How do you create a PDF by copying a page in an HP printer/copier?

Page 1 of 6

How do you create a PDF by copying a page in an HP printer/copier?
I have the HP 3200m B&W laser printer/copier which is not a flatbed but a "regular" printer/copier that accepts paper sheets fed into it.
Do I need special software to copy to a PDF on the computer?
I lost the original HP driver disk long ago but can download the drivers if that's what I need to copy-to-pdf.
Or is there "special" WinXP PC software that allows a printer copy to be converted to a PDF?
On Sat, 13 Feb 2010 05:36:57 +0000 (UTC), Brent wrote:

I don't think HP printers can scan directly to PDF.
This is the description of your printer. http://www.onlinefreeebooks.net/gadget-ebooks/hewlett-packard/hp-laserjet-3200-3200m-printer-fax-copier-scanner-service-manual-pdf.html
And this is the product manual for your printer. http://dmg.ap.buffalo.edu/faculty/phones/3200manual.pdf
Nowhere does it say that HP printer can scan to a PDF!
On Fri, 12 Feb 2010 22:12:19 -0800, LM wrote:

Maybe there is WinXP freeware to scan to PDF for an HP3200m B&W printer?
On Sat, 13 Feb 2010 06:27:54 +0000 (UTC), Brent wrote:

Maybe ScanToPdf will work for you. http://www.scantopdf.co.uk / http://download.cnet.com/Softi-Scan-to-PDF/3000-2064_4-10795678.html
Another way might be A-PDF. http://www.a-pdf.com/faq/hp-scan-pdf-scanner-software-download.htm
Or the HP director. http://www.computeroffice.law.cam.ac.uk/using_law_pwf/how_do_i_scan_to_pdf.php
Not all are free though but freeware probably won't work for anything useful anyway.
--- ---
On Fri, 12 Feb 2010 22:36:33 -0800, Melissa Andrade wrote:

I guess you get what you pay for but I did locate these listed as 'free downloads' that I can try.
1] Scan2Pdf http://www.snapfiles.com/get/scan2pdf.html 2] iCopy/CutePDF http://www.digitalpurview.com/free-scan-to-pdf-solution / 3] STP http://www.freewarefiles.com/Scan-To-PDF_program_53296.html
I think OCR might be a problem though with these images scanners.
It might be nice to see what others use to scan to PDF from an old HP 3200m black and white laser printer.
On 02/12/2010 10:36 PM, Melissa Andrade wrote:

Wow. That was a funny thing to say, considering where you cross-posted.
Download and install a "pdf printer" and you'll be able to save anything as a pdf. There are a lot of good, free ones around but I'm most familiar with pdf creator at <http://www.pdfforge.org/ . It's free and open source so you can use it legally for private and commercial purposes.
After installation, pdf creator will look like any other printer on your system. Just open the file that you saved and select "print." The print dialog pops up and you'll see "pdf creator" as one printer option. Choose that and away you go.
One caveat. During install, PDF Creator give you the option of opting out from installing a "browser toolbar." I recommend you do that. Unclick it and the toolbar will not install.
hth,
--
-Craig

On Fri, 12 Feb 2010 23:28:27 -0800, Craig wrote:

I'm not trying to print to PDF.
I'm trying to scan to PDF from an HP 3200m laserjet printer.
I tried all the scan2pdf programs listed but none worked because none could find the printer as a scanner.
Each time they asked to select the scanner device, they all hung and did not see the printer.
Funny though. The printer works fine as a printer so it's connected to the WinXP PC by the serial port.
I wonder if there is some trick to get the Windows XP PC to recognize the HP 3200m printer as a scanner?
On Feb 13, 7:25pm, Brent <beemdoub...@Use-Author-Supplied- Address.invalid> wrote:

The print to PDF is a way to print a file to a PDF file .. it's strange terminology but it gets past some legal issues I believe.
If you have Open Office it lets you save to PDF, place the image into a page and click the button "Save Copy To PDF" I do this often for my resume and it works well.
On 02/13/2010 12:53 AM, Zaphod wrote:

Thx Zaphod... Much better than the way I put it.
--
-Craig

On 2/13/2010 12:25 AM, Brent wrote:

from HP? They *are* different from the printer drivers, yes?
hth
Ron Moore

I agree that it's probably a driver issue. But the last HP printer I had (several years ago) had to have a massive bloated application program installed that often crashed, and the only way to fix it was to delete everything, and do a completely fresh install, each time it did crash. (usually once or twice a month)
OH !,... and now I remember why I no longer own an HP printer.
| On Fri, 12 Feb 2010 23:28:27 -0800, Craig wrote:

| I'm not trying to print to PDF.
| I'm trying to scan to PDF from an HP 3200m laserjet printer.
| I tried all the scan2pdf programs listed but none worked because none could | find the printer as a scanner.
| Each time they asked to select the scanner device, they all hung and did | not see the printer.
| Funny though. The printer works fine as a printer so it's connected to the | WinXP PC by the serial port.
| I wonder if there is some trick to get the Windows XP PC to recognize the | HP 3200m printer as a scanner?
You are mising the boat !
IFF the HP all-in-one is able to scan then you *MUST* have TWAIN Drivers for said device.
ANY TWAIN compliant program will then be able to use the HP All-in-One and be able to use ANY of the PDF software suggested.
My suggestion: Use XnView as a free graphics program that has a scanner interface and is TWAIN capable.
Use PDFCreator on SourceForge to to take any scanned objects in XnView and create a PDF.
--
Dave
On Sat, 13 Feb 2010 08:25:22 +0000 (UTC), Brent wrote:

Then fuck off.
--
Steve

Due to the volume of garbage I filter out googlegroups.
Cawshus wrote:

Plonk!
Brent wrote:

Well, there's your problem. The 3200 doesn't connect via serial port.
I'm at a loss to understand how you managed it.
Unless you cut off the grounding plug or something.
HeyBub wrote:

Perhaps he was refering to USB, Universal Serial Buss?
TDD
The Daring Dufas wrote:

I think he was refering to Frosted Flakes.
HeyBub wrote:

Naaaaaa, he was referring to Froot Loops!
TDD
On Sat, 13 Feb 2010 17:23:41 -0600, The Daring Dufas wrote:

Actually, I meant the "parallel port".
Will this work for you?
Load Scanner
File Programs HP HP Solution Center Select Scanner Scan Document Scan to: Save to file Scan Accept No
Name file and from Save as type: PDF
Don Vancouver, USA