How do you get rid of Black Mold?

Page 1 of 2  
How do you get rid of black mold? It's growing on the wall. Someone mentioned "Kills", but I don't know what it is.
Under what conditions will mold grow?
What can be done to prevent it from returning?
Any information is greatly appreciated.
Ken
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
only bleach will kill it , it grows in damp conditions
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Thanks. Please bear with me. I'm asking this question for someone else. I was told that bleach was not an option. Is bleach really the only substance that will kill mold.
Thanks,
Ken
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Bleach or the active ingrediant in bleach sodium hypochlorate kills mold , bleach is cheap ,easy to use . How much mold and where is the mold on your friends house, do you smell it. it may be a simple fix nothing to worry about. most cases are.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Instagone did a great job for us. We applied it to the ceilings a number of years ago and it has not come back.
-- Mike D.
www.stopassaultnow.org
Remove .spamnot to respond by email
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
K Wind wrote:

No, various metallic compounds of copper, arsenic, etc. will too. Bleach is better/safer.
-- dadiOH _____________________________
dadiOH's dandies v3.0... ...a help file of info about MP3s, recording from LP/cassette and tips & tricks on this and that. Get it at http://www.gbronline.com/xico / _________________________________
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
ok , there are gasses and other chemicals to , but they are not safe , cheap , or readily avalable .
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Thanks. My brother in law has a job where he has to remove mold from an office building. I think I'm beginning to understand why he was given the job. He is ignorant of the fact that he is messing with stuff that can possibly hurt him. The customer is paying bottom dollar for his services. He probably used "Killz" and is painting over it as I write. The scary part is he is probably bringing the mold spores home with him. What a carefree life someone can live when they don't know what they're dealing with. Ignorance is bliss.
Ken
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Better yet...IF he screws up, he better be ready for multimillion dollar lawsuits....seriously. This isnt for the uneducated.
Now..YOU have mold in your home now....all kinds...we ALL do. The point is, do we allow it to grow, buy giving it the corect conditions to thrive.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
K Wind wrote:

Don't worry about "bringing home" mold spores. They are there and always have been, unless it is some rare, imported variety. If work clothes are covered with it, he should change before coming home, put the dirty stuff in a plastic bag, launder it alone with bleach in the wash water. Mold grows in dark, damp conditions. Get rid of the dark and damp first. Clean with bleach - doesn't need to be full strength. Kilz is a primer, not a cure-all. The label says....clean, dust free, remove grease and mold, etc, etc. If bleach is not an "alternative" (why not?), then mold is the alternative. Mold will eventually eat into paint, wood, etc.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
i suggest that you hire a mold remediation expert. i just had some mold removed from my basement where there was a water leak. mold spores are in the air everywhere, but can only grow if wet conditions. remove the moisture and the mold has no place to grow. jk

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Why pay someone, you spray on bleach , you clean it off , its not asbestos.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
remove NOSPAM
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
when you sell the house you'll be asked to make certain disclosures...one of them is mold. i've also heard that certain insurance companies will not insure a house that has a history of mold. so don't tell your insurance agent...and cya by taking care of it correctly. jk

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
snipped-for-privacy@carolinabreezehvac.com said...

It's asbestos all over again. File it under the "Gee, how did people ever live before?" category.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
'KILZ' won't kill the mold, but it will allow you to paint over it. It is a sealer for paint.

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

That would be Kilz, and to answer your question, you dont.
If its truely black mold, it is classified as a toxic mold, and having been involved now in several cases of it, one thing you need to know... In some cases, you can get rid of it completely by burning the home....as in to the ground.
Hire someone to come in, get samples, and verify what it is that you are dealing with. IF its the bad stuff, you will need a mold removal expert, with proper credentials, and will probably find out that your home owners insurance will not pay more than $5000 total for a $30,000 repair, and will drop you like a rock when the claims made.
Mold in homes is a complicated issue, and it can be due to the mechanical systems (HVAC) bad drainage, area, indoor air quality, living conditions, etc... No one on the group can give you a definitive answer, other than get someone in and have it checked, and be ready for some bad news.

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Related Threads

    HomeOwnersHub.com is a website for homeowners and building and maintenance pros. It is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.