How do I diagnose problem with Mr Coffee coffeemaker?

I have a problem with my Mr. Coffee (model prx33) coffeemaker. The other day my wife ran vinegar water through the machine to clean out any build up. This is a recommended regular procedure. After doing this, the machine would not work. While the lights on the display came on, water would not run through the machine to make coffee. Additionally, the heating plate did not seem to get hot.
I opened the unit up to look for the thermal resistor. I checked for continuity through the resistor and found that current flowed through it. I assume that this test would indicate that the resistor is good. What else should I try? Is there some place on the web that will indicate a step-by-step procedure that I could follow in diagnosing the machine?
Thanks, Al Kondo
What is the resistor spec in ohms? Is it marked or have colored bands? Check for resistance and compare to spec. Or save yourself the trouble and spend the $30 on a new machine. They're pretty much disposable these days. What is your time worth if it takes 8 hours to trouble shoot and fix? For that much you could probably afford one of those fancy espresso/cappucino models.
7.3. Marked and colored. $175.00 an hour.

I'm guessing you mean the thermal cutout (TCO) Did you disconnect one end of it before you checked continuity?

According to the manual there is a temperature control knob. It may have been turned all the way down. I have also seen other coffe makers that won't work unless the flashing 12:00 is set to a time. http://www.householdappl.com/downloads/PRX30_PRX33.pdf
--
No matter what happens, someone will find a way to take it too
seriously.
Al Kondo wrote:

Frankly if you have to open it up, a Mr. Coffee is not worth the trouble. The are designed to be inexpensive to produce as a throw-a-way. badgoffer did offer a good suggestion however, and that dies not require opening it up.
--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit
On Wed, 06 Jul 2005 16:52:37 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@hal-pc.org (Al Kondo) wrote:

This applies to scale on my kettle. There is a heavy buildup of that stuff on the heating coils. I'd prefer not to use vinegar because its not effective and the cost of vinegar will probably be more than a replacement kettle by the time the loss of efficiency becomes significant. On one occasion the kettle boiled dry and I added water before it fully cooled. The scale buildup cracked. The scale debris messed up my cup of tea. I have been using this dry heat procedure to remove scale since.
My mr coffee costs 19.95 at kmart and it has been working like a dream for years. No controls, just an "on" button. I love it, simple as hell, and makes excellent coffee - also noted as a best buy by Consumer Reports. Given the price, if the machine so much as hiccups, I buy a new one.......

Al Kondo wrote:

Easy way. Call Mr Coffee and tell them the sad tale. They will probably give you a new machine for the shipping costs. I do this every two years or so with my Black&Decker.