How do I stop new toilet seat from slipping?

I recently replaced a toilet seat in my house.

But the new one tends to slip a lot - VERY awkward to be sitting on a slipping and shifting seat, obviously.

I'm pretty strong and have hand-tightened the bolts as much as I think is reasonable, and the bottom line is that, subjected to the forces of use, this seat continues to slide.

So I'm wondering if they make rubber washers or gaskets that fit between the actual toilet fixture and the plastic parts that hold the bolts - just something to take friction out of the equation.

And if not that, short of tightening the bolts more (they're as hand-tight as I can get them) or getting a new toilet seat (seems excessive), what else could be done to prevent the seat from slipping?

Reply to
trader-of-some-jacks

Try putting some contact adhesive between the seat hinges and the bowl. Clean both surfaces with alcohol first.

Of course you could always pack some Bondo into the holes around the bolts, but that could make future changes a bit more difficult.

HTH,

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

I think a Colostomy would do the trick.... :-)

Seriously, Maybe a non-slip seat. Might have to get another if plastic, or rubber washers dont work

Reply to
avid_hiker

The last toilet seat I installed had double sided foam tape cut outs that looked like washers and fit between the toilet seat and the ceramic. Tightning the nut down caused you to tape the seat to the bowl. Prevented it from twisting

MAybe I would try some foam tape available just about anywhere. Double sided carpet tape may also work

Reply to
jmagerl

The foam pad mentioned previously is what I've see in some new toilet seat packages. I bet a small piece of old inner-tube, cut to size would stop slipping.

Oren

Oren

Or a dab or just about any caulk.

Bob

Reply to
Bob F

Not painter's latex, please. Some silly-caulk, yep .. agree. It won't warrant railroad car construction adhesive.

I prefer the parts; supposedly packed with the product.

-- Oren

Oren

Reply to
bob kater

Just bought new plastic ones myself and have the same issue. It's a combination of a slick material and bolts that are considerably smaller than the whole they go through.

There were no pads or conical washers with mine either. I was going to try to come up with a sleeve that would make the bolt-to-commode clearance a but tighter.

Reply to
Rick Brandt

see

toilet seat gasket if needed, but spend this $20.99 on a good seat.and use a stainless steel threaded molded to hinge of seat with stainless nuts. HVY DUTY WHITE CLOSED FRONT TOILET SEAT Heavy-Duty Closed Front Plastic Toilet Seat - White - Fits Round Front Toilet Bowls - Stainless Steel Hinge Post - 5 Lb 5 Oz - Mfg #420HPSS

420HPSS 568740 1-5 $20.99 6-11 $19.99 12+ $18.99

trader-of-some-jacks wrote:

Reply to
buffalobill

trader-of-some-jacks wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news-server.rochester.rr.com:

Reminds me of days at the beach when I was a kid. Have to take a dump but having too much fun in the water. Finally it gets wicked and run to the shitter with wet suit on. Sit on toilet and ass slips all over the place.

Reply to
Al Bundy

You need ceramic handles to hold on to. Try

.

Grind flat spots on the bolts first.

Reply to
mm

The remedy is to put velcro on the seat, and the other half of the velcro on one's bottom.

Reply to
mm

I had the problem in the past. What I ended up doing was going out and buying a new seat that had a solid bar across the back where the seat and cover flip down. Once I had one of those, there was no way for the seat to slip to either side.... the other side held it in place and the bar kept it rigid.

This isn't the exact one I got (bought mine at Lowes) but you can see the bar I'm talking about at the back of the seat alongside the hinges.

Reply to
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

nobody told you to play in it, that was on you

I was there when a grown woman pee'd on a pair of jeans in JCPenney dressing room i knew the lady, I handed her the jeans she pee'd on.

by whatever means is neccessary

Reply to
multi-something

Go to Lowes and pick up a pack of seat repair washers. The blue-labeled bubble packs were hanging at the beginning of one of the plumbing supply aisles. The package contains 6 black plastic conical-shaped washers and a hand wrench to tighten the nuts. The wrench looks something like a gray plastic nut driver. This worked for me on two toilets with your problem.

Reply to
JKevorkian

That was the kind I replaced. While I prefer the look of that style hinge, all the tightening (and loosening) has to be done from the bottom which was difficult on both of my toilets due to the clearance around the toilet. Given the length of the bolt and the funny plastic nut used I had no tool that would fit. Was stuck using Pliers.

That made it difficult to get the bolts snug enough when installing and it was a real PITA to get those off as one of the threads was "stiff" all the way to the end on at least one side.

Reply to
Rick Brandt

I have had that problem for years. It appears to me that a big part of the problem is those plastic bolts they provide with them. I have gotten so I throw them away and get some brass bolts. With those I can tighten them down enough to hold. I do use the conical washers that come with the plastic bolts.

Bill Gill

Reply to
BillGill

Use bondo or quksteel to make you a conical washer. While still pliable, make a small donut shaped piece and place it in the top of the porcelain holes and install the seat and let it set for 15 minutes.

It comes off with the seat with a tap on the bolt from the bottom.

Reply to
DK

I've seen some newer toilet seats come with a double sides foam tap, shapped like an o-ring, to help secure the seat. It works like a washer, and keeps the seat from sliding. Might want to see if they have this, or rubber washers to help keep your seat secure.

Just guessing.....

tom @

Tom The Great