How Do I Remove Hornets Living Under Cedar Shingle Roof?

Problem is I'd need tom swat them from while standing on a laddr.

mIKE

Reply to
Mike

The hive is located about 20' off the ground. Maybe using the sparay myselft isn't such a good idea.

Mike

Reply to
Mike

The nest is about 20' feet off the ground, under cedar shingles.

Mike

Reply to
Mike

What is sevin powder? Where do I buy it?

Mike

Reply to
Mike

I know they are not honey bees. These suckers are big and black or very dark colored. Ortho 7 powder, 2 applications, tape a cup to a stick. I like it. They live under some cedar shingles on top of the kitchen bay window.

Mike

Reply to
Mike

Not going to do it. To reeach the hive I've got to get on a ladder 20' off the ground. Like the idea of Ortho 7 powder on a stick.

Mike

Reply to
Mike

Where can I buy Methoxclor 50%?

Mike

Reply to
Mike

Put some insecticide dust down the access hole; preferably when the wasps are not active. Methoxyclor 50% wetable powder works good; it only takes a generous pinch to kill out a big wasp nest. The wasps will get it on their feet and track it into the hive.

Bob

Reply to
zxcvbob

Sevin or the other dusts can be bought at home depot. You can only buy it in a big bag, so be prepared to store the rest. I put some sevin dust in a plastic squeeze bottle with a spout on the end in such a way that I can stick the snout up the hole and give a squeze and deliver

1000x more dust than needed for the job. Then hightail it. When I did this to carpenter bees first the mama bee flew out and I ducked from 30 feet up. Then a bat flew out.

Reply to
Bonzo

I bought a bag of it at a farm supply store a few years ago; it's used as a general purpose insecticide to spray fruit trees, and I think also to dust cattle for fleas. Or something like that.

10% Sevin dust should also work, but not as fast as methoxyclor.

Bob

Reply to
zxcvbob

Savin 7 , by Ortho is a plant dust for fruits and vegetables but is highly toxic to bees and aquatic invertebrates and fish. If you are near a pond or lake don't use it. Ive killed maybe 15 nests with it by filling a meat baster and squirting it in dry. Or in a cup taped to a stick. If you hit the hole heavy , they carry it right into the nest. They also sell it in a garden hose attached sprayer , presumably it will work even better dried. I spray birch trees when japanese beattles come out , one spraying can last a season. But they will swarm inside , hopefully you don't have an interior entrance for them. Look into your attic , you should see the nest if its under the roof. Eaves may be safer unless your wall chases are not blocked as can be in old houses. Either way figure it out before you make them mad. If they are honey bees , the honey must be removed. Yellow Jackets look almost the same but are carnivores and have brighter yellow . If you don't know throw some meat up at the hole if they eat it they are not Honey Bees. Either way you may get them in your house even with a pro. Seal your rooms first incase you must abandon a room. It may be best to attack them from inside as well as outside. I wouldn't work on your shingles for quite a while, also if you have one nest you likely have 2. yellow jackets will even nest in a mole , gopher , or chipmunk hole , under a rock, anywhere. Today I moved an upside down garbage can in a pen. Guess what came out to say hi. They are pests but Yellow jackets eat bugs, good for the garden and eating mosquitos

Reply to
m Ransley

A summer backyard racquet set costs peanuts and certainly less than a can of "hornet killer.". The raquet mesh area is big enough not to miss and perhaps even hit several at once. I didn't have to move much since the racquet length gave me a pretty good reach. On a ladder you will probably be pretty close to the hive, and therefore right on the flight path. Don't need to move. Can't miss.

I took a week but that was because after the first 20 minutes there weren't enough yellow jackets to swat anymore. Same thing the second day. By the third day I was lucky if I I could find ten to swat. I waited for a couple of days, found a few more then didn't follow up anymore.

It was such fun that twenty minutes just flew by and I am no young buck.

Reply to
KLM

Big and black, probably Bald Faced Hornets. Nasty when disturbed , they make a round paper nest harboring thousands. Usualy the nest is seen in trees. Or if not to many it could be Bumble Bees. Look in the attic. If you can see the nest in the attic a few foggers at the same time will be a good idea. Same Time, or they will be in the attic.

Reply to
m Ransley

They are wasPS or hornets living below the cedar shingles on the kitchen bay window.

Mike

Reply to
Mike

Either one work on wasps or hornets?

Mike

Reply to
Mike

Thanks,

Mike

Reply to
Mike

Had a similar thing happen at Grandpa's house. Waited til dusk when they'd all be "Home", then got up on the ladder ( only needed to go about 5 ft up) and blasted most of a can of RAID in the hole, then jumped down and went inside. Next day no sign of wasps. Sealed the hole with caulking after that. No probs 5 yrs later. YMMV

Rudy

"> The nest is about 20' feet off the ground, under cedar shingles.

Cancel the "jumping off the ladder" part

Reply to
Rudy

get a can of hornet spray(really not a spray mist.. it shoot out a long range spit of chemical that will nock down just about anything flying.. i had this problem when building a garage years ago.. they kept going to the sap in the new wood.... could not finish the job until i got rid of the hornets..... it took me two cans.... they never came back...

Reply to
dbird

Duh, find it at the store between the six and eight powder ;) Sue Northern Wisconsin Invision Whirled Peas

Reply to
Susan (CobbersMom)