How does one drill a hole in a guardrail anyway?

I got one of those too $170 saw for $10 Even funnier, there was a embossed picture next to the chain guard on how the chain links should look if properly installed.

Reply to
Atila Iskander

LOL.....LOL some more.

Reply to
micky

How do we know it is in a place cars will hit it? Could just be a barrier along a walkway in a park. Do you think he'd be mounting a trash can along an I-95 exit ramp?

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

James Gagney wrote the following on 9/1/2012 9:41 PM (ET):

No one has asked yet, so I will. Why a garbage can attached to a guardrail?

Reply to
willshak

A .22 would not even dent that material. I doubt any pistol would hurt it unless you have a "cop killer" bullet. Maybe a .308? If you have an AP round it would be a clean hole.

Reply to
gfretwell

There may be some practical problems with that. I'll have to check

But one thing I've seen in several states is a white cross where each person died. I'm not a Christian and I dislike enormously attempts to insert religion into the government anywhere, including Christian or other sectarian invocations at football games. This is the one and only place where I woudn't object -- if private parties do it and not the Highway Department or Police -- because it is simple, easy, and clear, and they can be placed just where each person died, or just off the road where the car came to rest.

It marks the part of the road that has been proven to be dangerous. So sometimes I see tham at a curve at the end of a long straight run.

I've even seen the top dipped in red paint. I guess that is the same plain white, since surely no one is marking mere injuries. Unless there was a death and injuries in the same accident.

If I die in a traffic accident, I'm sure one of my friends will come and remove any cross put up where I die.

Reply to
notforme

I think I could make a .45 caliber hole in that with a pistol.

Jim [if I had a pistol, that is]

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

And, in area with no electric. Something fishy, here.

.

No one has asked yet, so I will. Why a garbage can attached to a guardrail?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I'm awaiting the test results.

.

A .22 would not even dent that material. I doubt any pistol would hurt it unless you have a "cop killer" bullet. Maybe a .308? If you have an AP round it would be a clean hole.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I think the OP could wait for deer season. Put up a dummy buck and see what happens. Would an 8 pointer be over doing it?

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

Dummy buck practicing hard cover? I think that's ammusing.

Concealment is essential. Cover is better. Tracers work both ways.

5 second fuses last 3 seconds. Battle radios aren't loud enough, and their range is about half mile short of reaching the fire base.

.

I think the OP could wait for deer season. Put up a dummy buck and see what happens. Would an 8 pointer be over doing it?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Yeah, the original pic shows the cordless drill sitting on the guardrail mounting post. Using the drill for a scale reference, I'd make the post a 4 x 4. Seems a little light for a highway guardrail.

Reply to
Smitty Two

I suppose you mean FMJ (JHP is "jacketed, too";-).

In any case, be careful how you ask a question:

It would probably make a mess of the reverse side, too.

Reply to
krw

I .357Mag, or better, would probably do a number on it.

Reply to
krw

Bungee cord.

Reply to
krw

It must be horrible to have to go through life, going OUT OF YOUR WAY, to hate so much. Amazing, really.

Reply to
krw

Nothing fishy. I figure he lives on a road with a ditch and a guardrail to keep cars from going in tthe ditch. a guardrail right next to the driveable shoulder. And he has to take the garbage to the foot of the long driveway to have it picked up, and the wind, maybe wind from passing semis, blows the can over and/or into the ditch if it's not secured in some way.

Although it's not his property , unless a hole is going to get a lot bigger becasue the tin layer has been breeched, I don't have a probem with him drilling one hole. OTOH, he could use two 1-inch C-clamps to hold each end of a bungee cord and hold a garbage can of any shape and size in place. I myself would put them on the bottom of the rail so they ddid't look bad from the road, although I'm sure the view from the road is not perfection anyhow. .

Reply to
micky

I didn't even see that post before. Isn't that the OP's? Don't they make guardrail posts out of metal I-beam. I think the rivets just join the curled end to the straight piece, all of which is floating. but attached where we can't see.

Reply to
micky

Not usually. I-beam posts would tend to impale cars. Most of the one's I see are maybe 6x6s with about a 4" hole drilled in them so they shear if hit. The idea is to slow the vehicle down, not stop it (and its occupants) dead.

Reply to
krw

I-70 in Missouri has a couple cables mounted on steel posts in the median. I think they're about waist high. I don't remember how they're tensioned. They run most of the length of I-70.

Reply to
Dean Hoffman