How do you create a PDF by copying a page in an HP printer/copier?

There are a lot of dusty old pack rats on the web - I don't believe any software is impossible to find. Could probably find the OS for my hubby's Commodore 64 :o) I think he said it has 3k of memory :o)

Reply to
norminn

Yes. Lesson(s) learned.

The only reason the complete HP package didn't work at first to create a PDF from scan2PDF freeware was that I needed to reboot the PC (I'm always reluctant to reboot as I wonder what the PC does during the reboot that it can't do w/o a reboot.)

Anyway, after the PC reboot I did the following and it worked just fine:

  1. I put the piece of paper to be scanned to PDF into the printer
  2. I started scan2PDF freeware
  3. I checked that the HP printer was a scan2PDF source (it was)
  4. I pressed the scan2PDF scan button which initiated a scan on the printer
  5. The result was a PDF in scan2PDF that I simply saved to my hard disk.

Wow. How simple it all is once the TWAIN drivers were installed! (OCR will be a whole 'nother ball game ... I'll look for freeware OCR software separately.)

Lesson(s) learned:

- While HP printer drivers are easy to find, HP TWAIN drivers are not!

- Without the HP TWAIN driver, the scanner just won't work

- With an HP TWAIN driver, scanning to PDF is as simple as Scan2PDF

Scan2PDF version 1.7 Windows/Vista freeware:

Note Scan2PDF freeware also combines PDF files into a single multi-page PDF.

Reply to
Brent

It wasn't easy, and it took two days, but thanks to you, I can write how to scan color files to PDF on an HP laserjet 3200m black and white printer.

  1. SAVE the original CD that comes with the HP 3200m printer!!!!!!

Note: Step 1 cannot be stressed enough; HP TWAIN drivers are not on the HP web site! You can ONLY get the TWAIN drivers by calling HP support or by finding a CDROM on the Internet (which I found out at

.

  1. Once you install the HP TWAIN drivers, then (and only then), obtain and install a copy of scan2PDF 1.7 freeware.
  2. Simply place the document(s) in the HP printer feed tray to be scanned and press the scan button on scan2PDF (after selecting the HP printer as your scan source).
  3. When scanning is done, simply press the scan2PDF save button to save the scanned documents as a PDF file.

Voila!

Reply to
Brent

I tried downloading the one for the All in One. That downloaded OK.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

Brent wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@UCSB.edu:

You are such a fucktard. Any unborn child knows this.

Reply to
ktos

Thanks Mark, It turned out to be something (as yet still unexplained) on my side that wouldn't allow me to download the HP printer drivers.

But, in the end, it didn't matter because the TWAIN drivers for the scanners aren't available on the HP web site.

Thanks, Brent

Reply to
Brent

The 20K OS was burnt into ROM on the C-64. The 64 in the name referred to the 64K of available RAM, though only 38K of it was available for BASIC programming. Though you can find the OS and many C-64 emulators online today

The Bally Arcade sold in 1977-78 with the drop in BASIC cartridge had 2K of RAM and 2K of ROM. It preceded the C-64 by a couple years. You'd be surprised what you can author in only 2K of RAM if you are creative enough. When I see what bloatware-programmers can't even implement in 2M today I have a good laugh at them. I had a few games and utilities published for the Bally Arcade. My favorite being one called "A-Mazed in Space". That one was the ultimate programming discipline to fit it all in only 2K of RAM while written in BASIC, not one byte wasted. It would construct a new random maze of any complexity or dimensions from user input. Then you had to fly up to 4, player controlled, 8-direction-retrorocket spacecrafts through it in zero-gravity without hitting another's spacecraft or wall, or it would blow up your spacecraft and send you back to the start. Complete with all the bells and whistles of colors, sound effects, and warning text displayed while playing.

Programming on the Bally Arcade was a fun challenge in the use of 4 color "shift" keys on a 24-keypad so the 20 other keys would have full alpha-numeric and BASIC command input. They implemented the first use of saving and loading your programming to an audio-cassette recorder through the use of a modem. I sill have mine. A method that Commodore adopted later for their C-16 and C-64.

I was hopeful that Bally would have pursued their next phase of computer with the Zgrass programming language in it, the very same graphics programming that was used to create the special effects in the movie "2001: A Space Odyssey", but unfortunately the mucky-mucks at Bally put their money into gyms instead of computers and their next computer was never realized. I was forced to move to Commodore. I think I still have the pre-order form in my "collectibles" cabinet, in anticipation for when it was going to be manufactured and released but never was. I suspect the CEOs of Bally are probably kicking themselves today with every step on their stair-masters in their temples of self-worship. Though that too was a good financial move it was nowhere near to what they could have been sitting on today had they developed their computer line instead. Jocks are never very intelligent. The phrase "dumb jock" was epitomized by the CEOs of Bally.

Reply to
ron_tom

** COMMODORE 64 BASIC V 2.0 ** 64 K RAM SYSTEM 38911 BASIC BYTES FREE READY :-) Spend most of my adolesence (my free time, obviously) on my best friend's c-64. There were also manu Cold War inspired games (Raid over Moscow was one).
Reply to
Tzortzakakis Dimitrios
[snip]

The previous machine, the Commodore VIC-20 (The worlds first color computer for under $300) came with 5K RAM (3.5K available for BASIC programs). There was an additional 1K*4 bit RAM for color. It was possible to add 24K additional RAM using a plug-in cartridge (plus another 3K and 8K, but the screen makes it non-contiguous)

I wrote a BASIC expansion (called BASIC PLUS) for the C-64, which was designed to fit into the lo cartridge address space ($8000-$9FFF). I really got a lot into that 8K. I added a version for the C-128 too.

BTW, these Commodore machines had very slow disk drives. A 1200BPS modem was faster.

[snip]
Reply to
Mark Lloyd

Right after I hit send, I remembered the VIC. =) I ran into them when I was fixing friend's computers that wanted me to add in the extra SID chip to their C-64's for stereo.

I vaguely recall using that. =)

HEX editing printer drivers was my main ML coding at the time, trying to get obscure printers to work with the C-64/128's at the highest resolutions possible. My earliest full-color printer with the CMYK ink bands on the ribbon was a real challenge to get it to work in GEOS. It finally produced some fairly decent images at something like 280dpi. Quite the feat for what is originally a 72dpi platform. I had built an NTSC to GIF converter board and wanted to print some of those captures from my VHS-recorder and VHS video camera. The days before they contained the tape within the camera itself. =)

The C-128 with the RAM expansion pack, still hooked up in the basement with the GEOS operating systems on it, was my first taste of CP/M. When I later migrated into DOS I realized there was some major Gate's thievery going on. There was virtually no difference between the two. My previous CP/M experience making the move totally painless. About the only difference being that .COM and .BAT files were named by different extensions, which I forget at the moment.

A whopping 168k on a single-sided 5.25" floppy! At the allotted 1-2 hour a day access to BBS's it would take a good 3-7 days to download a new game or application to fill a 168k floppy. The days when shareware actually meant SHAREware. Today it's been renamed to freeware after the greedy and self-serving usurped the title of community shareware. My box of 8" 168k floppies in storage is even more fun to look at. There's also an interesting 150 baud modem in that storage pile. It weighs about 30-40 lbs., the size of a medium suitcase. You have to hardwire the phone line, no modular plugs back then.

Interesting (to me) I found I can type faster than 300 baud modems. Chats were highly annoying. Did you ever lose connection on a P2P file transfer in Punter protocol and had to resume it by one party typing GOOGOOGOO... real fast and the other typing ACKACKACK... ? ("go" and "acknowledge") Those were the days ... =)

The more interesting thing about these old "slow" machines is that they weren't all that slow at the time. Programmers had the discipline to tighten up their code, making every byte count within those limited memory constraints. I attribute the eventual move from 1MHz to 3.4GHz CPUs being caused by really sloppy programmers and those that got paid by how many lines of code as opposed to functionality--bloatware. They wondered why their programs ran so slow, always blaming the CPU speed instead of their own terrible programming skills. By using some creative thinking I found a way to scan all 4 game-controllers' switches and pots in that Bally Pro Arcade with only 3 short lines of BASIC for a 4-player "Simon" game I wrote. Those 3 lines becoming a real assist for any later BASIC programs. Run Windows 3.1 on a present PC machine sometime. Be amazed at the blinding speed at which it operates.

This off-topic got me interested in searching out emulators for these old machines. I found a program called MESS at .org. Then on rapidshare I found a pack of 631 gaming-machine and early computer ROM images to plug into it. Everything from my first gamer the Odyssey II with PONG (1974-75? still have it), to Gameboys, Playstations, Kaypros, early Macs, TI's, and C-128's, etc. It'll be a fun walk through nostalgia-land.

I'm glad someone brought this up. This was a good "net-suck".

[Net-suck: n. Minding your own business on the net and you see some obscure thing that triggers a memory and you are sucked into the net into a remote and distant place that had absolutely nothing to do with what you had intended on accomplishing. The original reason for surfing now just an obscure memory. Usage: (usually derogatory) "Well there goes 7 hours of my life I'll never get back, all thanks to that nasty net-suck."]
Reply to
ron_tom

That's usually the photographer, not the camera. It's caused by not having the viewing axis of the camera exactly perpendicular to the plane of the painting. If you're not used to doing that it's a tricky thing to get right.

Reply to
Chris Malcolm