonderful advice!
Y'welcome. Glad we can be friends, even though we have never met.
On Mon, 10 Sep 2012 08:19:20 -0400, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Actually, that's a much better engineered solution: a) The smooth rounded end won't rip the plastic garbage bag b) The wingnuts would be easier to remove when needed c) The grease would forestall them rusting solid

The bad DOES rip at times ... and it gets full of water in the rainy season, so that's a good idea also!

It only rains in the winter out here, but funny you should mention that because, with the drill in hand, I decided to do just that. So, yes, now there are drain holes in the bottom of the trash can.
Thanks for the wonderful advice!
On Thu, 6 Sep 2012 20:34:55 +0000 (UTC), James Gagney

Thanks for getting back to us. I'm sending these pictures to the Weasel Cnty, Montana, prosecutors office. Don't say you weren't warned.
On Thu, 6 Sep 2012 13:04:14 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03

I think you're taking this too seriously. Clue: I don't really consider the median a free-fire zone.

I take my peek but then I accelerate a lot tand catch up with the guy in front of me, minuse the apprropriate non-tailgating amount.
It's a compromise. I've earned my peek, and I only take about 2 seconds. I'm always way ahead of the guy behind me.

Clue: I didn't think you did. I'm just chatting.

Minuse? Can't figure out what you meant there.
Besides, the fact that you peek before you accelerate simply means that you are part of the rubbernecking delay problem. You are holding back everyone behind you.

How can you be way ahead of the guy behind you in stop and go traffic?