How do they make semi-round pickets

How do they make semi-round pickets?
I mean fence pickets that are convex on one side and flat on the other.
They used to be made by cutting the center out of a tree in the form of flat boards and then the small pieces on the sides were already semi-round.
But my friend thinks they are milled. Wouldn't that be too expensive, to make the cutting wheels?
I have had a few pickets that seemed like the round side was really 3 narrow flat sides in row. But afaict they were in the same batch as a lot of other pickets that were clearly round.
mm wrote:

... Never seen such a beastie, but as for milling, they make far more intricate mouldings than that. It wouldn't be particularly expensive.
mm wrote:

Some are still made this way. Veneer lathes cut a continuous strip of wood from 4-foot or 8-foot long logs as one step in making plywood. When the log has been reduced to a small diameter, it is kicked off to a conveyor that goes to a rip-sawing operation. The core is sawed square and then split into two 2X4's ... and four pieces that might end up in your fence. Wood is too expensive to waste and the mills manage to make something salable from every bit.

Very interesting. Thanks all.
But I thought baby carrot was a euphemism and they were actually unused carrot embryos.
mm wrote:

WHEW! I thought they were aborted carrots.
TDD
The Daring Dufas wrote:

I actually saw them being made on Discovery Channel "How Its Made" last night.
Lou
On Fri, 12 Jun 2009 23:01:09 -0500, The Daring Dufas

I was going to list that as the second choice, but thought people might yell at me.