How do you know a new circuit breaker is protecting the circuit properly?

I am changing a 50-amp breaker to a 30-amp one to install an oven that draws less current than the old one did. I have seen information here about testing a bad circuit breaker, but how do you test a good one? In other words, if I install a new breaker, how do I know it will trip if the load exceeds 30 amps?

Reply to
BobH

Other than shorting both legs of the 220 line and creating an impressive spark, you just assume, as the rest of us, that the breaker works, and chances are that it will.

What is the current draw on your new oven at full load?

Reply to
Mikepier

Put a >30 amp load on the circuit?

Reply to
CJT

The breaker is there to protect the wiring, not the appliance. And there's no need to check them.

Reply to
Steve Barker LT

There is no need to change the breaker to match the load, as long as all the associated wiring is rated for 50A.

Dave

Reply to
spamTHISbrp

Will the plug go in a 50A recpt? If it does then I see no reason to change it.

You would only have to change the breaker if you changed the outlet.

I think most receptacles are keyed somehow to keep you from using an incorrect appliance.

You can plug a 15A device in a 20 Amp recpt, but you can not plug a

20A plug into a 15A recpt.
Reply to
Terry

I'd like to see a 20a plug. They're so few and far between, they might as well obsolete them.

Reply to
Steve Barker LT

Connect it to a load that exceeds 30 amps.

Reply to
volts500

Some heaters and lots of airconditioners use 20 amp plugs. They are sold in our local hardware stores.

Don Young

Reply to
Don Young