How Do You Cut Railroad Ties?

Page 2 of 2

On Fri, 20 Aug 2010 20:51:53 -0400, "Abby Brown"

In that webpage someone gave they recoommended this:
STIHL Rescue Chain Saw
The chain itself is 160 dollars on ebaay, but look at what it can do.
I hope someone I email this too will buy me one. I'm sure I can find a use for it.
Compact heavy-duty chainsaw for rescue and emergency services use
The rescue saw Stihl MS 460 RS is a chainsaw designed specifically for the requirements of the emergency services. The 76.5cc engine power gives the carbide tipped chain sufficient feed force to cut into roofs and walls.
Materials that can be cut include the following: - Armoured glass - train windows - Sheet steel - Copper or aluminium sheet - Roofing felt - Wooden structures with nails - Masonry - Aluminium roll-up doors      Applications include: - Cutting ventilation openings in flat roofs and cladding structures during fire-fighting missions to allow smoke, toxic gases and heat to escape - this is an important supplement to forced ventilation. - Searching for the seat of a fire, particularly in the case of smoldering fires in the roofs of industrial buildings. - Cutting access gaps in multiple wall structures. - Cutting panes of glass.
The tremendous performance packed by the rescue saw STIHL 046 RHD is mainly due to the following factors:
Performance factor Nr. 1: The power unit This impressive engine develops considerable power right from the mid-speed range. That means sufficient feed force for the chain, with reserves to overcome high cutting resistance.
        Performance factor Nr. 2: The cutting attachments. These comprise the STIHL Rollomatic ES guide bar with the sprocket on the bar nose.
The cutters on the STIHL Rapid Duro S chain are tungsten carbide/cobalt tipped - one of the hardest metal alloys. And the cutting depth limiter allows the bar nose penetration depth to be adjusted from 0 - approximately 20cm.
Performance factor Nr. 3: Reliability. Top quality material is essential for rugged technology. An impact-resistant electronic ignition system ensures easy starting and smooth running of the engine, for example.
A heavy-duty filter system always delivers sufficient clean air, even in very dusty conditions.
Fuel system     Ignition system     Filter system     Cutting attachments     Bar guard with Depth stop     Standard equipment Carburettor: all-position diaphragm carburettor with integral fuel pump Electronically controlled ignition system, encapsulated and dustproof HD-Filter for fine dust     Carbide tipped special chain and Rollomatic E-Super bar     Infinitely adjustable depth stop for cutting depths between 0 - approx. 20 cm     Automatic chain brake, single lever master control, Elastostart, anti-vibration system, side chain tension adjustment, low kickback electronic ignition, see-through fuel tank.

Andy comments:
Put a post on www.craigslist.org that says " Free Railroad Ties if you haul them away " and you will save yourself a lot of work...
Andy in Eureka, Texas
Thermite was used to weld them together 100 years ago. You can buy it off EBay. Or make your own. Aluminum powder and black rust. Black rust FeO4 is formed when iron rusts underwater. Brown rust FeO3 is formed when iron rusts in air. You have to grind it up into very small particles. You use to be able to buy alum powder in an old fashioned hardware store.
On Tue, 24 Aug 2010 13:11:10 -0700 (PDT), Deodiaus

Who lights the Thermite?
Deodiaus wrote:

here you go: http://cgi.ebay.com/EKHART-5413-POWDERED-ALUMINUM-1-/390220806689

I know this is OT, but did anyone see the Factory Made episode where they showed the process of making railroad ties out of recycled plastic bottles?
Here ya go...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N5pE39mJ8p8

I didn't see any effective way in all these posts for ways to help you to cut up the old ties, so let me offer this suggestion: go down to your tool rental place and check out stump grinders. Our rental place has a smaller one that rents for $25 or so a half day and munches through old stump wood rather quickly. Although the chain is rather wide, it isn't hurt by debris like a chain saw is. The machine is easy to guide and control, and the only real downside is there will be a whole lot of wood chips as a by product. Hope this will help.
Joe