How do you get 320 volts.

Page 1 of 2
Hi,
Just found a table saw on craigslist that's single phase, 320 volts. I have 220 in my garage. How does one get 320 volts?
Thanks,
Aaron
Aaron Fude wrote:

not sure. was thinking one leg of three phase, but that's not right - one leg of 480 to neutral is 277V, and one leg of 600 is 346V
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Nate Nagel wrote:

You get 320V by being dyslexic.
On 7/8/2009 7:52 PM Pete C. spake thus:

So didya hear about the agnostic dyslexic insomniac who lay awake nights wondering if there really was a dog?

How do you drive Unitarians out of the neighborhood..... burn a big wooden question mark on thier lawn.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

So... you responded to a question to say you don't know...
Wait a s e c o n d .... ... you're right, for a change! -----
- gpsman

Typing error for 230 volts.......................................
Have your wife distract you while you are typing 220.
Eb dyselxci while typing 120?
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

re: "How does one get 320 volts?"
Run for office.
Oh, *volts*!
Sorry...misunderstood the question.

With a typographical error, of course. DUH!
On Wed, 8 Jul 2009 19:32:35 -0700 (PDT), Aaron Fude

That's easy. Wire a 220 line and a 110 line together in series.
On Jul 9, 12:24am, snipped-for-privacy@train.com wrote:

Three 110V, AC batteries...in series!
snipped-for-privacy@train.com wrote:

Actually that would be the simplest way to do it if 320 was actually needed by just wiring a small transformer in boost configuration so the lines are added.

Can't put 110 and 220 from the same supply in series though, because 110 is half of the 220. Would need transformer derived (isolated) voltage sources for sure.
Aaron Fude wrote:

Call up the seller and ask him to confirm what his ad says....
Jeff
--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat \'57 EE)

The saw is almost certainly says 230V on its power spec plate. 220V service actully often measures 230-240 volt. He just twisted the 2 and the 3. (See comment on units below)
--
>Jeffry Wisnia
>(W1BSV + Brass Rat \'57 EE)
On Jul 17, 12:45am, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Just a moment though. Here in Canada; I was given some fluorescent fixtures rated at 345 (or 347) volts 60 hertz AC. Afterwards converted a couple by changing the ballasts which had on hand, to 115v. The fixtures had been scrapped from a supermarket upgrade, which certainly would have had three phase service for their fridges freezers, perhaps commercial ovens etc. There were also IIRC some scrapped three pole breakers. Just trying to recall the voltage ratios between our domestic 115/230 volts and three phase voltages. Can anybody help with a quick tutorial? Such as; 345 volts is to say 208 volts as 115 is to ????
On Fri, 17 Jul 2009 17:51:50 -0700 (PDT), stan

Sounds like a 600 volt nominal 3 phase system
If we use 208 and 117, the ratio is 1.77, and 1.77X345 = 613.

Actually, the ratio for three-phase voltage is the square root of three 1.73205...
208 / sqrt(3) = 120.09 345 * sqrt(3) = 597.6
On Jul 18, 9:38am, snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com (Doug Miller) wrote:

Yup that sounds about right. Was too lazy at that time of night (here) to pull out a text-book! S.Market would likely have had the approx 600v phase to phase with 345 phase to neutral. Cheers