How do you turn OFF the lights on a kid's sneaker?

Page 1 of 3
My middle-school kid is embarrassed by the lights on the sneakers him mom bought him for the start of school.
See picture here:

I told my boy that I'd 'fix' it.
Now I need YOUR help!
How do you turn OFF the lights to a kid's pair of sneakers?

Never encountered this before, but I'm imagining that you would remove the sole-pad from the inside of the shoe, which ought to expose whatever battery-access hole is provided in the sole.
--
Tegger

I'm guessing it's all glued together. You may find some relief by covering the lenses with black permanant marker.
Never encountered this before, but I'm imagining that you would remove the sole-pad from the inside of the shoe, which ought to expose whatever battery-access hole is provided in the sole.
--
Tegger

With a lot of sneaker-type shoes, the insole is easily removable for the purpose of installing orthotics. Reach inside and tug at the instep (arch) area, and slip the insole out of the shoe. Removal of the insole should reveal any battery compartment in the sole itself.
--
Tegger

On Sun, 02 Sep 2012 18:41:13 +0000, Tegger wrote:

The sole seems to be in there solid.
James Gagney wrote:

A drill?

I was thinking a nail & a hammer or perhaps an ice pick.

A Smith & Wesson?

I was thinking Glock because they are sneakers--- but I understand the whole made in the USA think, so +1 on that.
Jim

*Some* are. The money still goes back to Austria.
-snip-

Colt, Smith, Wesson, Derringer -- all good Americans who made good sidearms. and you call yerself a TeXan.<g>

Even for free-- I think I'd hesitate to replace something that just tried to maim me with the same thing.
Jim
On 9/2/2012 6:10 PM, Jim Elbrecht wrote:

And another great story. You don't have to ship guns back to Glock using next day air. The much less expensive 2nd day standard works just fine.

BINGO!
Seems a lot of ppl swear by Glocks, while a whole lotta other ppl swear at 'em. One guy on youtube claims to be a very experienced combat veteran and handgun instructor and claims fewer glocks fail-to-fire than 1911s. Surprisingly, youtube is fulla glock fail-to-fire vids.
Personally, I think they suck. Don't like 'em and never have. Feel terrible in my hand and jes plain hate the trigger. Now I learn they explode in yer hand. Holy crap! ....you couldn't give me one.
nb
--
Definition of objectivism:
"Eff you! I got mine."

Agreed. My DIL has one. It feels like a toy gun and is about as smooth. I much preferred my Beretta when we were at the range (I think she did, too). I think she got the Glock because that's "what everyone has".

I don't like Barettas, either, but I'll take one over a Glock any day. At least Barettas have an lovely grip. Jes what you'd expect from an Italian. ;)
I chose my fave pistol by going to a gun shop and telling the clerk to "line 'em up". He put out 9 different 9mm pistols. The Browning Hi-Power felt the best in my hand, but that was a SA and I wanted a SA/DA. The next best was a Sig. I later went to an indoor range and shot the top 5 that I liked in the store. Oh ...I also shot a Glock 9mm, for the first and last time. The Sig 9mm won hands down.
Strangely enough, I ended up buying a Sig P220 in .45 and had it for years. Then tried a 1911. Turns out I actually shoot better with a 1911, which surprised the heck outta me. I have neither now, but WHEN (not if) I re-purchase, it will be a Sig in 9mm or a Ruger 1911. I'm still partial to Sigs, which rock! They do it all and feel good doing it.
nb
--
Definition of objectivism:
"Eff you! I got mine."

A Sig .45 is on my short list. Nothing else I've held feels as good in my hand as the 92FS, though.

The only reason I haven't bought a 1911 is that they're almost impossible to carry; worse than a 92FS (obviously).

...1911 is that they're almost impossible to carry;
.. Good point...

Side comment....
Never was a fan of Glocks being a fairly traditional engineer. Plastic gun? I don't think so. Browning knew what he was doing 100+ years ago.
cheers Bob
On Sat, 01 Sep 2012 21:42:43 -0500, HeyBub wrote:

I just bought titanium drill bits for another project ... so that is going to be my weapon of choice!
I'll let you know what happens.
James Gagney wrote:

I am not sure that a drill is a good idea. First, you would have to guess where to drill that will kill the lights and won't show damage to the sneakers. Plus, I wonder what happens if you drill into a lithium battery -- meaning, will that cause any kinds of battery chemicals to leak out etc? -- I don't know.
I would try the submerged in water trick first, then maybe the weight to keep the light on until the battery dies. At least with those two, you don't have to damage the sneakers.
Another thought that I had -- if it's not too late to do -- is to take the sneakers to the store where they were purchased, tell them they were a gift and you have no receipt, and see if you can exchange them for another style that your kid likes. Tell the gift giver (was it your mother?, I forget) that you needed to exchange them for size or better fit but they didn't have that model in the correct size.

Have you considered having a "Dad and Son" outing and exchanging the sneakers for a pair without lights?
Most stores these days will take back just about anything, including sneakers that have been worn.