How do you get those labels off the vitamin and nuts plastic jars

Page 1 of 2
I've started using the plastic containers for vitamins and mixed nuts and cheeses from Costco but some labels come off easily while others fall into a million pieces.
Is there a TRICK to removing the label from these jars?
Maybe a mechanical technique (I try to peal from all edges, sloooooowly, stopping as soon as I get a tear).
Or better yet, some secret solvent?

Warmth softens the adhesive. Just don't make it so hot the label melts.

Many come off easy after soaking in the sink with med-hot water and a little soap. Some of the others require goo gone or something like it to remove the residue. The mixed nut jars are the absolute worst. Maybe they will read this and modify the glue. -:)
If the warm water and a little soap works you are way ahead by recycling and not buying storage containers at the BORG. If you factor in the cost of a solvent, I am not so sure you come out ahead.
I find the peanut butter jars to be the best overall size and easy removal for storing stuff on the truck. Compared to buying storage containers at Wally World I eat the peanut butter for a net cost of about 50 cents a jar. Pretty darn cheap lunch.
--
Colbyt

Soak the label with a dab of vegetable oil. Another method is peanut butter. The oils soak the label and wash off -- after awhile.
On 10/6/2010 9:42 PM, Oren wrote:

Veg oil, PB, goo-gone, goop hand cleaner. Kinda like stripping wallpaper- you need to scuff the surface so it can get down into the paper. I always try a dry peeling first, though. It all depends on how tight the labeling machine was set that day, how well the glue was applied, how well the mold release was washed off the bottles, how hot the container got in transit. Sometimes you get lucky.
--
aem sends...

SF Man wrote:

Permanent labels are often removed with Rubber Cement thinner. At least that's what's used to remove permanent labels on books.
SF Man wrote:

Yup - mineral spirits. Soak the labeled container in dishwater first. If after a bit of rubbing the paper part of the label comes off but there is still a sticky patch, pour a small amount of mineral spirits (aka paint thinner) on a paper towel (or rag) and rub the sticky patch until it's gone. That almost always does the trick.
Susan

Won't the dishwasher throw the label around in little pieces sticking to everything else? Marina
I do that. Read quickly, and words some how change around a bit. "dishwater" implies a pan in the sink. I'd not want to use "dishwasher" which is a mechanical device with spinning sprayers.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

oops, speed reading.
Marina wrote:

Nope, most labels that do come off, come off in one piece.

Nope, they end up on the removable filter at the bottom of the dishwasher in my case.
SF Man wrote:

Nope, what works varys with the glue originally used.
I only use the glass jars myself and some of the labels come off with a single cycle thru the dishwasher, and some dont.

Fraid not.

Yes, you basically need a higher molecular weight solvent like kerosene for the aggressive glue that doesnt come off in the dishwasher.
There are some commercial solvents that work, but they arent that cheap.
And they arent all suitable for plastic containers either, particularly not acetone/nail polish remover.
Rod Speed wrote:

That's where I'd start, certainly...
dpb wrote

The problem is that the jars I prefer are currently those whose labels dont come off in a single cycle in the dishwasher.
Its just the glue they chose to use.
I should have added that with the ones that dont come off by themselves, what can work with some glues is to put them thru the dishwasher and then open the dishwasher at the end of the hot rinse cycle and help the label off with some sort of scraper, like a putty knife etc, and then get the residual glue off with a cheap high molecular weight solvent like kerosine or turpentine and then give them another cycle to get the remains of the solvent completely removed.
Corse thats a lot easier with glass containers than with plastic containers.
Some just dont bother about the labels, use them with the labels on.

I use Naptha as an all-purpose solvent when soap and water are not enough. Works well even on most plastic containers, just clean it off promptly after removing the labels. As others have said, you need to break thru the surface barrier of the label to get at the glue, this is true also when using Naptha.

I use Naptha

I use Naptha as a general purpose, non-water based solvent. Works great on labels.

<snip>
I know it is a little late to comment on this thread. But, just yesterday, I had the same problem. I had a nice wide mouth jar that had cashews in it. I want to use the plastic jar to keep barbeque run in. But I wanted the label off (I would have used it anyway).
I soaked it in soapy water overnight, and this morning, the paper came off easily. There was a heavy glue residue left. After spraying that with WD-40, it came off slick as a whistle. Anyway, that is what worked for me.
Bob-tx
hr(bob) snipped-for-privacy@att.net wrote

Thats very similar to kerosene, but kerosene is a slightly higher molecular weight, so works better with labels that dont come off in the dishwasher.
Kerosene has a maximum of 16 carbon atoms, naptha has a max of 12 carbon atoms.
WD-40 works on many of them