How do you filter the water from your kitchen sink?

Page 1 of 2

Three years ago, I have bought the one just like the one below but mine is with the filter in the front compartment. I really loves it. I used it filtered water for rinsing everything I eat and in cooking too.
http://www0.epinions.com/hmgd-review-2DFD-4A6FD80-38913F66-bd1
Starting middle or early last year, I was having porblem to get the same exact filter replacement made for my PUR dispenser. Late last year, I called the manufacturer and was told that the filters that say on the box "for all pitchers and dispenser" would work. In fact, that's the one I had been using when I couldn't get the kind that came with the dispenser I bought. See the filters here http:// www.jgdesign.com/datasheets/ Targe_Pur_Plus_Water_Filtration_Dispenser.htm
I don't know whether the filter location makes a difference; mine is in the front area. So the problem I was getting with every filkter I bought was that, they'd stopp working w/o finishing the cycle (the red indicator stopped moving) and also, didn't stop the water flow probably because it didn't reach the end of the cycle.
I am a fan of pur; used to use faucet mount before but gave uo after breaking several ones. I don't want a bigger dispenser because I am going to move to an apartment (preferably in another city) from this family owned house. I don't want to buy too many things due to potential space issue in my future place.
Early on after moving to this place, neighbor would have helped me if I wanted to install under the sink filtration but then he would want to get into my bed too. Frankly, I don't want to put such a filtration system. I don't like pitchers either. I keep this dispenser on the counter, not in the fridge.
One thing I can do is move this dispenser to my bedroom - I don't drink enough water and this would rmake me drink when I get up. But I need to get a filtration system?
Any recommendation what I should get? Should get under the sink one and then take it with me when I move? If so, which one is the easiet to install?
My friend who's strated a second job is quiting the old one and he will have time to help me. He is 28 or 29 but the being baby, he never had to do anything like this cus his brothers took care of things. But I think we can manage to install. I want that kind of system only if I can take it with me.
Even with the filtered faucet water in the kitchen sink, I can filter drinking water again (via a pitcher to save space) if that is a better way to go, ie. not put expensive under-the-sink system because I'll be washing pots and pans and what not.
Any recommendation what I should get if there is an under-the-sink system that's easy to install and remove? If there is no such thing that are easy to install, I guess I should just get another dispenser like the one I have.
What substances are you trying to filter out? What is the name of the local water authority where your tap water comes from?

In your other thread, you said you were moving, so installing a thermostat was out of the question. Now, you're talking about installing a water filter. What's with the contradiction?

I guess Sacramento wtaer autheroity? It taste okay but not for drinkng enough. Now with my filter messed up, I haven't been drinking nough water. I just ran out of all my 1 Gallon water bottles purchased for 99 cent a gallon I kept for emergency.

I said "if I can take the water filter off easily and take it with me".
I am not in need of a thermostat but am in need of a water filter. Do you use logic based on facts presented before you criticize?

This is a link to your water quality report. It links directly to a PDF file, so if your computer pauses while that program loads, don't think something spooky's going on.
http://www.cityofsacramento.org/utilities/pubs/DOU_CCR_2005.pdf

By the way, you can take a thermostat with you.

But I don't need a thermostat and not interested in replacing it just for winter. I leave it on for summer and early fall except when I am not home.
Whe I move, it will be in an apartment where management might not like me replacing things. They can't stop me for adding water filter unless they have one already, can they,

Get a filter jug. The biggest annoyance in most water is chlorine and the occasional turbidity (also known as dirt). A Brita jug will handle those things.

Same as sediments?

It seems that the water quality here is good; so I don't need expensive filtration, I guess.
The video for Brita Classic said it can filter 40 Gallons: http://www.expotv.com/videos/Housewares/Brita_Pitcher_Water_Filtration_System/93,16437 /
Even the cheapest price of 5 pack ($37.40) filter will cost 18.7 cent per gallon; single buying at $9.15 will cost 22 cents/gallon. Not bad but is the following a better deal since all I need is mainly for Chlorine?
Replacement filter (for over the counter, under-sink, etc.) at: http://www.watertanks.com/category/327 /
Look at superior countertop water filter system. At $58.88 for 2500 gallons will give 2.36 cents per gallon. It says "Does an outstanding job filtering Chlorine taste and odor, sediment, rust and more". Does that mean it won't filter almost all Chlorine?
Aquasan AQ 4000 (countertop) model at http://www.waterfiltercomparisons.com/Water_Filter_Comparison_Matrix.cfm is 10 cents per gallon $48.00/500 gallons). Retail $124.99 for $99.99 right now at http://www.aquasana.com/?&discountcode=wfcOV but I don't know how easy to install it. Says "AQ-4000 Deluxe Drinking Water System Includes 2 filter cartridges, faucet adapter & instructions. For a LIMITED time Get 1 FREE"
Ah..they have installtion video but it doesn't seem to be working. As enticing as it is, I have no room + I will always have to buy filter online. So Brita it is.

The first review on Brita at
(Amazon.com product link shortened) />/ B00004SU18
gives annoying info: "Do not let the filter dry out. "
But, Bob likes it:
best filter I've found, December 22, 2002 Reviewer: Bob Sacamano "Monk" (Atlanta, GA United States) - See all my reviews In California the water tends to be very hard. I purchased an under the sink two stage water filtration system and thought the problem would be solved. The water still tasted bad so I bought a Brita pitcher filter. Unbelievable! It tasted so good. I think it's because each filter has silver oxide particles mixed in with the charcoal and it softens the water very well. I wish I would have tried this filter first.
This the reason I don't like pitcher: http://www0.epinions.com/hmgd-review-5195-82A9F35-395E6108-prod4
"Cons Takes three times to the faucet before pitcher is completely filled"
One annoyance
You can't fill up the pitcher in one shot. That is, the holding tank that you pour the water into before it passes through the filter is a lot smaller than the pitcher itself, so it takes about three fillings of the holding tank to fill one pitcher.
So no Brita pitcher for me.

Why not just buy milk in gallons and use those bottles? Or apple juice in half gallons, or even sodi pop or ice tea in bottles. All are reuseable. And the bottles are comparatively free because they have to package the liquids in something.

Ah..you missed the point. That *Spring water* is just the right flavor.

What about reusing the bottle of those Srpign water. They have a handle and so it's easy to carry. Are they reusable? If so, I'll go retrieve them from the trash bin. There are about 5 in there. I missed the trash pick-up last Friday.
I haven't been buying 1 gallon milk for a long time. Used to drink a lot but not these past 2-3 years.

Sounds good to me. There's even a spring about 10 miles from here, right along a quiet road, where the water comes out about 4 feet above the road. Perfect.

Sure. Leave the cap off so they dry inside, although I'm not sure that is necessary.

The contradiction is that she's a troll . A well disguised troll.
--
Steve Barker

"JoeSpareBedroom" < snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com> wrote in message
BTW, I don't worry bout lead problem. This house is a little over 3 years old; I have been living here 1 3/4 year.
http://www.ehow.com/how_16271_choose-water-filtration.html
"STEP 4: Think about getting an in-line reverse-osmosis filtering system if your water test shows sodium, ferrous iron, nitrates, lead, fluoride or organic contaminants. Be aware that a reverse-osmosis system puts out a limited amount of drinking water and wastes a lot of water (about 4 gallons of wasted water per gallon of clear water). If your water's calcium count is high, you'll need to use a water softener with this system (see "eHow to Eliminate Hard Water'). "
I don't want reverse-osmosis since it waste water and I doubt that I have lead issue.
Is it really necessary to test the water to see what's in it?
I might change my mind about Pur thought the filter I was using initially would remove lindane.
http://www.waterfiltercomparisons.com/Water_Filter_Comparison_Matrix.cfm Shower filter comparison: http://www.showerfiltercomparisons.net / So far Aquasana is the best deal but the links leades to the ad; That turns me off.
I am getting some useful info; I might as well share the info here. http://www.bestfilters.com/water_filter_ratings.html
I still want your opinion and recommednation.

What is the name of your water company/authority? Many have a web site. The law requires that they provide annual water quality reports, and yours may be on the web site. If not, call them and they will send you one for free. It will list the chemicals found in the water supply.
This assumes, of course, that you're serious about this, which I suspect you are not.

Am I supposed to care about you assumption?
In the past I played it safe as much as I could w/o under the sink system by buying PUR advanced filter which said it removed certain bacteria - gave names. That should give you a clue whether I am serious or not.
If I can't take the damn thing with me, and if it is difficult to install, I won't bother with under the sink.
The neighbor I mentioned put a systrem from walmart under the sink (and also connected to his fridge - he is handy with those work) and then used a countertop one at his kitchen sink, I guess for cooking and drinking. This as*****e wanted to put shevles in my garage for the space I don't need. He wanted a reason to come to my place; he wasn't interested 1-day project like water filtration, not that I asked him for help. I didn't ask him to do anythign knowing where his mind was. I got rid of him completely and so I didn't get the info on what he used for under-the-sink.

What is the point of putting asterisks in the middle of a vulgar or profane word? You still remind all the readers who know the word of what you mean, which is just about as bad as using the word directly.
And you still inform people that you know the word, which a modest woman wouldn't do.
And you give me the impression that if we could hear you and not read the words, you would actually say it or something close.
The asterisks don't accomplish anything. It's still just as vulgar.
There are words like jerk, fool, pain in the neck, etc. which would have meant the same without making you look bad.

In addition, even if what you imagine is true, that's no reason to insult him so much. He didn't twist your arm. He made an offer to put in shelves which he allowed you to refuse.
And your imagination might well not be true. There are lots of reasons he might have thought you needed shelves besides what you imagine. Half the posts here think you need things you haven't asked for, and no one here wants to come to your place.

So knowing the word makes awomen nto modest. I like your logic..not., The point was to hsow my anger. You don't know the extent he went to get inot my bed or get me into his. What a low lie. He's 50 or 51 and was asn asked me such nosey questions.

Of course I could and would say it, gladly.
The only reason I didn't spellit out this time was to show some respect to some nice people here. These days, I am tired of being nice, a nice perosnI eman, I don't care to be a nice lady. What is *a nice lady* anyway? Taking crap from abusive smart alecs? I started using the f-word just once a few days ago and only yesterday, I decorated my post with planty of it in the other thread in this ng. And I won't apologize for it.

I was trying not to be vulgar.

No, he's an asshole. A lot more than jerk.

Imagine?
He didn't just offer; he was pressuring me all the time. He would stop by my place on his way home ( in walking distance on 4-bloks down) from work to see how I was doing and what I needed and then tell me about the shelves. It's annoying. Across from his house was where my sister's house, the first house bought in this area just before my Mom and twin were coming. (No one lives there at the moment.) At the time my mom and twin arrived, my younger brother was finishing school in San Deigo, and coming back soon. My nephew was coming back from San Francisco, to live with my sister, and attend college locally. So there were 4 of them, and the shevles were needed and so my twin did that with his offer. He never really helped. He was trying on my twin. My twin got so mad that she didn't talk to him. The old man nxet door ended up helpign my twin with putting the shevels.
Do you still think the asshole is nice? I am even telling you about him trying on my oldest sister.

alone. We take in some peopel but only temporary as they are not family. This place is already too big to dust and vaccum.

Now you are paranoid.

I meant to say "I was NOT trying not to be vulgar."
Did I mention he''s married?
[..]

I meant "I am NOT even telling ..."
Amanda wrote:

The amount of water it wastes, in terms of cost, is miniscule. If it's really a concern, you can recover that water in a jug, and use it for plants or something.
RO is the only type of home system that really is worthwhile. The PUR will remove chlorine taste, but it doesn't really do much else.
You can get a countertop RO system, i.e. "http://www.thstore.com/thstore/ProductInfo2.asp?ID=W-TGI-CT-445&GroupID "5" but it's more expensive than a regular RO system from Costco ($140).
They do have zero waste RO systems now, though they are much more expensive.