How do you turn OFF the lights on a kid's sneaker?

Page 2 of 3

Sometimes people don't want solutions at all, but they just post to see how far a topic will go. I haven't even looked at this topic until now because I figured the original poster didn't want to simply return the shoes.
On Wed, 5 Sep 2012 01:09:18 -0700, "David Kaye"

The benevolent side of my brain is thinking dad is trying to keep peace in the family. Mom meant well, so let's just fix the problem [the lights] without hurting any feelings.
The other side of my brain is saying dad is a cheap lazy bastard who doesn't want to spend the time and big bucks it would take to replace the sneakers.
Jim

If the title of the post told the whole story, we wouldn't need this stuff. There is a fairly legitimate reason why the father didn't simply return the shoes, and he said so in the first post.

use small drill bit and drill (and damage) out the led?
Nothing like felony shoes with a blinking beacon.
Never fear, the battery will wear out about the time the shoes lose thier bounce.
My middle-school kid is embarrassed by the lights on the sneakers him mom bought him for the start of school.
See picture here:

I told my boy that I'd 'fix' it.
Now I need YOUR help!
How do you turn OFF the lights to a kid's pair of sneakers?
James Gagney wrote:

I assume that they are battery operated/powered.
If so, maybe try placing the sneakers in a bucket of clean water with a weight on top to keep them submerged. My guess is that the water will find its way into the battery area and short out the battery in each sneaker.
Or, if you can figure out what type of pressure (how much, where, etc) will cause the sneakers to light up, maybe you can place weights or a chair leg (with weights on the chair) in a position to keep the lights on 24/7 and wait for the batteries to die out.
I don't know if either idea will work, but those are things that I would try before trying to take apart the sneakers etc.

I, too, was in the piezo generator vs battery camp... but it appear that the lighted shoe tech depends on battery, LED and either pressure or inertial switch.
So it appears that one needs to: 1) disable the swtich 2) use up the battery (figure out how to repeated fire the LEDs or keep them on) 3) scramble the controller.
FYA http://www.cringely.com/tag/childrens-shoes /
I also found a link (lost it) that says 5 seconds in the microwave will kill them.
cheers Bob

Yes, there is a battery in each shoe, I pried apart a pair my granddaughter had outgrown to see what there was, just a battery and some click switches and the LEDs.
On Sun, 02 Sep 2012 10:46:53 -0700, DD_BobK wrote:

Oooooh. That's a great one. The microwave is on the fritz ... but I might borrow one at work.
replying to DD_BobK , M- in Europe wrote:

The 5 sec in the microwave works!
I had promised my wife I woukd disable the lights of a pair of cute sneakers my 7 year daughter wanted.
The sneakers arrived from Amazon and I couldn't figure out hiw to disable the very annoying blinking LEDs.
Tried the microwave, and in 3 or 4 seconds, the LEDs were fried and there was no other visible damage :-)
On 9/19/2013 7:44 AM, M- in Europe wrote:

On 9/19/2013 10:29 AM, Paul Drahn wrote:

It was also a clever solution when Bob F suggested it in the original thread over a year ago.
Another idiot post (M- in Europe) from homemoanershub
On 9/19/2013 9:44 AM, M- in Europe wrote:

Cool, you could do that with your kid's iPhone too. ^_^
TDD
Might cut down on distractions. More time for books and studies?
"Like, uh, well, you know, like, and he went... and then she went.... uh, like, rad, kewl, uh... and then she went..."

On Sun, 02 Sep 2012 12:29:23 -0400, TomR wrote:

Now that's an interesting idea!

That's ANOTHER interesting idea!

I can tell you what does NOT work!
I tried slamming one sneaker against a concrete wall. Many times. The lights still light - but now something rattles inside the sole.
So, that did NOT work.
On Sun, 02 Sep 2012 17:16:34 +0000, Red Green wrote:

:)

When my kids were in elementary school 20 years ago I used to use shoes like that to threaten them when they were misbehaving. I would threaten to buy a pair and wear them to school when I went to pick them up. They knew I would do it; although I don't think I could have found a pair that fit. But they didn't know that.
That got their attention.
1/16" drill ,also works on 'check engine' lights when selling cars & trucks.
Jerry
http://community.webtv.net/awoodbutcher/WOODPROJECTS
On Sun, 02 Sep 2012 18:21:58 -0400, Jerry OHIO wrote:

I'm going to try this since it seems to have the most promise of not ruining anything else!
On Mon, 03 Sep 2012 14:33:36 -0700, Bob F wrote:

Oh. oh. Good point.