How do I wire a light with power to light first

Hello.

I am installing two new ceiling lights and a new switch and cannot find any instructions (even in books) on how to do it with the power going to the lights first. Can it be done that way or do I have to go to the switch first.

This is how I want to do it:

=>=POWER===>===(LIGHT 1)===>===(LIGHT 2)===>===[DIMMER SWITCH]

the one dimmer switch would work both lights together.

Thanks for any help.

Bob M

Reply to
BMzx

Bob M. wrote: >Can it be done that way or do I have to go to the switch

I wouldn't do it that way, sorry. Power/Switch/Lights for me. Tom M. Work at your leisure!

Reply to
Tom

Tom, Thanks for the reply. The power wire that I want to use is in the ceiling where I want the light. I would think there is a way to do it rather than go from the ceiling over to the wall switch then back to where I started.

Thanks.

snipped-for-privacy@aol.comEDY (Tom) wrote:

Reply to
BMzx

What you propose is called "remote switch" wiring........see text near the bottom of the page.

The black feeder from your supply is spliced in the lamp box to the black wire that goes to the switch and the white wire coming from the switch connects to the black wire going to the light bulb(s).

All the rest of your connections must be black to black and white to white.

Reply to
PrecisionMachinisT

It can't be done the way you have it laid out using only two-conductor cable.

You must either use three-conductor cable (black, white,and red) between the light fixtures, or lay it out differently.

This would work:

black ------------+-----black-----+------black----+ SWITCH +------red------+------white----+ POWER | | black black | | LIGHT-1 LIGHT-2 | | white white | | white ------------+-----white-----+

Or you could wire the switch and the power source to the same light, and use only two-conductor cable throughout, like this: (view in a fixed font like Courier)

POWER

white ---------------------+-----white-----+ | | black --------+ white white | | | | LIGHT-1 LIGHT-2 | | | | black black | | | black +------+-----black-----+ | | | white | | + SW +

Or just bring power to the switch first.

Reply to
Doug Miller

SVL

Thanks for the link. So it can be done! I'm having a problem visualizing what that article says. I'll have to try and find some kind of a diagram somewhere. Thank you

Reply to
BMzx

You system won't work - no way to turn-off the lights

Try this:

------------------------------------------------------------+

| -----------------+----------------------+ switch \ } light1 } light2 | +-----------------------+----------------+

Reply to
Mike

snipped, some dimmers need a neutral. Check to see what your dimmer needs. Make sure you have enough room for the extra splices in the fixture boxes.

Reply to
SQLit

You're picture is not quite right:

=>=POWER===>===[LIGHT1]===>===[LIGHT2] | | | | [SWITCH] (could be a dimmer)

I assume you know what to do with the ground wires so I'll leave them out:

In the box for LIGHT1, connect the white power wire to the silver screw or white wire of the light fixture and the white wire running to LIGHT2. Connect the black power wire to the black wire going to SWITCH. Connect the white wire from SWITCH to the brass screw or black wire of LIGHT1 and to the black wire to LIGHT2. You really ought to wrap some black tape around both ends if this white wire to SWITCH, or put some red nail polish on it. Connect both the black and white wires to the switch or dimmer and you are done.

Bob

Reply to
zxcvbob
040611 1644 - snipped-for-privacy@BMzx.com posted:

2 wire A 3 wire B 2 wire C

On light 2, connect the black wire from the 3 wire to the white wire in the

2 wire going to the dimmer switch, then return the black wire on the dimmer switch to the light 2, and connect the light 2 and the red wire in the 3 wire B together, using the red wire in 3 wire B to light 1 to connect to light 1. The neutral wires in 2 wire A, and 3 wire B will connect to the white wires in light 1 and light 2, while the black wires in 2 wire A and 3 wire B connect together with a wire nut in the box.
Reply to
indago