How do you get rid of an Agave Century plant on the side of the house

My friend has an old Agave Century plant in a relatively inaccessible location on the side of his house
It's a "century" plant, about 3 feet tall and five feet wide with the spiky thorns (I don't have a picture, else I would have posted it). Sorry.
He knows I'm now an expert in poison oak, so he had asked me how to get rid of it. Apparently, today he tried to cut it with a sawsall (leaf by leaf), and the gooey green stuff made his forearms itch like hell within minutes.
Looking it up, apparently it has calcium oxalate crystals and some kind of chemical called a "steroidal glycocide saponin" (whatever that means), the first of which punctures holes in your cell membranes to allow the second access to the juicy part of your cells.
(I wonder who is the predator here.)
Anyway, he asked me HOW best to get rid of such plants without getting splashed with the green itchy gooey stuff.
Any suggestions?
On 1/29/2013 8:16 PM, Danny D. wrote:

Go to google and type "agave harvest"
Pick out a couple of youtube movies and watch them do the job, especially this one:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GCsdrW-agL0

If this looks like a bit too much work, how about a chain and a 4 wheel drive?
--

___________________________________

Keep the whole world singing . . .

Or if you don't mind waiting, spray it with a Roundup type product and wait a month or two until it dies and dries up. Then you can remove it.
On Tue, 29 Jan 2013 21:02:51 -0600, DanG wrote:

I like the part about the tongue of the mother in law!
On Tue, 29 Jan 2013 19:21:09 -0800, Oren wrote:

The problem is that this side of the house is inaccessible, in that it has no (clear) access to a vehicle. So, pulling it out one option that's probably not in the cards.
Watching the video prior, they STARTED with the plant out of the ground, but I'll look for a video where they dug it out.

"A" frame and a come along.
On 1/29/2013 9:16 PM, Danny D. wrote:

How about trimming the leaves off with a long-handled pruning saw? Could probably then douse the base with some brush killer or just dig out the root ball.

Is the adjacent house fireproof? If so you could throw some gasoline on it and burn it, just stay away from the smoke/fumes while it is burning.

If an American, the friend's taxes already pay for an Agricultural Extension Department expressly to answer questions like this.
--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs
On Wed, 30 Jan 2013 17:07:19 -0500, Don Phillipson wrote:

Good point. It's even worse than American. It's California!

Boiling water or steam (industrial steam cleaner is what a friend uses behind his auto shop)
Goats do a good job with poison ivy and kudzu.