How Do I Remove Hornets Living Under Cedar Shingle Roof?

Page 3 of 4
The hive is located about 20' off the ground. Maybe using the sparay myselft isn't such a good idea.
Mike

I did that one time just after dark. At 3:00 a.m. I awoke as I was being stung by several bees. During the night they made their way to the bedroom to escape the fumes sprayed in from outside. Next time I hired a pro, cost a bit more but it sure was more comfortable.
Bob

Use wasp/hornet spray just after sundown when the insects settle down for the night. This spray will shoot a stream 10-20 feet. Another alternative is to hire an exterminator.
Savin 7 , by Ortho is a plant dust for fruits and vegetables but is highly toxic to bees and aquatic invertebrates and fish. If you are near a pond or lake don't use it. Ive killed maybe 15 nests with it by filling a meat baster and squirting it in dry. Or in a cup taped to a stick. If you hit the hole heavy , they carry it right into the nest. They also sell it in a garden hose attached sprayer , presumably it will work even better dried. I spray birch trees when japanese beattles come out , one spraying can last a season. But they will swarm inside , hopefully you don't have an interior entrance for them. Look into your attic , you should see the nest if its under the roof. Eaves may be safer unless your wall chases are not blocked as can be in old houses. Either way figure it out before you make them mad. If they are honey bees , the honey must be removed. Yellow Jackets look almost the same but are carnivores and have brighter yellow . If you don't know throw some meat up at the hole if they eat it they are not Honey Bees. Either way you may get them in your house even with a pro. Seal your rooms first incase you must abandon a room. It may be best to attack them from inside as well as outside. I wouldn't work on your shingles for quite a while, also if you have one nest you likely have 2. yellow jackets will even nest in a mole , gopher , or chipmunk hole , under a rock, anywhere. Today I moved an upside down garbage can in a pen. Guess what came out to say hi. They are pests but Yellow jackets eat bugs, good for the garden and eating mosquitos
They are wasPS or hornets living below the cedar shingles on the kitchen bay window.
Mike

Mike wrote:

Put some insecticide dust down the access hole; preferably when the wasps are not active. Methoxyclor 50% wetable powder works good; it only takes a generous pinch to kill out a big wasp nest. The wasps will get it on their feet and track it into the hive.
Bob
Where can I buy Methoxclor 50%?
Mike

Sevin or the other dusts can be bought at home depot. You can only buy it in a big bag, so be prepared to store the rest. I put some sevin dust in a plastic squeeze bottle with a spout on the end in such a way that I can stick the snout up the hole and give a squeze and deliver 1000x more dust than needed for the job. Then hightail it. When I did this to carpenter bees first the mama bee flew out and I ducked from 30 feet up. Then a bat flew out.

Thanks,
Mike

Mike wrote:

I bought a bag of it at a farm supply store a few years ago; it's used as a general purpose insecticide to spray fruit trees, and I think also to dust cattle for fleas. Or something like that.
10% Sevin dust should also work, but not as fast as methoxyclor.
Bob
Either one work on wasps or hornets?
Mike

Big and black, probably Bald Faced Hornets. Nasty when disturbed , they make a round paper nest harboring thousands. Usualy the nest is seen in trees. Or if not to many it could be Bumble Bees. Look in the attic. If you can see the nest in the attic a few foggers at the same time will be a good idea. Same Time, or they will be in the attic.
Nest is under some old cedar shingles over the kitchen bay window.
Mike

Mike wrote:

range spit of chemical that will nock down just about anything flying.. i had this problem when building a garage years ago.. they kept going to the sap in the new wood.... could not finish the job until i got rid of the hornets..... it took me two cans.... they never came back...

That's an idea.
Mike

A while back some yellowjackets made a nest in the edge of the sheeting at the edge of the 1st floor roof. I ordered some seriously lethal bee/wasp poison (at a seriously lethal price) not available in NJ from a FL company that shipped it to NJ :) I mixed it with all kinds of recommended baits, jelly, chicken, hamburger..yada yada yada. They would have none of it. After watching their morning routine (this was early spring), they would wake up with the warmth of the sun around 9am crawl out from the edge of the roof onto the roof about 6 or 7 inches away and rest in the sunlight for less than a minute or 2, then fly away. Usually one at a time, one after another. It then hit me how to get'em. I liberally painted some poison on a spare roof shingle (wasn't sure how it would effect the shingle color, and it did) and laid it on the roof, flush with the edge. Sure enough, when they came out they walked right through it and rested on the deadly shingle. I watched them do this 4 mornings in a row. And then they were gone.
Now if you're bent on trying something you could paint a little poison on the entrance every other day or so (at the right time of course). Or hot glue a little balsa landing pad right at the entrance.
Good ideas. What's the name mof the chemical you used?
Mike

"Mike" snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com

I used Tempo SC http://kill-fireants.com/mcart/index.cgi?PID=IT334&code
1 more thing... I did a fair amount of reading about it before using it. Its not really designed for bees/wasps but extremely lethal to them. Mostly made for spraying, if its applied incorrectly and some mist floats over to some flowers, you wipe out a bunch of innocent pollinators. Not very good.