How does a wet cloth really help (scientifically) to survive an airplane crash?

Yes they do. You can carry on as much water as you want, as long as you either buy it or fill the bottle at a drinking fountain after the TSA checkpoint. You could also carry 3.4 oz through TSA, which is pretty close to the stated 4 ounces. It's also not unusual for there to be a a bottle or two of airline water somewhere around you, many airlines hand them out during the flight.

Not that any of that matter much in the grand scheme of things.

Reply to
trader_4

The guilty until proven innocent came from peers [because they know thst most accidents are caused by pilot error of some form] and by the plane's owners, not by NTSB, who actually did find the pinhole leak in the carburator. [substantiating your claim that the NTSB always conducts a thorough fair investigation]

Another anecdote: Ms and I watched a helicopter crash about two blocks from our building. Although there was a highly pedestrian populated area around the crash site, no one on the ground was killed due to some heroic flight maneuvres from the pilot who was killed in the crash. I got to talk with the NTSB investigator about a year later after he had filed his report and reached all conclusions and found out that his long time friend crashed due to fuel exhaustion - he purposely ran the helicopter lean in order to keep it light for the maneuvers. but severely misjudged. and acted to his own detrimant to save lives on the ground. And, died. The investigator was quite pale as he went into details, since this was a long time friend. Thus, here we have potential bias NOT from any financial pressures, but rather from personal loyalty pressures, which he did not succumb to. Again supporting your statement that the NTSB conducts thorough, unbiased crash reports.

Reply to
RobertMacy

Your attention please. The plane is on fire. The flight attendants will be passing out half-bottles of water to each of our passengers. Please soak your shirt in the water and breath through that. To learn if this is for hydrochloric acid or cynanide only, please consult our webpage, www dot flagrantairlines dot com slash airplane fires slash gases. If there are not enough half-bottles, you may use your urine, but please do not get any on the seat.

Reply to
micky

I stand corrected by 2 posters re: water bottle post TSA checkpoint. Mea Culpa.

HB

Reply to
Higgs Boson

Maybe we're seeing different crashes. In all the cases I can recall, there really hasn't been any jump to conclusion by the media, those directly involved, etc to focus the blame one way or the other. After a plane crashes, I've never seen the aircraft owner start blaming the pilots. Not sure how that would help them either, as usually it's a commercial flight, and the aircraft owners hired the pilots and they are only going to make their own case worse. Can you give an example of where in a recent crash the airline blamed the pilots? Nor have I seen other pilots blaming them. The media reports the facts and they may have some discussions from "experts" about what something might mean, like say the tail being found

1/2 mile away from the other wreckage, but even then, from what I've seen, they are careful not to point the finger, to try to keep it as factual as possible. In the case of MH370 for example, CNN was all over the map 24/7, covering every possible aspect of it. And as facts emerged that pointed to it being deliberate, they did start discussing the clear possibility that it was a pilot that caused it, they also had Les Abend on there much of the time. He's a 777 pilot and editor of Flying Magazine. And all along, he insisted that he thought it unlikely that a suicide pilot was the cause, saying he thought it was likely mechanical, although towards the end, I think he started to allow thepossibility that it might be deliberate. Even in the case of MH370 as far as blaming the pilots, the closest anyone has come to that is the Malaysian investigators who said they believe that based on the known data, it was likely the result of deliberate human action. That still leaves the possibility of a hijacker, together with other even less likely scenarios, that don't involve the pilots.

I'm glad we agree on that.

Reply to
trader_4

Very sad that all those families do not have closure.

A sign of the 'end of times'?

Reply to
RobertMacy

What are we doing here? Making a baby or a cup of ramen noodles?

Reply to
Robert Green