How do you tell premix

Today, I had a gallon of gas that had been set aside. I had remembered that I had made up a gallon of JUST premix for the chainsaw.

I was wondering if I had straight gas or premix. I looked at the little oil bottles, and the oil in them was blue. I poured some of the gas from the can into a clear plastic bottle, and sure enough, it was blue. So, I was pretty confident that this was premix.

Other than labeling, and that can get screwed up, is there a way to tell if gas in a can is straight gas or premix? I have several brands of two stroke oil, and I'm not sure if it is all colored or not. Is it? Or is gas just clear, and premix has a color tinge to it one way or another?

Steve

Heart surgery pending? Read up and prepare. Learn how to care for a friend.

Steve B

On Wed, 13 Oct 2010 21:59:13 -0700, "Steve B" wrote Re How do you tell premix:

Not easily & reliably.

Reply to
Caesar Romano

almost all gas is clear these days. But i'll bet that's not 100%. AMOCO's midgrade USED to be blue and the premium was purple. the best way to tell is to dump it and remix and re-label.

Reply to
Steve Barker

I used to have two gas cans: one labeled BLOW and the other labeled MOW.

Now I just fill the blower with regular gas, top off the tank with a dollop of oil, and call it good.

Reply to
HeyBub

Consider the relative cost of a new implement against the cost of a a bottle of 2cycle oil of unknown fuel.

No contest. Dump the gallon into your mower or other low-tech engine and mix a new batch!

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

Works just as said. Even 1 to 50 ratio (2%) will show an oily residue. But lacking a decent test surface, using up the fuel in a standard machine and mixing fresh is less nerve wracking.

Joe

Reply to
Joe