How do I move my shed?

I have a 10' X 12' wood tool shed in my back yard. I NEED to move it so that I can build a wheelchair ramp for my son. I would like to turn the shed 90 degrees so that I can open the doors after the ramp is placed. How would I go about doing this? The shed doesn't have much in it, just lawn care tools. I can get a jack under it and it is sitting in soft earth. If possible, I would like to try this myself or some method that doesn't require too many people. I have lots of people who claim to be my friends until I need a favor. Almost any idea will be entertained (or in some cases entertaining).

Thanks,

PR

Reply to
Lydokane

You might try nailing some 2 X 4s to the corners to make "handles" and get a bunch of people to help "lift and rotate".....

Reply to
Dr. Hardcrab

If no friends get pipe and a Come Along , Pull it where you need it .

Reply to
m Ransley

This might sound like overkill, but here goes ....................................

rent a crane for $100 or so. You will have to get it ready, and depending on the shed, that may or may not be any big deal. Access is a factor, too. Maybe the crane guy would have some ideas. It could be done in an hour, and it would save you a TON of work.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

I moved mine about 10' by using a car jack and 4"black (ABS) pipe as rollers. The come -along idea is a good one if you don't have a lot of hands to push/pull. Also, I used a 6' piece of 2x4 as a pry. I'd sick it something like 6" under an edge of the shed (after it was on rollers) and pry up, sliding the shed sideways.

Have fun!

-Dan

Reply to
qwerty

A man that needed to move the shed a dozen feet used several landscape timbers for it to be rolled on, and a wire cable around it near the base, with 2x4's between cable and building. Used a 6-ton comealong he got from Harbor Freight for 13 dollars. Jacked up the front to put the first timber under it. He connected the other end of the comealong to the base of a tree.

Reply to
Michael Baugh

We moved a one-car garage with a car floor jacks (not sure the size but it was a pretty large one) and a pallet dolly (a large platform with wheels that a pallet of material can be placed on and rolled around in place of having to use a pallet jack). You can probably make something similar out of some wheels and a old pallet for what you need.

Jack the shed up, slide the dolly under, and roll it wherever you need. Then repeat the process to let it back down. Oh, and regardless ow what's in it - empty the shed out before moving it!

Reply to
mwlogs

Reply to
ADC

If PVC pipe is used, make sure it's Schedule 40. Would be cheaper than the landscaping timbers I mentioned a person using, and wouldn't have had the flat spots. He said that if he had it to do again, he'd use fence posts, but the PVC pipe sounds better.

Reply to
Michael Baugh

"SteveB" wrote

Let me know where you can rent a crane for $100!!!

I could make some extra bucks installing rooftop units.....

Reply to
Dr. Hardcrab

Did two AC jobs at $100 per job. The first involved snatching the old unit off, immediately placing the new unit on. The second involved setting the unit off, and then returning three days later and sitting the unit back after the ductwork had been altered. I live in Las Vegas.

Cash job. No receipt necessary.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

So, under the table by someone using a businesses equipment without permission? I don't know of any legitimate business that will even

-move- a crane for $100 let alone do it twice.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

Curious. Why sched 40? that is the thinwall stuff, did you mean Sched 80??

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

Is there a way to just build a door on the side where you want it?

Reply to
eddy eagle

I haven't noticed that Schedule 80 pipe has thicker walls than Schedule

  1. Schedule 80 is a different color and may be stronger, but that's another story.

BTW, while in Detroit the other day I went to HD looking for some Schedule 80 fittings of which my local Lowe's (in W. Michigan) had sold out. I was surprised when the HD people said they didn't sell Schedule

80 stuff, only Schedule 30 and Schedule 40. I've never heard of Schedule 30; is that even flimsier than Scheule 40?

MB

On 07/11/04 08:59 am Harry K put fingers to keyboard and launched the following message into cyberspace:

Reply to
Minnie Bannister

I was surprised when the HD people said they didn't sell Schedule

There is a special Sched 30 which is thin-wall and was designed to fit inside a 2 X 4 stud wall for vent service.

I think what HD was talking about is so-called Schd 35 "SDR" pipe. This is thin-wall sewer/drain pipe used only underground. Requires special fittings to match the pipe OD. Jim

Reply to
Speedy Jim

Few minutes job for big truck mounted crane. May cost about 100.00 or so. I have BIG boulder moved into my yard from across street. Cost me 90.00CAD for 5 mins. job for the crane. Bobcat, Backhoe, either one couldn't even budge it. Tony

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Sched 40 has a wall thickness of 0.237, Sched 80 has 0.337. So, obviously, Sched 80 would be better, if it isn't overkill. Just wanted to remind that there are thinner walled 4" pipe. And that I wouldn't count on Schedule 35.

Reply to
Michael Baugh

I thought that was an interesting post, too!

I think he forgot a 0 ! lol

Have a nice week...

Trent©

What do you call a smart blonde? A golden retriever.

Reply to
Trent©

The diesel fuel ALONE...for the transport and the crane...would eat up

20% of that $100!

You got a great deal...especially on the 2nd unit.

Vegas...the gambling town! lol