How do you snake a kitchen sink & how to remove a corroded steel nipple when only 1/4" sticks out?

Page 3 of 3
On Tue, 02 Apr 2013 23:45:29 -0700 DD_BobK wrote:

I do a lot of amateur repairs but I only post when I'm clueless at the start of the job - so I apologize if what I post is all known to you already.
Since you're knowledgeable in this, may I ask YOU how you would have obtained the leverage to spin that corroded nipple off with just the tools I had at hand?

Don't need leverage......
btw, it;s not that oyu post stuff already known to me, it's that you post a lot of incorrect information as if it were correct. :(
On Wed, 03 Apr 2013 23:36:33 -0700, DD_BobK wrote:

RFC: New rules for a.h.r.
Please do not post to a.h.r unless you already know everything.

cr-
DD post a LOT of volume....quite a lot, he posts as "facts or answers" which are clearly wrong. He has a history of NOT taking advice from VERY experienced users of this group and dragging them out with a never ending flow of "wrongness" masquerading as fact.
You've probably missed most of the threads he's started....
They begin with questions but then evolve into "lectures of experimental results presented by the class dunce" Reminiscent "frogs with no legs cannot hear"
I would suggest this instead....
Please do not post to a.h.r "established facts" when they are really just what you believe to true based on a single event & no real experience.
Besides I have hard time letting go the fact the DDD "topped" a 50+ year old oak because it blocked his view. :( And that he is an ultimately slow learner who spends his time posting drivel rather than learning....
On Wed, 3 Apr 2013 05:09:42 +0000 (UTC), "Danny D."

That's good. It's just another joint to leak or fail. Removing the P-trap is child's play, and when you're there you can get a snake into the stub and waste line. Despite you sister's experience with eggshells in the trap, most stoppages I've seen are in that stub or below at a turn. See the sludge in there? Probably the most horizontal waste pipe in the house.

They call all fittings with plastic/nylon washers compression fittings now, because they call the connecting nut a compression nut and it compresses the washer to make a seal. So I don't think that term is reserved for tubing.

Strength mainly. If you could get under the cabinet floor to put some blocks there to brace the floor, you could use a jack on the wrench. Discretion needed Don't want to break anything. Since you won't be reusing the threads hitting the stub head-on with a hammer repeatedly can help break up the dope or rust keeping it frozen in.. Again, discretion needed. If it's really a cast iron T don't hammer. All I've seen is steel pipe/T's for sink lines. If the T shows movement, don't hammer. And there's always the danger of causing one of the other T joints to leak even just wrenching unless you can get an opposing wrench on the T, which you can't do without opening the wall. I recommend just staying with the Fernco.
On 4/3/2013 7:00 AM, Vic Smith wrote:

And lastly, WD-40 is not penetrating oil. You need something like PB Blaster or Kroil. And give it a lot more than 10 minutes, perhaps an hour and if that doesn't work a second treatment leaving it overnight.
--
Peace,
bobJ

On Wed, 03 Apr 2013 11:13:06 -0400 Marilyn & Bob wrote:

What would a plumber have used to remove the steel nipple?
Even with the right penetrating oil, I would think they don't have the time to wait as long as it seems to take.
On 4/3/2013 12:47 PM, Danny D. wrote:

My guess is a plumber would use Kroil. S/he would wait 10 minutes and if it that didn't work, would use a hacksaw blade to carefully cut a slit (or maybe two slits) in the nipple so it could be crushed and removed.
--
Peace,
bobJ

Marilyn & Bob wrote:

d.

+1

experience
DD_BobK wrote on Wed, 03 Apr 2013 23:38:06 -0700:

Clearly DD bob k doesn't know the answer (so why does he reply?).
A bottle jack, on top of a support that spread out the force so that the cabinet was protected would have provided more leverage. Strategically placed BFH blows might also have worked.
However most plumbers would have done exactly what you did, only without the pictures.

cabinet was protected would have provided more leverage.

the pictures.
Bummer that you know only hack plumbers....