How do you filter the water from your kitchen sink?

Page 2 of 2

Are you sure?
After reading someone saying at epinion.com about the PUR filter plugging up before the end of filter life, today I thought about boiling the water first to remove the chlorine and then cooling it before filtering with PUR. I wonder that would make the filter not get clogged too early.
I like the size of PUR dispenser but will let it go unless this approach doesn't work.

That certainly sounds like a PITA. Just putting the water in a bottle in the fridge will get rid of the chlorine in about 12 to 24 hours.

I don't like cold water. I will have to let it un-cold again. I have a kettle I use all the time to boil water to put into a pot to boil noodle and so it's pretty fast.
How do I filter the water from my kitchen sink?
I use my gastro-intestinal track and my kidneys to separate the water into water which makes urine, and the other dissolved stuff I do other things with.
I've used Britta pitchers for over 10 years. It requires very little maintenance and the filters are available, sometimes at a big discount.

Are there different choices for Brita pitcher filters? How much Chlorine does the one you have filters? From what I read, it only does

I don't like pitcher. If I gives reasons why, I am sure some people will get on my nerve but I will just pa-lonk them and tell you why.
- I have to wait till water filetrs through before refilling, i.e small amount of filling at a time to get the pitcher instead of just fill and go do other things - I have to lift it up to pour water unlike with dispenser where I just flip water-flow control. - Yesterday, I found out that those Brita filters need to be kept wet. If that's really true, it is the most stupid requirement. Not to mention about < 76% Chlorine filtration.
The new PUR dispenser is smaller in size than the PUR dispenser I have. But it seems that unless I get a countertop, that's what I need to go with.
I am not sure how easy to install the Aquasana AQ 4000 countertop. Beside, it takes a lot of space though it can be converted to under- the-sink dispenser as well as faucet mount. If Kenmore countertop filter 34551 does what the ad says, it would have bene my choice but the 2nd review at http://www0.epinions.com/hmgd-Small_Appliances-All-Kenmore_Countertop_Water_Filter_34551 said this:
Filter The unit comes with a carbon filter which filters out "odor" and "taste". It's really the most basic filter you can buy and probably does little to filter much else, including chlorine. This is probably the extent of filtering that is available at those "Aqua-Vend" machines at the market where 1 Gallon of water is 25 cents. This is also the most basic filtration for Brita and Pur units. As the other review stated on here, it is HIGHLY recommended that you purchase a replacement filter with the unit for a more aggressively filtered, and cleaner tasting, batch of water. Obviously, Kenmore is made by Sears so I checked out the other filters available in the same section. I became EXTREMELY confused.
Kenmore Deluxe 38465 (countertop) filter Chorine better than Kenmore 34551 (countertop) but it cost the same per gallon as Aquasana AQ 4000 (countertop) which filters CYSTS and MTBE additonally to what Kenmore 38465 filters. See at http://www.waterfiltercomparisons.com / Water_Filter_Comparison_Matrix.cfm
It seems that I'll have to go with PUR dispenser with PUR Ultimate filter. Annoying to have to spend money on th dispenser again. And to keep both dispenser when I move would be unthinkable.

You might want to check how well Brita pitcher works in filtering Chlorine. I am not impressed with it. I haven't checked how many different filter choices for it though.
With PUR dispenser (pitcher available too) at http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html/sr=1-1/qid 70880932/ref=sr_1_1/601-0572152-8936942?ie=UTF8&asin00067DW0
it comes to about 25 cents a gallon with PUR Ultimate (2-Stage filter) and 17 cents a gallon with PUR advantge (1-stage filter; CRF 1550) if you buy 3 Pk but you said, you get great discount for Brita. So I don't know what your rate comes to. Note" Trems "Ultimate" and "Advantage" is not used for pitchers and dispenser anymore. Box would say 2-stage or 1-stage.
PUR 1-stage filter is at http://www.target.com/gp/search.html/ref=sr_bx_1/601-0572152-8936942 ? field-keywords=pur+advantge+filter&url=index%3Dtarget
Dispenser model that I have it DS 1800; filter required according to the info on that model is CRF 950 which is currently called 2-stage filter for pitcher - used to be called PUR Ultimate. Second stage of filtering is for microbial cysts - GIARDIA and CRYPTOSPORIDIUM - and so it's not necessary for my city water.
To see which contaminants PUR filter for pitchers and dispenser see http://www.purwater.com/yourwater/pitchers.shtml
Faucet mount has 2 stage and 3 stage choices; 3 stage is overkill IMO, filering things that are not in water supply.
Anyway, I don't understand why the indicator in CRF 950 stops working everytime. I'll try again or try 1 stage this time and see what happens.
If I use enough water, I'll use Aqasana AQ4000 countertop _easy to install - which filters a lot more stuff and better. But filter needs changing every 6 mos regardless of the amount of water use. At $48.00 (for 500 gallaons) , cost is $96.00 per year. I think I use 4 filter replacement (PUR dispenser) the most, hence 40 gallons x 4 = 160 gallons a year at $40/00 the most or less if I use 1 stage filter.
PUR Pitcher at
http://www.epinions.com/pr-Small_Appliances-PUR_Plus_Ultimate_Water_Filter_Dispenser_CR800
New design of PUR dispenser DS 1800: http://www.epinions.com/pr-Small_Appliances-PUR_Plus_Water_Filter_Dispenser_DS1800

Reviw via http://www.epinions.com/pr-Small_Appliances-PUR_Plus_Water_Filter_Dispenser_DS1800
At http://www.epinions.com/pr-Small_Appliances - PUR_Plus_Water_Filter_Dispenser_DS1800/display_~reviews
"Good product, but deceptively advertised"
Reviewer is referring to
At full review: http://www.epinions.com/content_155678969476
"As far as filtration of various unhealthy substances Pur claims its filters were tested and certified by the NSF, a reputable independent lab. I check with the NSF and they confirmed all claims made by Pur. One need to realize that Pur's main filtering element is plain activated carbon, which among other things softens the water by removing minerals, including those like calcium and magnesium that are important for health. Pur on its web site claims that its filters do not have water softeners, which is true but nevertheless deceptive. "
"But my main beef with Pur is its filtering capacity. They claim it to be up to 40 gallons. Pur's definition of "up to" is not what you might expect, however. Actually, it is 10 gallons of normal filtering, after which if begins to take longer and longer, and by about 20 gallons, it pretty much clogged. If you can wait half a day and longer, it will eventually pass the water through for another 10 gallons or so, but even if you don't mind waiting, the big question is whether it's still filtering out anything any more, or maybe even actually releasing what was filtered out previously back in. If you replace it after 20 gallons, this amounts to about 50-70 cents a gallon. So it is still more economical than brand name bottled water, plus the convenience. "
I think I found my answer in the last para which I failed to read yesterady to the end. The current CRF 950 quality has suffered. It cloggs up, not filtering but lettign the water flows, and hence, the red indicator stops moving. I am not buying these filters anymor.
will try Aqasana if I would bother filtering at all since my city water doesn't say it has those microbial cysts.
Crystal Geyser bottled water at 99 cents a gallaon is best for making protein shake.
I was right to suspect that PUR, after getting popular, is cheating us now.