How do I paint a wooden chimney?

I have a tall chimney above my roof. It's not made of bricks but of siding nailed or stapled to a wooden frame. The paint is old and I'd like to know how to paint it myself, specifically (1) how to cover the top of the chimney, and (2) how to secure the paint bucket from spilling on the roof. The roof is not very steep, but the idea of using a ladder sounds dangerous. Any suggestions or advice on this project? Or do I have to call the pros?

I meant using a ladder on the roof (to get to the top of the chimney).
c gibson wrote:

Sounds to me like the solution is to build a really big fire and you'll not have to paint ever again... :)
I've absolutely <never> heard of a functional chimney either framed w/ or covered w/ wood that wasn't brick or otherwise veneered to prevent any combustible material from being exposed. I assume this must just be a decorative surround around a flue pipe?
How tall is the sucker? It's not all that bad to nail a ledger to the roof and "tie off" a ladder. As for the paint bucket, just hang it from the ladder rung w/ a hook. You could build or rent scaffolding, of course. Dimensions and actual pitch would help to paint a better picture, so to speak... :)
On Mon, 18 Jul 2005 09:24:12 -0500, someone wrote:

flues. But it looks like a chimney and functions like a chimney - the smoke comes out the top of it, so let the guy call it a wooden chimney.
But I'm not sure I get the part about why he needs to cover the top of it???
Why not? Communication skills are important, and to be encouraged any way possible, lest the dumbing-down of Murica continue. Didn't know net-Nazis encourage that.
TTFN, J
Duane Bozarth wrote:

It is not really a chimney, but a double or triple wall stove pipe inside a cosmetic wooden housing. It is common where I live. The wood is primarily a cosmetic factor but also protects the pipe. Commonly use with zero clearance fireplaces and wood stoves. The top is usually sheet metal with pipe extending through 1-2 feet.
I don't what you mean by "cover the top of the chimney", but there's nothing to do to the top unless there's a leak. There's no problem putting a ladder on the roof on the high side of the chimney. You didn't paint a very good picture so I can't say how to tackle the rest.

Rent a bucket truck.