How do you cut cement board (hardy board)

How do you cut cement board (hardy board)
thanks

http://tinyurl.com/yzoxoqv

http://tinyurl.com/yzoxoqv
That was very clever!!

I'm sure there are numerous power tools for the purpose. I recently needed to cut a circle and some other small cuts in 1/4" hardy board, and just used a keyhole saw, which worked fine

*I first used a scoring tool with poor results. Then I tried my angle grinder with a masonry blade. It cut nicely, but dust was everywhere. I then tried a diamond blade in my angle grinder with similar results. Then I used my little 3" battery powered Makita circular saw with a diamond blade and had very little dust flying around.
Use a respirator when cutting this stuff.

A respirator is overkill - it's just a little dust, right? If you had the little 3.375" Makita with the water drip bottle you wouldn't even need the dust mask.

A respirator is overkill - it's just a little dust, right? If you had the little 3.375" Makita with the water drip bottle you wouldn't even need the dust mask.
*I have the drip bottle, but that dust is so fine that I was not going to push my luck.
On Mon, 30 Nov 2009 16:14:14 -0800 (PST), RicodJour

They have a pretty nasty warning about the danger of the dust. I would use a respirator.
On Mon, 30 Nov 2009 16:31:00 -0600, Ignoramus2298

If the only tool I had was jig saw, well I would try that.
ignoramus2298@NOSPAM.2298.invalid says...

Do you mean Hardibacker? If so, they sell a carbide tipped scoring tool, but a regular razor knife works fine, it just needs replacing fairly often.
But the key is to bend it backwards of what you do for drywall. Score on the line, then prop the Hardiboard on a 2x4 on the far side of the cut and step on the cut to *close* the score, not open it up like drywall. Then bend it back and it will snap.
--
Dennis

On Mon, 30 Nov 2009 16:31:00 -0600, Ignoramus2298 wrote:

I used my carbide bladed circular saw. It did fine. It has a cheap HF blade that holds up very well.
Ignoramus2298 wrote:

I used a 6 tooth Irwin I bought from the local hardware store for $15.00. You can also get it at AMazon: (Amazon.com product link shortened)
It wasn't as dusty as I thought it was going to be, but still wear a respirator and do it outside.
Jon