How do I inflate a tubeless wheelbarrow tire that fails to seal

Page 1 of 2
I have a wheelbarrow that has a tubeless tire. The tire went flat at some point and sat that way for a while. Now the tire is out of shape and I cannot get it to hold air. Any suggestions on how to fix this short of buying a new tire/wb? Put a tube in it show how perhaps?
Thanks ID

temporarily substitute your wheeled garbage can tote, do not overload.

Had the same problem with a garden trailer tire. I took the wheel & tire to a local discount tire store and they fixed the problem for nothing. Bob-tx

You can try putting a rope around the rim and tire and pulling it tight to force the tire into contact with the rim.
You can also take the wheel to a tire store and have a tube added. I think I paid $8 for tube and labor. Haven't had a flat for years now.
Colbyt
On Fri, 27 Jun 2008 04:42:41 -0400, Irving Drinkwine

Tie a rope around the tire and tighten with a tourniquet. Quickly fill the tire with air and it will self-seal.

I have the same deflation problem, but how exactly does the rope get tied? Does it wrap around the circumference of the tire (i.e. the tread if the tire were vertical) or does it get wrapped around the rim and tire together (horizontal if the tire were vertical). Thanks!!!
On Fri, 27 Jun 2008 05:46:14 -0700 (PDT), Jim Conway
wheelbarrow tire that fails to seal:

Yes, wrap it around the circumference of the tire. Even better than a rope is one of those ratchet tie-down belts that they sell in automotive departments. The kind that are used to secure a load in a truck bed or whatever. Wrap it around the circumference of the tire, pull it tight and then use the ratchet to tighten it enough to get the tire against the rim.

Ditto that suggestion. I do that at least once a year with my wheelbarrow tire. Wrap the tiedown, rachet it down, fire up the compressor, and I'm good until the next time. If it's being real stubborn, I'll smear some petroleum jelly around the bead on both sides, helps it seal a little better.
Jerry

around the tread area, then put something like a tire iron in the rope, twist, reducing diameter of tire add air fast, no slow fill will work.
if the tire went flat once it WILL again, add tube at real tire store, for long term hassle free fix

Spray some flamable liquid from a spray can ( wd40 or such) inside the tire, hit it with a match, the expanding air will seal the tire, just be sure not to catch the thing on fire. ( ed's note - ive never done this, just heard about it being done)

Lay the tire flat on the ground and wrap the rope around it the same as the tread. YOu do not put the rope so thatit crosses the rim, but goes around it the same as the tire. Put the rope in the middle and start tightning it up. The tire will expand the sidewalls and touch the rim. Then you put the air to it.
On Fri, 27 Jun 2008 08:52:05 -0500, "Ralph Mowery"

In all likelyhood, you'll need an air compressor to move a lot of air real fast into that tire. A hand pump isnt going to hack it.
-dickm

I use "Slime" in all our small equipment tires. It's easy to install and when done right, ends all your inflation/deflation problems for good.
--
I\'m JC and I approved this message.

What works better than that is a solid rubber tire.
wrote

Yeah, well you try pulling them through a muddy rice field and let me know how much better you think that works.

It's easier if you use a chuck that bites the stem, then you don't have to use your third hand to squeeze the air supply.
Steve

I have the same deflation problem, but how exactly does the rope get tied? Does it wrap around the circumference of the tire (i.e. the tread if the tire were vertical) or does it get wrapped around the rim and tire together (horizontal if the tire were vertical). Thanks!!!
Put the rope around the biggest part of the circle. Leave an excess loop to put in a handle. Twist handle.
steve
Phisherman wrote:

The last time I had this problem I put my weight on the tire by pushing my forearm across the tire tread while adding air with the other hand. It resealed.
--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN
mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com

I take it you are not a Little Person :-)
Red Green wrote:

Not since the fourth grade. <G>
--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN