how do you weatherstrip a warped door?

I bought some weatherstripping to try to insulate around the edges of my back door to keep the cold air from coming through the seal and noticed that the top of my door warps out so the thin weatherstripping won't seal. If I build up the weatherstripping to meet it then it bows out the bottom. Is there any other way to achieve a tight seal on a warped door??

Reply to
Joe

One thing you could do would be to pull off the stops and reattach parallel to the warped edge of the door.

Another thing you could do would be to get the kind of weatherstripping that doesn't go between the door and the stop, but the kind that has a wood strip with some foam attached to it. You place this on the side of the stop, press up to the closed door, and then nail in place. Automatically compensates for any misalignmnet between the door and the stops.

Finally, another thing (that I wouldn't recommend) would be to add shorter strips of weatherstripping to build up thickness only in the areas where the door is bowed away from the stops.

Ken

Reply to
Ken

Whatever you do, please don't consider replacing the door.

Reply to
salty

If your car gets a oil leak do you replace the engine?

Reply to
Ron

I have a door with the same problem and I used the self adhesive foam WS from Home Depot. I stuck it to the door itself and it works great.

Reply to
Ron

Stormin Mormon

Reply to
Roemax

i used a roll of stick on stuff from home depot . it is called epdm rubber weatherseal..peel off and stick it on the doorr frame where the door meets it.clean frame with some thinner first.you might should get 2 rolls of different thickness to see whitch one fits best. in one area on the corner i put it double thick so the door would seal against it.works good.... i was useing a metal strip with rubber seal that nailed on the inside of the door frame and just couldnt get it right. lucas

ds549

Sure does!

Just because you're a hack and can't make something look good don't project your weaknesses on others.....top posting moron.

Reply to
Ron

If my car is so twisted that one tire won't reach the pavement, I replace the car.

Reply to
salty

That wasn't the question.

Reply to
Ron

First, you would have to be able to formulate a reasonably intelligent question. I don't foresee that happening anytime soon. The OP's door didn't have an oil leak. It's badly twisted.

Reply to
salty

Apparentally it's too intelligent for you since you can't answer it.

Nobody said it had an oil leak, but it does have a air leak.

And how do you know it's "badly twisted"? He said it was warped.

Reply to
Ron

Hoo-boy!

Reply to