How do I wire this lamp??

I have this 1920's lamp with three sockets I need to wire. The link below leads to a picture of the top part of the lamp. The only parts that can be removed are the sockets and the short curved pieces to which they attach. The shaft can't be removed from the lamp. There is not enough room in the ball at the top of the lamp for wire nuts, and I can't get three pieces of lamp cord down through the shaft so I can make the connections inside the lamp base. Any ideas how I can wire this? Thanks.
http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m157/camdavis/colby3.jpg
On Sun, 23 Mar 2008 01:38:25 +0000, J. Cameron Davis wrote:

Would there be enough space in the curved tubing to do the following?
I'd try #14 stranded wire and wire sockets in parallel. I wonder if you limit the wattage of bulb if you couldn't go to a #16 wire.

# 16 is good for about 1000 watts. He'll probably use 60

That certainly is overkill considering most lamp cords at 18 ga.

I'm pretty sure that the shaft unscrews from the spherical hub where the three sockets are attached, and you'll find the splice for the three sockets and the power cord in there

I think so too.
I think it will be hard or impossible to use heat shrink tubing with this umbrella arrangement of wires. Solder and electrical tape will be fine.

J. Cameron Davis wrote:

Solder the wires and use head shrink tubing instead of wire nuts.
--
Blattus Slafaly ? 3 :) 7/8

On Mar 22, 10:17pm, Blattus Slafaly 0/00 ? ? ?

re: use head shrink tubing
Don't you have to order that from Africa or some place like that?
DerbyDad03 wrote:

They have it a Home Depot, Radio Shack or All Electronics web site.
--
Blattus Slafaly ? 3 :) 7/8

On Mar 23, 8:57am, Blattus Slafaly 0/00 ? ? ?

Those stores sell *heat* shrink tubing...you suggested *head* shrink tubing,
Head Shrinkers...Africa...Get it?
DerbyDad03 wrote:

If you're going to make a funny, it's better if you get it right. <G>
Head shrinking was/is(?) a South American thing.
Jeff
--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat \'57 EE)

Use very small wire. Each lamp will only need 1 amp or less. All you have to worry about is the insulation being rated for 120 volts or more. Number 20 or even maybe 22 would carry each bulb.
On Sun, 23 Mar 2008 01:38:25 GMT, "J. Cameron Davis"

The less modification the better wrt antique value, and it will make me happy too.
So please don't replace the covers for the sockets unless you absolutely have to (and I can't imagine that.)
The sockets themselves are probably still good for another 20 years also.     They do sell knew ones, but i'm not sure they will fit in those covers, so if you replace the sockets, you might need new, shiny, anachronistic covers. I'm not sure the new covers are like these covers so if you attempt to replace the tubular part, you might have to replace the base also.
Also you won't be able to get matching chains.

#18 or #20 wire with Teflon insulation would be my choice. Run the wires to the base and make all of you connections there.