How do I "popcorn" just a little bit of ceiling?

I have to repair a small portion of water-damaged ceiling which has a "popcorn" texture. After I've finished the sheetrock and sanding, how do I mix up just a little batch of "popcorn" texture, and how do I apply it to the ceiling. I don't want to have to buy 5 gallons of material, nor do I want to rent the equipment for just a small job. Thanks.
They sell it in spray cans for touch ups
On Thu, 07 Aug 2003 09:31:08 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@spamless.net wrote:

Check out your local DIY places like Home Depot or Lowe's and see if they have 'patch kits' for popcorn ceilings - when I had to fix a leak in my MIL's in Florida I got a kit at Home Depot that had enough to do the job without the need to get a massive amount that would end up at the dump!

I got a couple of three cans to do some repairs. Hint: READ THE DIRECTIONS. Mask everything you don 't want it to get on.
Be ready. You have about three seconds or less before entire contents of can empty out. Seems like about two milliseconds. Hold it above eye level so the blast doesn't get you in the face. (Learned that on the first can.) That stuff comes out frightningly fast. Maintain the suggested distance between end of nozzle and work. Be cognizant before you squeeze the trigger if you are just going to shoot a small spot, or sweep over a larger area. You don't have time to think when it's coming out gangbusters. It is very easy to get too much in one place. You get one shot .......... make it good.
All in all, satisfactory results. Let dry for a couple of days, but take the masking down immediately. May need painting to match. I would do it again now that I have a little experience.
Hope this helps.
Steve
snipped-for-privacy@spamless.net wrote:

if you find a way, let us know... i have the same problem and i got the small spray can and it does not match up to the rest of the ceiling... in one area, very small around an a/c vent, i used a wet sponge and did an artistic job on it and it looks pretty much the same as the rest of the ceiling, but for other areas i would just like to spray some on and not have to do a artist job on it.... after talking to some guys who were buying some spray on supplies at home depot they just about all told me that you gotta scrape off all the old and start over again....if you want it to match...
snipped-for-privacy@spamless.net wrote in message

Hi,
They sell it in a can or tub at home depot for small projects.
oj
OJ wrote:

C'mon OJ. Tell us. You did it didn't you?

ROFLMAO

Hi,
Did what? I don't get it.
oj
Lowe's - Home Depot sells the stuff in bags according to the different texture you require. I did some extensive sheetrock repair in my fiance's house and there was everything from popcorn on the ceiling to almost sand texture on some of the walls. I made the repair and mixed some of the stuff in with the paint. I applied it with a 4" roller - cannot tell there was ever a problem.
Jim Mc Namara

As mentioned by others, they sell this is a pressurized can and comes in about 3 levels of coarseness. What no one has mentioned is that the cans are high pressure (they say that) and that about 3 seconds empties the can (they also say that), so you need to squirt, release, squirt, etc. I took out a stove pipe, repaired the sheet rock and then sprayed the new sheet rock (only a 15 inch round space). Because of the very high pressure and the difficulty in triggering the spray can, the first can produced poor results. So it took another can. Well that was a total of about $16. I didn't buy a $5 dry package and spray it with my texture sprayer because I knew I would have to fool around a lot with pressure, flow, and nozzle to get a match. As it turned out, it would have been easier. Getting a match, just getting even coverage, is somewhat difficult with the pressurized cans.
snipped-for-privacy@spamless.net wrote:

Am I the only one that things she should just get rid of all the popcorn? Or is that too difficult? Kirsten

It's just a whole different headache. And it's not always so easy to get off, although much of it can be.
Getting the old popcorn off is not the problem, fixing the mess the builder left under it IS.
-- "Shut up and keep diggen" Jerry

As you've heard, get a spray can. But I can't overstate that you should cover and seal any and all nearby areas. The best way to describe what's going to happen when you hit that spray buttion is **EXPLOSION**.
Hope you havent tried the spray can yet, they suck. Lowes and home depot both sell a popcorn texture repair kit that comes with a bump gun and texture mixture, I've used these several times and the results are great. When you buy more texture mix, dint buy the premix in the gallon jugs, it dries yellow. They sell small bags of mix specifically for the little gun in the kit.