How do we know when 120V US socket strip can handle Europe 240V?

But a waste since he does not need to be able to plug any euro plug devices into it, and he STILL needs the plug adapter because it comes with the American style 15 amp parallel blade plug........

Reply to
clare

It won't be HIS disaster. Anyone stupid enough to plug their stuff into his power bar without asking deserves what he gets (it will only kill the device, not the owner)

Reply to
clare

Any "expert" who says it is two phase is no expert.

Reply to
clare

Because half of what he wants to run isn't 5 volt (usb)??? I have several 3 volt, 9 volt and 12 volt devices, not to mention 19 ,

24, and 31.
Reply to
clare

Has your screw-in lamp socket always worked? US lamp sockets are E26, European are E27. That's only a mm off, and I've had them work interchangeably, but I've also had them not work.

Reply to
TimR

Well stated.

The bottom line is that a 120V outlet strip will work fine at 240V. The surge protectors won't blow at 240V. If there's a neon lamp pilot light in the switch it _might_ blow because the series resistor is too low of a value, but no harm will come from it blowing.

Personally, I like the universal power strips that will accept all plug types such as .

Reply to
sms

An e26 will always fit an e27 socket. An e27 can be a "tight fit" in an e26 socket. In the "real world" I think we in North America often end up with e27 sockets regardless.

Reply to
clare

Are you certain? The peak voltage of a 240V line is 340V. If the surge protectors are 300V...

Reply to
William Sommerwerck

That's possible if they cheaped out on the surge suppressors. Most power strips use MOVs that won't clamp until 340V.

I guess it's a better idea to buy a power strip rated at 240V since you'll have more margin. Or buy a 120V power strip with no surge suppressors.

Reply to
sms

There are 3 types of MOVs used in most power strips (and other surge protectors) - 300 volt, 400 volt and 500 volt The 400 volt are by far the most common. The 300 gives better protection on 120 volt circuits, but the 400 is most common and adequate on 240 as well. Particularly in the cheap Chinese stuff it means they can use the same devices world wide.

Reply to
clare

** What I wrote is correct.

The strip will *handle" the same current so the power capacity will double.

** Really - the *same* devices ??

** Only be true for wide range SMPS ( ie 90V to 260V) and those devices that can be switched to 240V.

.... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

** Your words are the subject here.

** It is wrongly worded and misleading, for anyone except maybe a Canadian.

.... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Not always true. With a linear supply it would be true, as the different transformer windings would both convervt the voltage down to the same low voltage.

Switching supplies are not all the same, and some just convert the incoming power to 400Hz (or higher) AC,run it through a transformer and reduce it to the outgoing voltage with a regulator. If the device is plugged into a 120 volt socket, the output voltage of the transformer is 15 volts, if it is plugged into a 240 volt socket, it would be 30 volts.

The internal regulator would even it out.

Current draw would be the same.

Geoff.

Reply to
Geoffrey S. Mendelson

** Really - the *same* devices ??

** Only be true for wide range SMPS ( ie 90V to 260V) and those devices that can be switched to 240V.

Yes, Phil. We know that, Phil. That's what we were talking about, Phil. [Pats Phil's pate patronizingly.]

For someone named Phil, you certainly show little love for other people.

Reply to
William Sommerwerck

Not always true. With a linear supply it would be true, as the different transformer windings would both convert the voltage down to the same low voltage.

Switching supplies are not all the same, and some just convert the incoming power to 400Hz (or higher) AC, run it through a transformer and reduce it to the outgoing voltage with a regulator. If the device is plugged into a 120 volt socket, the output voltage of the transformer is 15 volts, if it is plugged into a 240 volt socket, it would be 30 volts.

The internal regulator would even it out. Current draw would be the same.

I don't think that's correct. To (possibly over-) simplify things, at higher line voltages, the pulse width will be narrower, and less charge will be drawn from the filter caps. Ergo, less current will be pulled from the line.

Reply to
William Sommerwerck

Reguardless - they will never draw MORE current from 240 than they would on 120 - so current capacity is never going to be an issue - and MOST will draw less current on 240. One of the advantages of switch mode power supplies is higher efficiency.

Reply to
clare

Don't confuse Phil with facts - his mind, such as it is, is already made up.

Reply to
clare

I asked out of experience. I have an E27 fixture, a German pole lamp, that will not work with some brands of E26 CFL. They don't seem to make enough contact. Other brands do work. These same CFLs start fine in an American pole lamp.

Reply to
TimR

Didn't know that and thanks for the info. Although I carry the lamp socket adapter when I travel to Europe, I've only used it in U.S. bargain motels that sometimes provide few if any convenient sockets. However, if I need to use it in Europe and it doesn't screw into the lamp socket, I'll know why. I have used the single plug adapter - extension cord connection many times in Europe with no problem at all for camera battery chargers, tablet chargers and dual voltage electric razors (the latter when the hotel room's razor outlet was non-functional).

Reply to
Peter

Open it up and check there is nothing that might not like 240V in it.

Reply to
Brian Gregory