How do u make an interior door NOT swing so easily ?

If i just brush against an interior door in my house, it closes . I want it open. Can i put anything in/on the hinges so it wont swing so easily ? Thanks.
JustCallMe Norman wrote:

No you don't put anything on the hinges, you just remove one or more of the hinge pins and bend it a little with a hammer and put it back in with a few taps. Don't over do it the first time.
--
Joseph Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math
Joseph Meehan wrote:

That works, but IMHO it gives the door a "funny" draggy feel when you move it.
I prefer the magnetic or mechanical catches which hold the door against the wall. they usually fasten onto the baseboard.
In case you didn't figure out why it "closes by itself" that way, it's because the jamb the hinges are attached to is not perfectly vertical, and the door wants to drop towards a position of lower potential energy. If the jamb were tilted oppositly the door would move towards the open position.
You might also consider getting the foundation of your house jacked up on the proper side to correct the condition. <G>
Jeff
--
Jeffry Wisnia

(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)
Jeff Wisnia wrote: ...

My father, the carpenter and locksmith always framed his doors so they were off vertical in a position of falling towards the wall so they would tend to stay open if open and stay closed if closed.
--
Joseph Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

Joseph,
This is a little job security for the locksmith, guy gets up and steps out on his porch to pick up the paper and the door shuts behind him locking him out.<G>
I realize this was sometimes done, but I don't believe the practice was an industry standard.
--

Roger Shoaf (also a locksmith)

Something like this happened to a guy in a wheelchair in W. Michigan a week or two ago (but he was taking out the trash, not getting his newspaper). He dropped his keys, was unable to reach them under his wheelchair, and died of exposure.
Perce
On 01/05/05 09:51 am Roger Shoaf tossed the following ingredients into the ever-growing pot of cybersoup:

On Tue, 04 Jan 2005 19:45:48 -0500, Jeff Wisnia

I tried this a couple of years ago, it worked just fine. Problem now is stuff keeps sliding off the kitchen countertop.
Ken

You have no duct tape?
A good first step is to make certain the screws holding the hinges are tight. I have to experiment because I always forget the rule, but I think tightening the top hinge tends to keep the door from swinging closed, but maybe its the bottom hinge.
JustCallMe Norman wrote:

there.