How do you get rid of Black Mold?

Page 2 of 2  


home....as
like
mechanical
conditions,
Well... We have one...long story short....we got called in, the unit was screwed up (AC unit) and the crawlspace had a water drainage issue. Took samples, ended up getting in a specialist. (we were NOT the original installers on the AC...this was a home for sale, and we were checking it for the buyer) and the home, is now on the ground....as in, insurance didnt pay anything hardly, and you have to treat some types as a hazmat material...I spent a week getting shots for a lung infection..mold.
How bad can it be? Hows longs it been growing?
Mold needs three things to prosper Water, and thats in the air. Food source Dark, or absence of ultraviolet rays.
Mold been here since before the dinosaur...we are not going to kill it all ever.

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
server.neo.rr.com said...

Killz is a very good primer that sticks to just about anything. I wouldn't just put Killz on it, but I would spray it with a 15-20% bleach solution and let it sit for a day or two to dry out. While it is drying you can sand any wood that had the mold to physically remove it. If you take this route, make sure the room is closed off from the rest of the house and wear a respirator and goggles. It is important to sand it while it is still wet as the stuff won't go airborne. It is even better if you can hold a shop vac next to the sander to collect as much as possible white you are doing it. Then after it dries you can cover it with Killz.

It grows in moisture and darkness. The favorite place I have found for mold is in an exterior wall cavity that has gotten wet. The insulation holds the water forever and becomes the food source for the mold even if the leak has stopped.

Stop all leaks and make sure you clean out any wall cavities that are wet. You can get a moisture detector and drill a very small hole in a number of cavities and test them for moisture. You should do this at the bottom as that is where the moisture will linger.
My daughter has a severe mold allergy and has been hospitalized eight times in a three-year span, so I consider myself pretty knowledgable and experienced on the matter. Our old house was just unbearable for her after a while. Our brand new house had a leak because of a crappy fireplace installer and water got into a couple of wall cavitites and the mold was back. I had quotes from $5-15,000 to fix it and the insurance company has a clause so they won't pay a dime other than to repair the leak and the wall damage (about $1K). Needless to say, for that amount I fixed it myself. We have been working closely with a mold dog which is trained to detect mold. His handler has overseen the repairs that I have done and has OK'd everything. You can see if a mold dog is in your area at http://www.mold-dog.com .
The other thing that these mold remediation companies kill you on is high quality HEPA filtered vacs. You can only get so fine on a filter before it is like trying to suck air through a stone and even then there are fine mold particles that will get through. The best solution is to use a simple shop vac with a long hose and put the thing outside. Then anything escaping the filter is already out of the house. We got a price from a cleanup company to just do a HEPA vac cleaning of the whole house (3000 sq ft) and they wanted $3900. You can guess where I told them to go.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Site Timeline

Related Threads

    HomeOwnersHub.com is a website for homeowners and building and maintenance pros. It is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.