How do I drill 90 degrees into wood without a drill press?

I'm trying to attach an unfinished headboard to a bed frame.
This requires me to drill 4 holes into the wood to mount the headboard to the bed frame.
Is there any cheap guide or tool that will let me drill these holes with a portable drill?
Thanks in advance for your help.
Bruce
Bruce K. wrote:

I can't see your headboard, but are you sure you need to drill exact 90 degree angles? If you are just drilling through, say, 3/4" wood to put screws or bolts into the bed frame, you shouldn't need to do much of anything special.
If you really need to drill accurate 90s with something inexpensive, you can get drill attachments such as this:
http://tinyurl.com/9w452
Ken

Google for "Portalign". I don't know if these are still being made, but there are three of them on eBay at this moment. Prices range from $7 to $9.15 US.
Or, same idea, a little pricier, but possibly better quality: http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?familyIDS63
Different approach: http://www.rockler.com/ecom7/product_details.cfm?offerings_id $08
Google on "drill guide" "portable drill" and you'll find lots of choices.
--
Regards,
"Bruce K." wrote:

A trick is to use a mirror and a square...
Duane Bozarth wrote:

Does it need to be a square mirror?
Won't the hole then be from the wrong side???

..top posting repaired...
bill a wrote:

No, it'll just be oriented 90-degrees off...
Duane Bozarth wrote:

That of course, was intended to be 180... :)

he can't use a hole that's 180 deg reversed... his nuts will be on display! :D ml
but where do you get drill bits with left hand twist?

bill a wrote:

Seek and ye shall find... :)
http://www.irwin.com/irwin/consumer/jhtml/browse.jhtml?catId=IrwinCat100064
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

LOL !
inappropriate, or disruptive, please ignore it. If you don't know
bill a wrote:

To compensate for that you simply Centralize the Hypotenuse of the Quadrilateral. ;-)

inappropriate, or disruptive, please ignore it. If you don't know
G Henslee wrote:

Actually, the easiest way is to use a folding mirror at 90-degree. Set a small square where is reflected in both and line the drill up against its relection in the mirror by sight--can get quite accurate in both directions.
Duane Bozarth wrote:

Hmm, I figured, round hole - round mirror.
Thanks for the help.
Bruce
On Thu, 23 Jun 2005 07:06:58 -0400, Bruce K.

You might try a woodworking dowel jig from HD. I think they are about $15. Many uses, but should do the trick.