How do you get 320 volts.

Hi,

Just found a table saw on craigslist that's single phase, 320 volts. I have 220 in my garage. How does one get 320 volts?

Thanks,

Aaron

Reply to
Aaron Fude

not sure. was thinking one leg of three phase, but that's not right - one leg of 480 to neutral is 277V, and one leg of 600 is 346V

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

You get 320V by being dyslexic.

Reply to
Pete C.

Typing error for 230 volts.......................................

Reply to
WW

Have your wife distract you while you are typing 220.

Eb dyselxci while typing 120?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

On 7/8/2009 7:52 PM Pete C. spake thus:

So didya hear about the agnostic dyslexic insomniac who lay awake nights wondering if there really was a dog?

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

re: "How does one get 320 volts?"

Run for office.

Oh, *volts*!

Sorry...misunderstood the question.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

With a typographical error, of course. DUH!

Reply to
Doug Miller

That's easy. Wire a 220 line and a 110 line together in series.

Reply to
caboose

Three 110V, AC batteries...in series!

Reply to
Bob Villa

How do you drive Unitarians out of the neighborhood..... burn a big wooden question mark on thier lawn.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Call up the seller and ask him to confirm what his ad says....

Jeff

Reply to
jeff_wisnia

So... you responded to a question to say you don't know...

Wait a s e c o n d .... ... you're right, for a change! -----

- gpsman

Reply to
gpsman

Actually that would be the simplest way to do it if 320 was actually needed by just wiring a small transformer in boost configuration so the lines are added.

Reply to
George

The saw is almost certainly says 230V on its power spec plate. 220V service actully often measures 230-240 volt. He just twisted the 2 and the

  1. (See comment on units below)
Reply to
NoSpam

Just a moment though. Here in Canada; I was given some fluorescent fixtures rated at 345 (or 347) volts 60 hertz AC. Afterwards converted a couple by changing the ballasts which had on hand, to 115v. The fixtures had been scrapped from a supermarket upgrade, which certainly would have had three phase service for their fridges freezers, perhaps commercial ovens etc. There were also IIRC some scrapped three pole breakers. Just trying to recall the voltage ratios between our domestic 115/230 volts and three phase voltages. Can anybody help with a quick tutorial? Such as; 345 volts is to say 208 volts as 115 is to ????

Reply to
stan

That stone would move about 1.5 laggards by the sound of it! That's, approximately (to nine decimal places!), 0.877641532 cubits. :-) Better than crashing a Mars Lander cos someone didn't understand metric units, eh?

Reply to
stan

Sounds like a 600 volt nominal 3 phase system

If we use 208 and 117, the ratio is 1.77, and 1.77X345 = 613.

Reply to
clare

Can't put 110 and 220 from the same supply in series though, because

110 is half of the 220. Would need transformer derived (isolated) voltage sources for sure.
Reply to
clare

Actually, the ratio for three-phase voltage is the square root of three =

1.73205...

208 / sqrt(3) = 120.09

345 * sqrt(3) = 597.6
Reply to