How do I remove this Honeywell thermostat?

Painting a room at a friend's new/used house. The thermostat in the picture linked below will be replaced within 6-8 weeks, but needs to remain in use until then. Otherwise, I'd just wreck the thing to remove it. The entire thing including large circular back plate have to come off during painting.
http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c197/ancientangler/Therm01.jpg?t 40020999
Seems obvious that at least two of the three flat head screws need to come out, but I'd rather not have the thermostat fall to pieces. Anyone have the answer?
JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

I am remembering back about 25 years, but I think you twist the outer ring and it comes off.
JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

The flat head screws separate the thermostat (as one assembly) from the base plate where the wires are connected. There you will find the screws that actually go into the wall.
There is also a larger back plate that is intended to cover up holes from a previous installation. Depending on what's under it, you may not need to reinstall it after painting.

Thank you. Like the previous respondent, I hadn't touched one of these antiques in 25 years. Didn't feel like guessing this time.

Loosen the screws at 2:30, 6:30 and 8:45 as shown in the photo. The main body lifts off and then there will be two screws holding the sub-base to the wall. Note which wire goes where as it is important to reconnect them the same way.
--
Colbyt

Also, it is most likely a mercury thermostat, using a mercury switch on the end of a bi-metalic coil. You can't just let it hang from the wires if you still want it in use. They must be installed on a firm surface and leveled accurately. It may be better just to temporarily replace it with a cheapie thermostat - one that doesn't use mercury and need to be perfectly level - and let it hang from the wires while you paint behind it. Then install the permanent thermostat when you are finished. Don't smash it nor toss the old one away, take it to a recycling depot that can accept liquid mercury.
EXT wrote:

Johnstone Supply sells construction/dry out thermostats. The things are encapsulated in plastic.
http://tinyurl.com/dhuhp7
TDD

I removed it, and reinstalled it using a pair of 1-1/2" tubular metal spacers & longer screws so it stands off from the wall. Nice & secure. I knew there was a reason I've been saving spacers and assorted metal brackets since 1973.

That's a great idea, too bad none of the rest of us thouught of it.
Colbyt wrote: s
snip

Are those times AM or PM, and do you really have to wait 6 hours and 15 minutes from start to finish ;-)