How do I Unthaw yard hydrant underground?

Reply to
kafoster955

kafoster955

I got a 2 foot small white hose (like the one used behind refrigerators for water), and a squeezie bottle. Cut a hole in the top on the bottles lid a nd push the white hose into it only about 1/2 inch. Put glue around to sea l. Pop off lid of squeezy bottle (with hose connected) and 1/2 fill with t able salt and 1/2 boiled water. Shake as best as possible. Then put lid b ack on bottle. Go to hydrant, push hose end up into faucet of hydrant. An d prop bottle upside down (like an intervense) and start squeezing mixture into hydraunt. Mix bottle frequent between squeezes to make sure salt mixt ure doesn't clog. If it does, blow out salt in hose and start again. This make take a couple tries, but it works.

Reply to
kafoster955

Reply to
kafoster955

Jan of 2011. Wonder if he got it "unthawed" yet?

Though, with the cold this week, might need to "unthaw" it again.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Let it thaw for 3 consecutive summers, If that doesnt' do it, wait until spring.

Reply to
micky

Put some rock salt on top of the ice.

Not sure. insulate? You must be pretty far north...

Reply to
Dan Espen

Hi, Unthawed? Do you want to have it thawed or unthawed? IMO, nothing much can be done right now. Wait for spring/summer.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

SNIP

Remove as much water as possible from above the frozen water, add a few cups of rock salt, Redo the above procedure until well is open. To reply to this message please remove the AT after the kgs1 in the reply to address.

To a conservatist's it truly is a free country, YOU may do whatever they wish. KG

Reply to
KG

I use liquid nitrogen to "unthaw" most things. ^_^

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

replying to jakesm2010, Bob the farmer wrote: I'm not sure about how to thaw it out ,but one of the main reasons they freeze up is from leaving a hose connected when turning it off.It will usually not drain a long hose and ends up leaving water in the hydrant to freeze

Reply to
Bob the farmer

On Sun 18 Feb 2018 05:14:02p, Bob the farmer told us...

When we lived in Ohio our house had freeze-proof exterior faucets where the valve portion was tucked deeply inside the house structure. Of course, if you fail to drain your hose, any water past the valve is subject to freezing.

Reply to
Wayne Boatwright