How Do I Remove Hornets Living Under Cedar Shingle Roof?

Page 2 of 4
I'll try it.
Mike

Mike wrote:

Note, there are lots of different wasp type things. They don't all act the same way.
My method takes two cans, one long range squirt type and one fog type, one in each hand. Both designed for wasp. I have found that as soon as they know what is going on, they all come out to join the party. They come out in a big hurry. The squirt gets most of them as they come out and the fog gets the ones that get past that before they get to me. ;-)
The sprays knock them down in a big hurry. They get about three feet after being hit. Stay at lest four feet away. ;-)
If they are honey bees and not wasp, please don't kill them Call for someone to remove them if possible. Bees are having a really hard time surviving now and need all the help they can get.
--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math
On Fri, 02 Jul 2004 22:06:02 GMT, "Joseph Meehan"

Good advice from someone who's yard always has a nest of yellowjackets somewhere under the lawn.
I do things a little differently. I want until dusk and they're all back home for the night. I sneak up with a can of spray and a large rock. I fire the stream of stuff down the hole then move closer until I can drop the rock onto the hole. Stand on the rock to cover the hole so the little bastards can't escape then back off. I scan around the area in case they have an alternate escape route.
If you might be allergic to them have someone watch you do this so if you get stung and start to swell up (like me) they'll be able to assist you. I keep an epi pen handy now, sort of sucks. :(
rickm wrote:

may have to apply fresh every day for a few days. they will carry it on their wings and body to nest and kill the colony.
What is sevin powder? Where do I buy it?
Mike

"Mike" <> wrote in message > What is sevin powder? Where do I buy it?
Duh, find it at the store between the six and eight powder ;) Sue Northern Wisconsin Invision Whirled Peas
Not sure about sevin, but I've used products from www.gardensalive.com and found them effective. Something for wasps?
Their pantry pest traps did a job on my mealworms.
--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

The nest is about 20' feet off the ground, under cedar shingles.
Mike

"> The nest is about 20' feet off the ground, under cedar shingles. Cancel the "jumping off the ladder" part
For nests in the ground, a very large kettle of boiling water has sometimes done the job. If you don't want to use water, you can use dihydrogen monoxide. You can read about that at www.dhmo.org if I remember the URL correctly.
--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

I doubt DHMO would be very practical (especially heated up good and hot) while standing on a ladder. Safety is essential.
I'll scroll down a bit, and see how you resolved the problem.
--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

When we first moved in the lot next to us (which was part of the deal) hadn't been mowed in years. While walking though it one day I stepped on a hole of yellowjackets and they swarmed. I was stung at least 9 times...this was early spring, they were nice and all PO'd. After swelling like a freaking toad and puking my guts out I staggered over and gave the nest a can full of spray. Then I tossed a little gas on the hole and torched it. My neighbor (who watched this happen) said I should have puked onto their nest. :P

Pouring gasoline or petro products on the ground is polluting your ground water,and eventually the water table.
It's also probably illegal,with a big fine and cleanup costs to remove the contaminated dirt.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik-at-kua.net

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

How would you know? I bet it didn't. I bet some soaked into the ground where there was no O2 for combustion.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik-at-kua.net