How do you make a profit during inventory?

Page 2 of 2

And Costco. Costco looks exactly like Sam's inside. Not surprising considering Sam's ripped off Sol Price's ideas to the letter.

Or put the security tag on the product itself, which is the Holy Grail of product security. That's one thing they're heading for with the RFID push.

But once the miscreant manages to leave the store, apprehending him (or her in the case of cosmetics) at a later date is /not/ worth the hassle, so they don't do it. Better to prevent theft in the first place. Actually, staff shrinkage is a much more difficult problem than consumer shrinkage.

BTW, Walmart has dropped the star. They're just "Walmart" now, one word. That yellow asterisky thing is officially called a "spark".
--
Tegger

Once things go totally RFID in retail stores I think that the shoplifters will quickly start coming up with ways to completely kill the tag, if the tag is not active it won't trigger any of the anti-theft alarms...
Once there is one standard type of equipment used for such purposes there would logically be a huge increase in the amount of shoplifting that takes place...
Shoplifters know how to block the signals on lots of systems using "booster bags" lined with tin foil and duct tape that look amazingly like a normal shopping bag on the outside...

The aggressive "take down" of those shoplifters outside the store is confined to only a small few retail chains at their highest shrink locations... Most stores out there really don't have a full-time LP presence at them all of the time to aggressively pursue shoplifters like that...
You would be surprised what a video clip of someone stealing products from a retail store can lead to these days... Unless it was the shoplifters very first time stealing and they have never obtained a government ID before, there is software out there used by police departments which can identify the person using access to DMV databases and facial recognition...

~~ Evan
Evan wrote:
in

Around here video evidence means squat without uninterrupted visual contact with the subject through selection, concealment, attempted egress without payment and apprehension. All video is good for is possible identification of the scum bags so you can call them by name next time they are in the store.

Yeah, that's how it is around here, too. Video cameras are mostly useful as a deterrent, not as evidence. I often wonder how many of those black globes actually contain cameras...
My experience is that most retailers are so cautious about incurring bad publicity for wrongful shoplifting-accusations that they'd rather let a suspect walk unless they're 100% certain.
There was a case in my area (Ontario Canada) recently where a newspaper staffer was accused of shoplifting in a Walmart. While shopping for shoes for her child, she inadvertently (so she claimed) put the chosen shoes in a different box, the different box having a lower price on it. They accosted her after she went through the checkout. She wrote an article about it in a local paper, but I can't find a link online, and can't remember if there was a followup.
--
Tegger

Since we're all guessing here, and I haven't seen anyone mention it-- My guess is that the new store manager is trying to make his bottom line look a little better *this* time. [nobody in retail ever imagines they'll still be doing that *next* time.]
Jim
Jim Elbrecht wrote:

One of my main functions for my company is supervising physical inventories, ensuring accuracy by all parties, proofing and correcting inventory paperwork, and investigating anomalies.
Our locations have 2 inventories per year. Our stores do not let the shelves suffer for the inventories. Letting the inventory sell down to the point that you have out of stocks has no effect on the stores shrink numbers as you always have to take sales and cost of goods into the equation. The only things you end up doing is making your inventory level look artificially lower than what you need to be running at, you loose sales, and piss off customers.
Our company does not let stock levels on the floor to fall, but they may delay display stock from direct to store vendors until after the inventory is taken.