How Do I Remove Hornets Living Under Cedar Shingle Roof?

Page 1 of 4
This morning I was looking at the cedar shingles on the roof of the kitchen bay window and noticed wasps or hornets leaving\entering a space between two shingles. Tomorrow, I had planed to stain the shingles with opaque Olympic Stain. Don't want to clean/stain the shingles 'til after getting rid of the stinging pests. How can I get rid of them w/o getting stung?
Thanks,
Mike

kitchen
shingles
you look in your yellow pages for a bee removal service and write them a check. the hive could be enormous somewhere inside your house.
First, thought I'd try to do it myself.
Mike

If you don't know how big the nest is,you could be in for real trouble. Call the pros.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik-at-kua.net

And I will second that.
I'm a die-hard DIY'er myself and I pride myself on being able to be able to take care of my own home, but I also pride myself on knowing when to call in the professionals. This is definitely one of those situations where I would call in a pro and let them take care of it. Professionals encounter situations like this all the time and they know how to handle them.
Don't risk getting stung and end up falling off a 20' ladder just to save a few bucks. A wheelchair is a lot more expensive that what it will cost you to have those wasps professionally eradicated.
Just my .02 cents.
I'm starting to see the light.
Mike

in
would
you
http://www.whyy.org/91FM/ybyg/wasp.html
----------------------------------------------------------- spam: snipped-for-privacy@ftc.gov wordgame:123(abc):<14 9 20 5 2 9 18 4 at 22 15 9 3 5 14 5 20 dot 3 15 13> (Barry Mann) [sorry about the puzzle, spammers are ruining my mailbox] -----------------------------------------------------------

I had a yellow jacket problem right under my front door ground level concrete landing that I couldn't reach with chemicals or instruments.. To cut a long story short what I did was to use a badminton racket to swat them as they flew to and out of the hive. Hot dang, it was as easy as hitting shuttlecocks and a lot more fun. The insects were sliced so cleanly and instantly that they never had a chance to send out any warning signals to the rest of the hive. There was never even a hint of a yellow jacket attempting to sting me. Over a week I must have killed enough yellowjackets that the hive no longer had enough workers to keep it going. They never came back.
My neighbor had one under his concrete steps also , he turned on his vacume cleaner on the nest for days till it burnt up, He still had the wasps.
Problem is I'd need tom swat them from while standing on a laddr.
mIKE

A summer backyard racquet set costs peanuts and certainly less than a can of "hornet killer.". The raquet mesh area is big enough not to miss and perhaps even hit several at once. I didn't have to move much since the racquet length gave me a pretty good reach. On a ladder you will probably be pretty close to the hive, and therefore right on the flight path. Don't need to move. Can't miss.
I took a week but that was because after the first 20 minutes there weren't enough yellow jackets to swat anymore. Same thing the second day. By the third day I was lucky if I I could find ten to swat. I waited for a couple of days, found a few more then didn't follow up anymore.
It was such fun that twenty minutes just flew by and I am no young buck.

Think I'll pass standing on a ladder swatting hornets or wasps.
Mike

I've heard of propping a vacuum cleaner hose near the exit hole. Maybe one with a removable bag, so you don't have to tip them out like a shop vac.
Maybe put the hose up to a tailpipe of a running vehicle for a few minutes before you change the bag.
--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Had a similar thing happen at Grandpa's house. Waited til dusk when they'd all be "Home", then got up on the ladder ( only needed to go about 5 ft up) and blasted most of a can of RAID in the hole, then jumped down and went inside. Next day no sign of wasps. Sealed the hole with caulking after that. No probs 5 yrs later. YMMV
If I didn't have to get on a 20+ laddrr I might try it.
Mike

they'd
up)
Mike wrote:

Probably wasps. Here's one enviro-friendly possible: http://www.victorpest.com/wasp_home.htm
Jim
I'll going to buy a can of it.
Mike

kitchen
shingles
How big is the space the hole leads to?
I would squirt some wasp killer into the hole and then put something over it that blocks their egress.
You might get lucky. It has always worked for me with wasps that live in the ground.