How do I cut plexiglass?

Page 2 of 2

I assume you're referring to "notbob" here...as I am in agreement with the scribe method.
notbob wrote the following:

2 inch thick plexiglas to be used in a window? Is the rest of the house armored too? I converted 5 ~14" x 28" hopper type basement single pane windows to double pane using 3/32" thick plexiglas. I used the plexi cutter. It produces a lot cleaner cut than a power saw can produce, and a lot cleaner for the shop too, since there isn't plexiglas granules flying all over the place.
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

I'm sorry, but not having a crystal ball or able to read minds, I no idea. I jes know what works and what doesn't.
nb

Yeah, because the OP is installing 2" plexi in a window.
In wrote:

No; go read it. He has to cut off a 2" strip; that's different. But it can still be done.

I was being sarcastic. Guess I should have added a <rolling eyes>

Yeah, I used that "goofy" method for over 20 yrs while I was in the glass business.

The OP wasn't talking about "tubes", and yes I have cut 1/2" using that method.

Yep, that's the ticket. I use that all the time to cut acrylic (generic Plexi) for picture framing. That's thinner than window acrylic sheets, but works the same. Just score it MANY times the first time you use it. Too much scoring won't hurt (you might eventually score all the way through), but it you don't score it enough, it can crack away from the score. Make sure the two ends of the line are particularly well scored. And clamp your straightedge so it doesn't shift.
Traditionally you put the score on a sharp table edge and bang on the overhang. Since the OP is only cutting off 2", it may be a good idea to use a tool to grip and break the acrylic. May be hard to find a cheap one that will grip 2" though.
Edward

I used to cut/machine a lot of plexi where I used to work. A band saw is best. At home, I'd use a jig saw with a coarse blade. Leave the protective paper on till after cutting. Bee's wax or kerosene make good cutting lubes. If using a jig saw, clamp on some sorta straight edge to hold a straight line. DO NOT slow down or stall during the cut, as the plexi will heat up and begin to melt. If you must stop, back out of the cut immediately. HTH
nb

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=how+do+I+cut+plexiglass%3F
One of those small plastic letter openers.
In typed:

Same way as you do glass. In fact, they make a tool specifically for scribing the plexiglas to snap it off. Saws, etc will leave you with nothing but a melted plastic mess on the plex and blade both - don't even bother with any other method. I've done it many times - scribe, snap, Done.
HTH,
Twayne`

Correct! Most full-service hardware stores have a glass-cutter that also "scores" plex. The scribe is something like a lathe cutting-tool (only it comes to a point).
On Oct 11, 9:25pm, snipped-for-privacy@myplace.com wrote:

With a $3.00 plexiglass cutter. Home Depot sells them.

Glass shops don't use saws. Only use saws for Lexan.