How do you make Concret darker color?

Is adding a dye the only way to make it darker. lbbss

Is the concrete existing, or are you pouring new ?
Dye/lampblack (in the wet mix) is best, but I have seen some decent results with regular wood stains, although not permanent, the concrete is usually porous enough that it soaks in a bit.
Of course some places sell premix in bags with colors added, like mortar mixes, but these are premium priced

Do you mean before it is poured and cured or after?
--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

I wonder what would happen if you used dark sand in the mix? I've heard of black volcanic sand beaches but the nearest one I know of is in the Canary Islands.
Paul
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com writes:

Bear in mind that darker concrete will probably be noticeably hotter in sunlight, depending on just how dark you make it. In cold climates this might be an attractive option, in hot climates it might make the path too hot for barefeet in summer. But I agree that newly laid white concrete can be blindingly bright at midday, and a darker tint would be welcome.

writes:

Adding Dye will color it throughout but there are a variety of transparent and opaque stains that will color it anything you like. YOu can mix a DYE in or some are sprinkled on top after pouring. ASk your concrete dealer or contractor what he can do.
I've seen stains used to make a cobble stone look and other faux finishes. They masked off lines where they wanted it to look like grout lines then stained the concrete with brown and green and it looked pretty good in a picture.