How do you turn OFF the lights on a kid's sneaker?

Page 3 of 3
How about an ice pick through the light?
Or a piece of tape over it?
On Sun, 02 Sep 2012 01:45:53 +0000, James Gagney wrote:

Woo hoo!.
At first, we had a crisis this morning because we got the oversized laced sneakers all full of mud on the weekend looking for cave-man rocks to make cave-man tools for history class ... so my kid was forced to wear the blinking sneakers.
So I grabbed them, drilled a small (1/32) hole in the first of four lights, and bingo! It went out, like, well, like a light!
Unfortunately, the second one took quite a few more attempts, so I drilled the sole horizontally quite a few times, like a woodpecker looking for bugs in a log; but I finally got it.
I used a larger bit (1/8) on the third and fourth, but now, all four lights are out. No outrushing air occurred. And, the sneakers seem not too much worse for the wear.
My kid gladly accepted them, even before I could clean out the shavings from the numerous poking them out attempts ... and I will snap a photo for you guys when he gets home from school.
Thanks for your advice; again it worked like a charm.
PS: My old non-titanium drill bits worked just fine! :)
On Mon, 10 Sep 2012 14:39:38 +0000 (UTC), James Gagney

I thought HSS was the proper material for drilling sneakers. Did you use WD-40 as a cutting lubricant?
On Mon, 10 Sep 2012 23:06:45 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Well, the good news is that HSS worked fine! :)
Here is a picture of an HSS drilled out sneaker!

On Sun, 02 Sep 2012 01:45:53 +0000, James Gagney wrote:

UPDATE:
Success! Thanks for all your advice!
Taking time to aim with the first sneaker, I surgically poked out the LEDs, one by one with a tiny HSS drill bit:

With the mom yelling that I had to rush the kid to school, for the second sneaker I opted for a larger drill bit and used the Russian approach:

Thanks for all your advice!
Thank you so much for this! The funny thing is I googled a solution on how to get rid of the blinking lights for my son's shoes (dress code prohibits it) and when I clicked on your picture, he has the exact shoes as the OP's pictures!
I ended up using the microwave for 5 seconds, worked like a charm. There was a little bit of smoking and rubber smell, but it's gone now. Shoes are good to go. :)

Stick it in the microwave.
Greg
My kids' school now prohibits light up shoes (and characters, etc.). I put he. In the old microwave set to 5 sec. After 2 sec each spaked. No more lig hts. Microwave still works fine. Perhaps for e same reason hotockets have f oil liners yet don't fry the microwave, the circuit in the shoes doesn't fr y it either.
On Thu, 6 Aug 2015 13:57:14 -0700 (PDT), snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

My cousin invented the lights in shoes. I'm going to have to turn you in!
I removed the insert of the shoe...then pulled up the 2nd insert that was glued down....there were wires showing so I clipped them all with scissors then put the two insoles back in. :-) Super easy!!
On Thu, 24 Dec 2015 06:02:48 -0800 (PST), snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Why do they put lights in sneakers? I never saw the sense to them!
But there is always a dummy waiting to blow money on something stupid like that, so I suppose thats the reason they make them...
Since you opened them, did you notice what kind of battery is in there? I'm thinking it would be a coin cell. Just curious....

Thanks for answering the question from 2011, and with no quoted text. Quite a trick.
--
.
Christopher A. Young