How do I remove this shelf in my closet??

Hi we just bought a new home and don't like the organization in our master closet. I am trying to remove the shelves so I lower them and then add another shelving system up above. I have already removed the brackets and clothes hanging bar. The shelf is nailed down to a support piece of wood. I am trying to get this done before my husband gets home so he doesn't get after me for starting it. :) How do I remove the shelf without messing it or the closet walls up??? Thanks!

Reply to
emaalyon

emaalyon spake thus:

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

emaalyon spake thus:

Hit the shelf with a hammer from below near the edges where it's nailed to the support.

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

The simplest solution is to loosen the nails

-- best done by hammering upwards on a strut. The strut is a strong piece of scrap wood (say

2" each way) long enough that, fitted under the shelf at one end, you can see the lower end well enough to hammer it upwards. When the nails loosen by 1/4 inch, you can probably lever underneath with a table knife or claw end of a hammerhead, until you can remove the shelf.

This should leave the supports exposed without damage. Then you can decide whether you want to keep vertical or horizontal supports or both. If you want to remove them, the support system is probably either: (a) if free-standing, screwed into plastic anchors in the wallboard. I.e. you remove the support by unscrewing the screws. (b) otherwise the support system is probably three sides of a box, that fits tightly enough in the cupboard to stand up by itself. Detect whether nails or screws hold it together and remove them as best you can.

If the results leave ugly holes from screw plugs or something similar, these can easily be patched by "drywall compound," sold in tubs (large or small) at hardware stores. You fill the hole, let it dry, then sand the lump smooth. Sand very gently because wallboard is covered by paper and you do not want to tear the paper.

For final finish, the patched holes will be invisible if you either paint the interior or cover it with wallpaper.

Reply to
Don Phillipson

And, to avoid marring the bottom of the shelf, place a piece of wood (or even a junk paperback book) between the shelf and the hammer.

HTH,

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

Thanks a bunch everyone for the info. I got the shelves removed now I am trying to figure out whether or not to take the support piece down or leave it up. How would I go about taking that piece down if I decided to do that? Thanks

Reply to
emaalyon

Hi, If you want to remove them, carefully look how they are held on the wall. By nails or screws. Anyhow if removed, it'll show bare drywall and marks. How about leaving them on and install a coat hook or something to hang small items.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

"emaalyon" wrote in news:1160597558.893944.278850 @i42g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

It may be up with nails or screws. If up with screws, they may have been countersunk and covered. If they did a good job, you can't see them :-( Worst case is they are nailed/screwed and glued. Not usually the case.

Reply to
Al Bundy

Well the support strips were up with nails. All we did was take a pry bar and go from the top and pry them down. Some were slightly damaged but most were in good shape after getting them down. It didn't leave the wall too awful either. They at least textured the wall underneath but it just needs paint and should look good. Thanks everyone. It was a success.

Reply to
emaalyon

"emaalyon" wrote in news:1160666282.851835.56630 @b28g2000cwb.googlegroups.com:

Post a pic of the jack hammered head of a spammer. That will do:-)

Reply to
Al Bundy

emaalyon spake thus:

Well, I think you're now qualified to go into business as a handyperson. You can advertise as a woman-owned-and-operated business.

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

replying to Don Phillipson, Lurene Gisee wrote: The way this shelf is installed, it looks like I'd need blow more money on small construction tools. Also, because they seem attached in multiple ways, I doubt I'd even have the strength to pull the stupid thing off.

Reply to
Lurene Gisee